Just a thought-How to adapt a oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a push mower, a 5 horse craftsman with the tecushmen(sp) engine. Its about 7 yrs oil, and runs flawelesly. Ive replaced nothing on it (parts wise). I run carb cleaner often through it, use 89 octane, and change the oil yearly. It sees about 5 hours a week of use in the summer months (4 months maybe). It runs like the first day we bought it, starts on first pull, and no smoke.

Anyways, i know i dont need it, but i was wondering how hard it would be to put a full flow filter or some kind of filter on the oil? Or an oil cooler?

Any ideas? I just want it to have clean oil
rolleyes.gif

Hopefulyl somone has some ideas which would be "safe" to try out?

Roman

I think it'd be difficult at best, because you'd need some sort of oil pump to circulate the oil through the filter. And right now, that engine doesn't have a pump -- it's splash-lubed. If you want clean oil, take an extra 10 minutes every few months and drain it and refill. If you change your own oil in your vehicles, you already have the drain pan there, and the 1/2 qt. of oil that comes out of your lawn mower can stay in that pan (if it's a closed container) until you change your car oil and take it to recycle.

if its a pushmower engine, it probably just has a small fill hole for adding oil, right? No dipstick, just a small plastic cap that you can take off to eyeball if more oil is needed.

Probably what you could do is take one of those caps, and use some very thin tubing going through the cap - one for intake (a long one) and one for return. You could use a very small pump (it would have to be designed to take the temperatures, and I cant comment on that), to run off of a battery and pump the oil through a fuel filter type element, which can be put inline.

You dont want to start messing with filter mounts and all that stuff, an inline filter would let you keep things clean and keep it easy.

Your better bet honestly would be to go to a marine store, buy an electric oil pump, and after youve used the mower every time, suck as much as you can from the filler hole, and send it through some sort of a filter (maybe the inline type?) and back to the sump. Do this a few times, running it inbetween, and youll have cleaner oil. Or, just use this device (or just straight up drain the oil) every couple uses and itll stay clean.

I dont think its worth it to go through that much effort on a relatively inexpensive lawnmower that is designed at least to some extent to run on potentially dirty, unfiltered oil.

JMH

Nope, their is a dipstick on this engine to check the level, and that is the same place you add oil too. To drain, your right, a plug on the bottom.

I know its not necessary, but it would be cool to have...and ofcoarse the mower would prolly last a real long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back