E3 plugs - an experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who is a tinkerer, any way to make something better always interests me.

I have read many threads about E3 plugs since they came out. Some think they are junk, others like them. I have decided to give them a try in a couple machines, and report my findings.

*I recommend not running these in a car engine, as cars are tuned much differently than carb'd engines.

In order to fairly compare the plugs, I tested them under similar conditions. Each one was used for two weeks time, and each was cold started and hot started the same number of times. The fuel was the same both times, and contained stabilizer. Both plugs were gapped to manufacturer specs for the machine.

1. Makita 52cc Chainsaw:
-Started 5-6 pulls on cold start with a new Champion
-Started 2 pulls on cold start with E3 plug
-Started 1 pull on a hot start with a new Champion
-Started 1 pull on a hot start with E3 plug
-Seemed to have more power throughout powerband with E3
-No change in fuel consumption

2. Echo GT-160 Weed Trimmer
-Started 3 pulls on cold start with a new Champion
-Started 1 pull on cold start with E3
-Started 1 pull hot start with both plugs
-Revs quicker with E3 plug when cold started
-No change in fuel consumption

3. Briggs and Stratton 5 hp on Gilson Tiller
-Started 2 pulls on cold start with both plugs
-Started 1 pull on hot start with both plugs
-No change in fuel consumption, or how the engine runs

4. Makita Hand Held brush cutter
-Same results as the Echo weed trimmer

5. 5 hp Briggs and Stratton on Toro walk behind mower
-Started 2 pulls cold start on new Champion
-Started 1 pull cold start on E3
-Started 1 pull hot start on both plugs
-No change in power

6. Kohler Command 25 HP V-Twin on John Deere tractor
-no change between Champion and E3

In conclusion, according to the equipment I tested, the E3 did not show much change in any of the 4 stroke machines except the Toro mower. It seemed to improve the cold start slightly on the Toro. The E3 definitely made a noticeable difference on the 2 stroke machines. They started much easier, revved quicker, and seemed to have more power. The Echo GT-160 is a small trimmer that would often bog down in thick grass. It didn't bog nearly as much with the E3 plug. All 2 stroke machines are running a 50:1 ratio with synthetic 2 stroke oil.

I don't think the E3 plugs are worth the money for 4 stroke engines, since they cost a bit more and the change is hardly noticeable if any at all. They do seem worth the money for 2 stroke engines, especially those that are not used very often. My Makita saw is rarely used, and was often hard to start. This has improved with the E3.
thumbsup2.gif
My guess is that since the E3 resists fouling better and has more electrodes, it shows the most improvement in the two stroke engines.

I agree with your assessment. I have had good luck with them for years in OPE. I would never install them in auto.

not to be rude, but what does this prove? my son thought i could put a split fire in his go kart and it go from 5hp to 10, but i knew it wouldnt wo trying it

The last set of plugs I had in my 89 Accord LXi (fuel injected) were E3's. I got them on sale from Drivewire. I thought they were fine. I put at least 10,000 miles on them before damaging the car and getting rid of it. They worked the same as any other set of plugs I ever put in the car in 23 years, fine. Same fuel economy and no noticeable change in power.

In the past I used Champion (came in the car when new), Autolite platinum, Bosch platinum, NGK regular, Denso regular, and Split Fire (got them on clearance when one of the local K-Marts closed).

About the only gimmick I haven't tried is Pulstar plugs.

Spark plugs are to gearheads what giant exhaust pipes are to ricers.

If they work for you, sure, but I think I'll trust the science that says there's no way having more metal ground electrode in the way somehow improves anything...especially considering it doesn't change the way it fires at all.

Unless its misfiring then, obviously, new (any type) plugs will do something.

Well, platinum or iridium plugs do last longer than conventional type plugs. So, if they don't cost twice as much or if you have a car for which changing plugs is difficult they do have their place. Other than that, I do not recall that they performed any better than non-platinum. I used to change standard plugs at 30K miles and platinums at 50K miles.

My understanding was that the super sized electrode was meant to take up more space in the combustion chamber effectively making it smaller and raising the compression a bit. I thought that was the whole purpose for all the power gains that were originally claimed for these plugs. That may be a good thing in some engines but I don't imagine it does much of anything in a computer controlled engine since all it would do is retard the timing to keep it from pinging. Usually these gimmick items do not work well or create issues most of the time. Seems that they may be a good thing for 2 stroke engines though. I think this was a great test and valuable information.

Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape
not to be rude, but what does this prove? my son thought i could put a split fire in his go kart and it go from 5hp to 10, but i knew it wouldnt wo trying it

Good question. Without a much larger sample size (hundreds or thousands of engines) it is impossible to "prove" anything. I just figured testing them out in a couple different environments and sharing my experiences would help others.

Do I think they are a great bargain? Not really, since they are much more expensive than your average plug and as seen in my results only made a noticeable difference in 2 strokes. My post wasn't meant to sway people into liking/disliking them, I only wanted to provide some experience. I often feel that before I can form an opinion about a product, I must experience it for myself.

As shown in my results, I didn't see any significant changes in the 4 stroke engines. Even flathead vs. OHV didn't matter. In the 2 stroke engines they made a difference. I wouldn't go around saying they gave me an extra "X" amount of power, but they improved the overall smoothness of the engine. They also improved starting, and the improvements in starting a 2 stroke engine is worth the few extra bucks to me. They also last longer, and some 2 stroke engines have a tendency to foul plugs. I'd rather buy one $6 plug that lasts longer and provides easier starting than two $2 plugs if I have an engine that fouls plugs.
thumbsup2.gif

I think this thread was for yard equipment and autos. I had a E3 in my Honda mower for two seasons and still looked fine. Took it out for Honda brand plug with the same result.

I have played with different plug brands/styles and a tachometer on chainsaws and trimmers. No noticable difference. I imagine there is a fair amount of hype in spark plug marketing.

Besides longevity, the only other thing that is of possible value with precious metal fine wire plugs, is they are supposedly are "easier" on the ignition systems. Are they worth it on older equipment or an old ATV/motorcycle.....or more hype?
21.gif
Thanks for tinkering and sharing results Jeepman!

Last edited:
From my understanding Shindaiwa recommends the NGK or equal which would be Denso on the newer 2 stroke engines because it runs hotter. From testing a plug that doesn't stay in grade(heat range) can significantly reduce engine's longevity it's been tested(hotter engines).

Echo being the parent company may market it to use NGK or it's equal on plugs your call on what to use but it has been tested.
Point is replacing a hard working spark plug for optimal longevity rather prolonging it's usage which has been the norm for small engines. NGK or Denso are quality consistent spark plugs..for long term usage they are recommended.

Ya know, I just changed from massive electrode aviation plugs like these:
rem37byelectrode.jpg

To precious metal, fine wire plugs like these:

Autolite-XL-1004b.jpg

In my Lycoming powered Cessna 177RG. There was absolutely no difference in power output, fuel consumption, idle quality or other nebulous quality. The only advantage is less plug fouling, which I did not have a problem with anyway. For such a radical change in technology, there were no operational changes. My aircraft is well and accurately instrumented and EGT, fuel flow, CHT's, speed, altitude and climb were 100% unaffected by the change.

Fancy spark plugs are not helpful, when compared to fully functional, conventional plugs.

Originally Posted By: Cmarti
I have played with different plug brands/styles and a tachometer on chainsaws and trimmers. No noticable difference. I imagine there is a fair amount of hype in spark plug marketing.

No doubt...

If a product is presented with facts from testing I may try it, hype just turns me away...

A two cycle needs to be run hard to prevent plug fouling... My 10 year old, $59 Weedeater still has the original CJ6Y Champion that came it, always starts and no doubt has seen fuel mixtures of 15:1 or less...

I appreciate the effort, but im almost positve that a spark plug as electricty takes the path of least resistance. And in a 2cycle the harder the engine is reved the less likely to foul a plug and not only that, but the better the mixture is burnt making an oil clogged mufflers less of an issue as well.

Don't aviation plugs have to have extremely high quality standards? I can't imagine too many of snake oil products in this market place!

FWIW, I have used the E3 plugs in my Husqvarna Chainsaws and they scream just fine.

The biggest difference is in ease of starting tho as the E3's have made a difference there.

In around '04-'05, I put an E3($5.99) into a 1996 Craftsman push lawnmower w/ 6 hp Briggs.

The engine did run a bit smoother and started easier but, but, I needed another spark plug anyway and I don't really know if a regular $1.99 Champion Plug wouldn't have done the job just as well!

*The E3 Plug,
*Adjustment of the coil w/matchbood cover
*Cleaned the carb
*Cleaned the rust off of the flywheel
*MMO in the gas
*Regular Motor Oil and 87 octane

I don't know which made the engine run as well as it did. Probably all of the above!

Try a platinum or iridium plug and do the same test.
The fine wire plugs require less voltage to fire. you will notice a difference right away.

My wife likes to use the old push mower instead of the zero turn but could never start it cold, she couldn't pull it through fast enough.
With a platinum plug she can start it first pull so i don't have to leave the A/C and go out and do it.
lol.gif

I should add my plug data from this summer. I tried the E3 plugs on my Bolens Weed Trimmer And Yard Machines 21" Push mower. The E3 made a huge difference with My bolens trimmer. The original Champion Plug gapped correctly never ran correctly and was difficult to start. The E3 made it idle smoother, and start easier. The Yard Machines push mower I have consumed less fuel with the E3 Plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back