John Deere GT 225

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about buying a John Deere Gt225 tractor. It has the original Kohler Command 16 hp. vertical shaft single cylinder, air cooled engine. Not knowing a lot about this style of Kohler, I seek your input on how reliable/dependable they are. Are they as good as the tough as nails older K series?

Not quite as tough as the old K Series but still a good engine. Mine has 360 hours on it and runs like new. Currently using Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage.

Those are very good engines. Full pressure lubrication, usually have cast iron sleeves. I rarely see any major problems with them. I see a lot of them on walkbehind commercial mowers with tons of hours on them. The only real issue I see on them is ignition coils failing, but they are cheap and easy to replace and don't fail often.

They are much better engines than their Briggs single cylinder Intek counterparts.

HM, they're nice machines. This would have been a slightly less expensive model than one of that vintage equipped with a Kawasaki engine. My family owned a ~1991-92 GT262 for a number of years. It had a 17hp Kawi single cyl and a TuffTorq 5spd fender shift trans IIRC. What deck and trans are on this unit? To me, those are always more important than the engine anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back