Jobs that stink....

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does one go through life with a job that stinks.
I had a job at a large bank until Oct of last year. I took a job in May of this year that pays a little less and has quite a bit more work to do. I make up what pay I lost with a part time job elsewhere.
I actually like the people at my part time job, although it stinks too, the personalities aren't as bad at my part time job as they are at my full time job.

At the bank I could come home and relax. I almost never had to work nights or weekends. With this new job it is sometimes nights, sometimes weekends, and it is difficult to juggle schedules of coordinating both jobs.
Hence I am never home, and when I am I sleep or do more work. Yard work, house work, fixing another something, and thinking about all the other things that I would like to be doing instead.

We are getting ahead financially. Due to Dave Ramsey and knocking out debt for the first time ever. The second job makes up for more than what I lost when I took that new job. But it is taking a toll.

I'm really tired. Not like military fall-asleep-at-front-leaning-rest type tired, but mentally drained.
I used to come home and enjoy relaxing. I would read, play video games, watch TV or DVDs with my wife, or just go and plan my next remodeling project with her.

(I like to tinker and build stuff so we pick a project once a year or so and attack it, or at least we did before Dave Ramsey. For now it is Debt Snowball time!)

My wife is a full time student. She takes classes during both the day and night so we don't see each other much.The good part about all that is that I have almost paid off all her student loans. She will still be taking some out as she goes, She has 2 more years of school the last I heard. But I am pretty sure I can pay those off almost as fast as she takes them out, and take a fair chunk of large payments on my student loans as we go.

But I'm not enjoying it. Is this how it goes? Tired all the time, feeling burned out and not getting to do anything fun in your life?
How do you guys do it?

I'm trying to keep this family friendly. But man, Boot Camp wasn't this hard. I thought after College (which included 5 years of Marital Arts, combined with 5 years of ROTC and all those classes) that things would calm down and life would get easier. It seemed to there for awhile.

Maybe I am just getting soft at the ripe old age of 30. I hear age makes you mellow out. I just feel angry about everything and I don't know what more to do. I can't figure out a more acceptable alternative.

Shoot, I don't even have kids yet. We are planning that after she is done with College.

To top it off the oven went out tonight. Had a repair man come by a week ago and tell us that it was on the way out. He replaced the blown fuses, but he said that it was probably the motherboard. Looks like he was right. Going to have to blow my emergency fund on this one... or just figure out how to make the toaster oven and microwave oven work in lieu of for the time being.

I know I am well off compared to all the folks that have lost their house, or can't find a job, or are going through all the above and more. Maybe I should find some of them and ask them how they do it. Focusing on one foot in front of the other is kind of what I do now. Focusing on the immediate objective, tiny achievable steps, instead of the huge inundating picture.

But that can't be the end all be all of how you do things. It is no fun. All work and no play makes for a good employee I know. But that only works if you do something you love.

You're thoughts are welcome. Going to be up late tonight. Got another software push for this stinking job.

How do you guys do it?

Keep it up for 35 more years.

Start your own business. Either you will get rich, barely make it, or get so angry you'll actually see things are not stacked in favor of businesses.....

Just saying.

I'm five years older and recently came to the revelation that 2% raises, over the long term, leave you broke. So I'm trying to switch industries. The clincher is my current job has (had) good night & weekend hours, but they're putting me on the day shift. So now the kids are in day care and... drumroll... my current work lost its reason for being. It's not the money keeping us here, it's a house of cards and some little thing might make people leave.

But I hear you on house projects. I got a truck to flip, in March, that I was going to sell after the kitchen remodel was done. We've stalled at the tile floor. Wife wants to do it but she wants her dad (carpenter) to do the corners and the tricky stuff then she can go nuts down the middle. We decided on a tile so I went, picked it up, unloaded it in the garage (my garage) and now it's sitting there blocking traffic.

So yeah, one thing follows another. It doesn't help that we keep getting hurricanes and early fall snowstorms!

Good on you for keeping a budget. Trust me, once you get the student loans paid off, wifey will want kids and to spend all sorts of money on them. May be worth drawing a line E-A-R-L-Y that time is worth something too and you're working the 2nd job for a common goal of debt reduction, if that's what pleases you. (Not saying kids aren't worth spending $ on, but if you are budgeting for kids, try to do it with a single income first.)

I can sympathize but offer no help! I'm graduating this quarter (supposedly) with a PhD in biomedical science. It takes most of time. Really tired now. I was looking into polyphasic sleep so maybe I could sleep less and feel alert. There was a time in undergrad when I was working in a factory and taking classes. I would get 2 hours of sleep one night, and six the next. That sucked.
Sucking it up and caffeine is all I can offer. Any my sympathy!
BTW I never use the oven. You have a microwave AND a toaster oven! Fancy!

You find a way.

In my case, it's for the kid. I work retail, and hate it. My job is now on the line ALL of the time. A slow week could be the end for me....it's a scary thing. You kill yourself, with nearly no money. As bad as it sounds, I'll kill for a good 35k/year job right now.(Yes, I know it sounds bad) We are very careful with our money..since there is not of it.

I keep my head up knowing 1) We'll be able to afford a house soon...having a small mortgage will help us save money.
2) I'm working hard to find another job...and it will happen.
3) our savings is slowly building...so that we are ready for surprises.

Don't need Dave Ramsey...just need a little common sense when it comes to money...I have no fancy cars, Cable, or huge cell phone plans.

That, and I can't wait to start my own business as well....

It's hard (that is for sure), but it will worth it.

The way our country is right now younger folks will have to work twice as hard to have what people took for granted 20-30 years ago. As long as you are healthy and have a roof over your heads don't sweat the small stuff, in time you will get what you want in life.

Dave,
How old are you? I ask cause you mentioned wanting a career change.

I am 46 years old and somewhat in the same boat. Financially, I am probably worse off. Recently, I changed jobs for the better and am able to at least make ends meet. Just barely avoided bankruptcy.

As one who has been there and done that (and still doing it to a large extent), I would say that you are on the right track. If you can achieve a "debt free" status, that will give you the freedom down the road to do the things you want. It will take some short term struggling, but in the long run, you should be able to position yourself so that you can finacially be able to choose a job you enjoy, the freedom to leave if you don't like your job, and hopefully, the financial resources to do the things you want.

When your wife finishes schooling and enters the job market, remind her of the sacrifices you are making now should she choose to complain about your play time later.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
The way our country is right now younger folks will have to work twice as hard to have what people took for granted 20-30 years ago. As long as you are healthy and have a roof over your heads don't sweat the small stuff, in time you will get what you want in life.

Dave,
How old are you? I ask cause you mentioned wanting a career change.

True....thanks goodness I like to enjoy the simple things...never can get into all the hype for stuff.

Me? 33. And boy do I need a change....

I'm 30.
And from what I am reading I am in good company.
Reading about being in the boat with others actually helps.
Thanks guys.

lots of overtime, even on salary, is the norm. our family income is less than half what it was 4 years ago. chalk that up to both of us losing our jobs. I'm working again but the days are VERY long. 12-15 hour days are common a few days a week. yes, I feel drained much of the time. I dont really dwell on it and take it day by day. 3 kids and all of the associated activities. I coach two-three youth sports teams and also lead another youth organization. somebody told me that I'll get plenty of rest when I'm....

anyway, despite it all, I feel lucky.

Last edited:
Years ago I worked for someone who was so out of it he final went to see a psychologist. He said on of the questions was "What are your hobbies?" He answered "Bible Study". The the psychologist said "Bible Study is not a hobby". He asked him is there anything else he does that might be considered a hobby? He realized the answer was no.

I have kept that in mind to justify the cost of hobbies over the years. And also since then there have been two times when I have talked to people who were mentally very stressed in there lives. Both time I asked them what were there hobbies, and both times they said they did not have one. I suggested they get one, as long is it does not harm anyone, and does not break the budget. If you are married, it is also important that you each support the others choice of enjoying a hobby, as long is it is not too expensive for the over all budget. Also there are some adult courses offered in the evenings (usually at local high-school buildings) by community colleges. Dancing, and massage come to mind as something that couples can both take together. There are also clubs like bowling. It could be as simple as bicycling, or walking, photography, or anything else that you truly enjoy, as long as it harms no one, and does not break the bank. Often joining a local club that supports that activity adds a lot to it.

My sister commented on how she was upset at the money her husband spent on Star-Trek. I told her about the story of the unstable person who did not have a hobby, and how lucky her husband was to have a hobby he likes. And that he works hard, and she should support him. Years later she commented that his collection is worth much more than he paid for it, and she even got into understanding some of the details about some of the different Star-Trek Christmas tree ornaments.

I am going to throw my UNLIKELY TO BE POPULAR ANSWER into the mix.

Here are my stats and background:

31, Single, Male.
2 College degrees -Previously "career employed" but said 'F-it and backpacked through India and Turkey 2009/2010. I have an new outlook on life. Currently working part time in a non profit company (not much $$).

#1 If you are NOT doing something you LOVE don't do it.
I realize people with children will IMMEDIATELY bash this statement but you don't have kids so I think it still may apply to you.

#2 I have found I am personally MORE HAPPY living with less and working at a LOWER PAYING job than when I was "respectable" working at a career job.

#3 LESS really is LESS, so don't pretend.
-My practice for living with less was backpacking in a country where 40% of the population lived on dirt floors with out electricity. Millions of people, that is.

I had NO TV, No Phone, 5 days worth of clothing. -No computer, but I could visit an internet cafe for cheap.
Obviously, upon return I DID get a cell phone but I have skipped TV, and sold MANY of my high taste items and possessions.

-And I don't miss ANY of it.

The material things I do love, motorcycles for example, I find ways to be frugal with. How? Typically, I will buy one that needs some minor repair or has damage. Then I will fix it and ride it for a short period of time. Then sell it on ebay/craigslist. Adding value to it, so that I can make a little money off of it -or at least not LOOSE money. Sometimes its hard not to fall in love with a bike or a car, but in the end, I like having these possessions on a temporary basis. It leaves room for the next one...

Its like the line in Fight Club :

"The things you own, end up owning you"

I guess my job stinks some, but at this stage of the game I'm not too upset. Don't like the hours I have to work, but since no kids are at home the wife and I work around the work hours. I could retire now if I needed to, but would rather work another couple of more years to have a bigger income from SS, pension and I hope the 401. I'm just glad that I don't owe anything and I don't feel the need to buy the latest and greatest. I don't have the toys that many of the others have, but I also don't have to work overtime or know that I'll never be able to afford to retire.

I'm working for a non-profit managing their retail/warehouse location. Contract is up Nov. 30 (grant funded) and I couldn't be happier... back to full time substitute teaching for me.

I run a one-man show. 9000sqft retail space/warehouse + 3000sqft receiving area and loading dock for donations. I'm expected to manage this mess along with helping customers, running the cash register, processing donations, hauling items out to the retail floor (a 250lbs 10ft wide frame with door and two side lights intact as one unit is not a one man job even with a hand truck). I also do all the pricing and inventory and all the physical labor. Customers routinely get [censored] off and leave because I'm busy dealing with a donation leaving no one in the store to help them.

In addition, on the 1 (sometimes 2) days a week we have an extra volunteer around, I have to go out on donation pickups. Oh yes, and I have to schedule and be the site supervisor for when we go in and strip some flood buy-out homes of cabinets, windows, doors etc that are still in good condition (along with doing some of the actual demolition work myself).

Now lets talk about OSHA violations. Right to Know info posted? Nope. Blood/body fluid clean up kit? Nope... Heck no one even has blood borne pathogen training except me and mine was prior to taking this job. My boss (the director) didn't even know: A) that we were required to have a clean up kit and B) what one was. General OSHA safety violations abound as well. MSDS sheets? My boss didn't even know what they were until I explained what they are and why they are required.

Fire code? LOL. Not even close.

All the while I'm told, "Well we always did just fine before with just one person" ignoring the fact that this was at the old location that was only 3000sqft total including the administrative office space.

I've only stuck it out this long (2 months) because it allowed me to put my student loans into forbearance, have the interest paid while in forbearance, and I get a nice sized educational award at the end which will pay off some of my student loans.

The hours are fine but the work itself is not a one-man job and had I known everything up front I would have probably told them to go pound sand. I didn't even start out looking for a job there. I was just looking to volunteer on an occasional basis.

I'm somewhere between "needsducktape" and Pablo on this issue. more towards needsducktape.

I wonder all the time too, is this what it is all about?

I am 30, married, 3 kids at 5, 3 and 2... And what can I say, I've had an easy life. No college debt, good paying job, live in the country, good opportunities found me, I live 5 minutes from work, people would kill for this, which is why I feel so guilty sometimes when I question what the heck I am doing.

As for what you are doing for a job, I'd say less than 1% of us truly love our work. My father, I get the feeling he does, as he spends his free time doing it (college professor). I am in a career I don't know how I ended up in and can't remember when I made my decision - my memory is pretty poor.

We didn't put much thought into having kids so it is harder but also better than I thought it would ever be. Some nights though I understand why people shake their babies... Having kids early does have its benefits - when you are relatively young they will be out of the house. If I have my way.

There's really no end to it, I don't think one will ever get to nirvana, you will always hark for something different. I try to live more in the present tense and see the forest for the trees, but I am not very good at it and forget that all the time. You just have to be true to yourself and what you want otherwise you will suffer, or the people who puts up with you.

I totally understand people doing a job they love for less money than being stuck in a career they couldn't care less about.

I have always enjoyed what I do, and enjoyed the challenges my career field offered, and my wife likes her career field. When I "retired" a few years ago I was asked to stay on and consult, which I'm still currently doing. I probably work 3-5 hours a day, when and as I want.

We lived very frugally in our early years, and hence have a substantial retirement nest egg available when/if the day comes we ever decided to truly retire. Going into debt was almost taboo, and I haven't had a car payment since the late 1960's. When built and moved into our current home we had our construction loan paid off in a couple years. All three of the homes that have been our primary residence and our lake house have been paid off in a very short amount of time (less than 5 years). Because of the lifestyle we choose we were able to live without the burden of payments always hanging over our head, and could do with our careers as we pleased rather than working to make payments. If I or my wife would have ever been in a job that we didn't like (or decided to try a new career field) we could have afforded to change, even for something that paid less.

In addition to a career that I enjoy I've made sure we have multiple income streams. When housing was hot I was invested in a house flipping contractor. When the housing bubble looked like it would soon burst we dissolved that venture and I moved onto the winery venture, which I'm still vested in.

One of the big problems facing most people is being locked into a job because of their financial lifestyle. I shake my head at people who proudly lock themselves into perpetual payments on credit cards, vehicles and housing. Financial freedom is still very possible, but many people are wrapped up into showing off with a new car every couple of years or keeping up with the Jones. It keeps them slaves to a career or job they may hate.

Since I have virtually always created my own income my situation is far from the norm. I love my "work" but don't work much!

But my wife worked for 16 years in the school system as a contract OT because she loved those kids! Not to mention the mega-easy teachers work schedule of only 190 days per year.

But a recent move into home health not only more than DOUBLED her pay, it has challenged her in ways she finds very personally rewarding. She's a lucky girl.

And I'm a lucky guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back