Junk car caravan

One thing I've noticed in the last few years is I'll see what I'm going to call a "junk car caravan" -

One car towing another down the interstate (they are always heading south it seems like). The lead car usually has minor damage and the towed car has the front bumper cover removed and a tow bar attached to the metal bumper underneath. Usually there are additional brake lights attached to the towed car and the towed car will also have some body damage.

I guess what is happening is small-time car lots are buying rolling vehicles at auction with moderate body damage in order to repair and flip, but they don't have a car carrier to haul them back on. Or maybe this is just a more efficient method if you don't have a semi to haul cars.

Have you seen this? Do you have any more insight?

One thing I've noticed in the last few years is I'll see what I'm going to call a "junk car caravan" -

One car towing another down the interstate (they are always heading south it seems like). The lead car usually has minor damage and the towed car has the front bumper cover removed and a tow bar attached to the metal bumper underneath. Usually there are additional brake lights attached to the towed car and the towed car will also have some body damage.

I guess what is happening is small-time car lots are buying rolling vehicles at auction with moderate body damage in order to repair and flip, but they don't have a car carrier to haul them back on. Or maybe this is just a more efficient method if you don't have a semi to haul cars.

I saw one today, including a beat up bumperless Fusion towing a bigger vehicle (small SUV?) on I-75 N in KY. When I saw the rear vehicle towing a car on a dolly, and another empty dolly on the towed car's hitch-I got as far away as possible! I'm sure they had a CDL for pulling that "double"! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, they go towards Mexico usually. Probably cheap cars to rebuild and resell. Once I saw 3 cars connected that way…

Very common here. Going to Mexico to be repaired or chopped for parts. Used parts are gold in Mexico.

Same thing on I-25 south. You see three car caravans all the time. Sketchy and slow, but I've never ever seen the CSP pull any of them over.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
We saw this last May on I-10 in Louisiana and the Florida panhandle and they were going east. Can't get to Mexico that way. Super sketchy wondered how it could be legal and no way the police didn't see them.

Reactions: JTK
It’s a reality when you have a virtually third world country next door. ( no, not Canada) It’s a very good example of helping an economy along. No shame it it and I hope they get home safe. I do see the safety issue. That’s too bad.

It's a scrapper, there are people that go around to dealers and buy the complete junk trade ins they take in. They'll sell them as a package, one good one but you have to take these two.

My dad has seen this on a few occasions in Arizona. NPR has an article about it. Mexican dealers/ repair shops are looking for old Toyotas Nissans etc that are easy to work on with minimal tools.

Going to Mexico.

Back