JT20's running Infiniti J30 condition assessment and maintenance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
20210117_152927.jpg

Well there's your problem.

"There's your problem, lady!" - South Main Auto 🤣🤣

Cool, now let's go order some inexpensive parts from Rock Auto.

I stink from PB Blaster.

Shower, then to check the fuses. Work tomorrow so Infiniti related activity should be more a weekend thing.

Keep those washers, they're special for this and will be hard to source if lost.

You could put it back on to keep the parts in place until you have a new one.

I didn't place the order yet, but my cart is assembled.

Question: Even if the $10 shocks.. All they have to do is work. Are they "ambidextrous"?

You should grab a bunch of things together to cut down on the shipping charge. Like your hood shocks, belt and spark plugs. They don't have free shipping. And don't forget to use the 5% off code, that also works even on closeouts.
You can always find it in retailmenot.com.

Oh now that I think of it, the closeout stuff always seems to come from a different warehouse so unless there's other stuff on closeout, the shipping won't matter.
I'm not seeing where to enter in the "code" ?

I didn't place the order yet, but my cart is assembled.

Question: Even if the $10 shocks.. All they have to do is work. Are they "ambidextrous"?
Never really heard of those brands aside from FCS and Sachs. I think FCS is known to make cheap stuff and Sachs is oem for several manufacturers including Mercedes and they have a lifetime warranty. Not sure how long you're going to have it, but for $6, I'd just do the Sachs.

You should grab a bunch of things together to cut down on the shipping charge. Like your hood shocks, belt and spark plugs. They don't have free shipping. And don't forget to use the 5% off code, that also works even on closeouts.
Bingo. This is why I’ve recommended waiting to assess the car and make a list. If definitely will need more stuff if op is going to keep it and run it.

If you look at the idler, there's a bolt in the back that moves it up and down. Seems that's what you do to tighen/loosen the belt.

Oh yeah, are you going to add spark plugs and who knows what else? For me, it looks like once you add the Sachs hood support, there's no similar warehouse where you can get the belt from the same place to save on shipping.

Should I get the belt tool?

Switching the cheap-os for Sachs now

If you look at the idler, there's a bolt in the back that moves it up and down. Seems that's what you do to tighen/loosen the belt.

Oh yeah, are you going to add spark plugs and who knows what else? For me, it looks like once you add the Sachs hood support, there's no similar warehouse where you can get the belt from the same place to save on shipping.
I'm between two windows looking back and forth lol

Question.. Does the belt tool simply stretch the belt?

I'm between two windows looking back and forth lol

Question.. Does the belt tool simply stretch the belt?
Worse than that, all it does is reach the belt in hard to reach places, all you have to do is wrap the belt around the pulleys. If you can't get to the belt to wrap it around the pulley, you use that tool. I doubt you'll need it. If you can stretch a belt enough to fit it over a pulley, then the belt will be too loose.

I doubt you'll need the tool, you can't stretch a drive belt you need to loosen the tensioner to create enough slack to slip it over the pulley. Hood struts aren't a critical item (as most cars don't even have them) and since they all invariably fail from age and not use I don't see anything wrong with getting a cheaper brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back