Job situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This group has never steered me wrong (for the most part
lol.gif
) I've seen a lot of sound advise being shared.

Currently, job: Been with the company for 3 years, moved up 3 times from entry-level to supervisor. I'm in charge of a team of 11 people. The last supervisor in charge of my current team pretty much quit because it was too hard. Like most upper management, they are focused on the bottom dollar and not how to improve the process to earn more $$. We roll out silly ideas that no one is interested in and go back to what we were doing 3 months prior. I understand at every job we deal with idiots (internally and externally). We can't do much externally, but management seems to ignore that issue completely. At this point in time, I feel I'm at a wall. I don't think there is much more room for growth past my point and I don't really care for it as well. I'm no longer excited about the job and I'm at the point where I don't care as much either. I'm still good at my job and try to teach my team as much as possible. But management needs to step in and help solve some of the external problems. This company would be awesome if we made rules and stuck to them. But instead, they like to go the route of "this is a one-time exception" but that exception happens daily so it should just be the rule. Side note for this company, a few people have asked to be demoted and the company granted them the request and they kept the same pay, that's how backwards this company is.. lol

A former co-worker reached out to me. His company is looking for someone to do what we do at job X. They promoted him about a year ago and were unable to find a replacement for him, everyone was a bust. From what I learned, it will just be a 2-3-person operation (him, me and maybe an intern). The company looks to be well managed and very logically. Upper management is on the same floor as everyone else and you can talk to me (so I'm told). There seems to growth for the right people. I'm not big into titles, I'm more into the money but I am going to give up a supervisor title and go back into something mid-range/entry level. The pay will be lower by 20% and I'm currently asking them to match my existing pay but I'm doubtful. That is my biggest worry. At the end of the day, if this company delivers on 55% of what they told me I think I would happy with this company. I do have a follow up with HR on the details so least I can try to compare apples to apples and not just pure salary numbers.

What do you guys think? Or should I wait it out some more until a find another job that pays equal or higher? Both companies are a big name in their respective industries.
I'm in my early 30s starting a family. College degree. Average median income. The commute is roughly the same 20 miles each way.

Working with someone you like, in a small team, can be hugely rewarding and remove a lot of stress from a job. Salaries are important, but your mental health is FAR more important. you're 30...give it a go.

If you dislike what you do, take a chance. Worst case it doesnt work out, you can look for another job. If you can afford to earn 20% less,than go for it but ensure there is opportunity for advancement there. Or...keep job searching til u find something that pays the same or better. Or...get a few years under your belt as supervisor..are u considered a team manager? Id look for new work after you have minimum 2-3 years management experience.

I can only empathize with what you're saying/experiencing as I don't have an answer for you.
Every company large & small is like this and there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel.

If you find a company that is more in line with your own beliefs then consider yourself lucky as this would be more the exception than the rule in today's world.

Best of luck to you,

CB

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bowlofturtle
lol.gif

Currently, job: Been with the company for 3 years, moved up 3 times from entry-level to supervisor. I'm in charge of a team of 11 people. The last supervisor in charge of my current team pretty much quit because it was too hard. Like most upper management, they are focused on the bottom dollar and not how to improve the process to earn more $$. We roll out silly ideas that no one is interested in and go back to what we were doing 3 months prior. I understand at every job we deal with idiots (internally and externally). We can't do much externally, but management seems to ignore that issue completely. At this point in time, I feel I'm at a wall. I don't think there is much more room for growth past my point and I don't really care for it as well. I'm no longer excited about the job and I'm at the point where I don't care as much either. I'm still good at my job and try to teach my team as much as possible. But management needs to step in and help solve some of the external problems. This company would be awesome if we made rules and stuck to them. But instead, they like to go the route of "this is a one-time exception" but that exception happens daily so it should just be the rule. Side note for this company, a few people have asked to be demoted and the company granted them the request and they kept the same pay, that's how backwards this company is.. lol

A former co-worker reached out to me. His company is looking for someone to do what we do at job X. They promoted him about a year ago and were unable to find a replacement for him, everyone was a bust. From what I learned, it will just be a 2-3-person operation (him, me and maybe an intern). The company looks to be well managed and very logically. Upper management is on the same floor as everyone else and you can talk to me (so I'm told). There seems to growth for the right people. I'm not big into titles, I'm more into the money but I am going to give up a supervisor title and go back into something mid-range/entry level. The pay will be lower by 20% and I'm currently asking them to match my existing pay but I'm doubtful. That is my biggest worry. At the end of the day, if this company delivers on 55% of what they told me I think I would happy with this company. I do have a follow up with HR on the details so least I can try to compare apples to apples and not just pure salary numbers.

What do you guys think? Or should I wait it out some more until a find another job that pays equal or higher? Both companies are a big name in their respective industries.
I'm in my early 30s starting a family. College degree. Average median income. The commute is roughly the same 20 miles each way.

IMO, a job is about money, and earning's potential vs. time off/flexible schedule vs. how much you hate doing it.

Weigh those 3 things and pick the best for you and roll with it. If you don't need that much money, pick the job with the more enjoyable atmosphere and more time off. If money is a need in your life at present, then move in that direction.

Life is too short to do something you don't love and to work for people who are idiots. Especially in this economy, you have the option of picking and choosing what you want to do.

As far as the potential job is concerned, hold out for more money. Let them know you are interested but need more money. If they are having such a hard time filling the position, they will come around. In the mean time make the best of your current job, it will be worthwhile to get more supervisory skill under your belt and more time on the job in a supervisory position will look good on your resume. While you are waiting, keep your eye out for other opportunities. One last thing, remember the old adage, the grass always looks greener...

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Life is too short to do something you don't love and to work for people who are idiots. Especially in this economy, you have the option of picking and choosing what you want to do.

Yep. Why be miserable at a job you don't like.

Tons of jobs out there in this booming economy.

I say if you don't like what you do for a living, it's a JOB. I worked 32 years on X-Ray and MRI,CT and Heart Cath. It was like opening a mystery book every day. It wasn't a JOB, it was fun. I was offered to advance to management but didn't want to give up on the daily enjoyment.

My fathers advice has always steered me in the right direction. There are Jobs and there are Careers. If you are sitting or standing at work and cannot see yourself retiring there... you have a Job. If you see yourself getting the gold watch and a sendoff party with a retirement check you have a Career.
The Job is what you do while you are looking for your Career.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
My fathers advice has always steered me in the right direction. There are Jobs and there are Careers. If you are sitting or standing at work and cannot see yourself retiring there... you have a Job. If you see yourself getting the gold watch and a sendoff party with a retirement check you have a Career.
The Job is what you do while you are looking for your Career.

One doesn't have to enjoy their situation for it to legit be a 'career'. Career simply denotes it as a path allowing for betterment of your position, while job is a "face value" proposition. They can both be enjoyable, and they can both simply be a means to an end.

Because we're human a lot of companies are like this in one way or another. Some are worse (ex. Tesla) than others. Sometimes you don't always know the "root cause" as to why the company is doing XYZ. If the company is constantly making exceptions for customers that tells you that there's a cash flow problem. One day you might find yourself in the decision making position so you too can have a supervisor below you which is complaining about your decisions.

Sometimes an industry is prone to having unique problems so jumping to a different employer within the same industry might not be so wise.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Because we're human a lot of companies are like this in one way or another. Some are worse (ex. Tesla) than others. Sometimes you don't always know the "root cause" as to why the company is doing XYZ. If the company is constantly making exceptions for customers that tells you that there's a cash flow problem. One day you might find yourself in the decision making position so you too can have a supervisor below you which is complaining about your decisions.

Sometimes an industry is prone to having unique problems so jumping to a different employer within the same industry might not be so wise.

Also keep in mind "the devil you know..."

Originally Posted by Ws6

IMO, a job is about money, and earning's potential vs. time off/flexible schedule vs. how much you hate doing it.

Weigh those 3 things and pick the best for you and roll with it. If you don't need that much money, pick the job with the more enjoyable atmosphere and more time off. If money is a need in your life at present, then move in that direction.

That's pretty much my take on it too.

I am not saying that the OP does, but It seems like some people have unrealistic expectations. Constantly searching for a job/career that is perfect in every way for you could take your whole working life. Sometimes you have to make the job you have enjoyable.

I've been with the same corporation, doing the same type of work for 23yrs. Some days are mundane, others are extremely challenging. I do learn something new nearly every shift.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by Ws6

That's pretty much my take on it too.

I am not saying that the OP does, but It seems like some people have unrealistic expectations. Constantly searching for a job/career that is perfect in every way for you could take your whole working life. Sometimes you have to make the job you have enjoyable.

I've been with the same corporation, doing the same type of work for 23yrs. Some days are mundane, others are extremely challenging. I do learn something new nearly every shift.

Exactly. First and foremost, almost everyone I know works because they have bills and things to pay for and do. I do not understand the mentality of "you have to enjoy it". It's great if you do. Massive bonus! But first and foremost, the purpose of work is product, and to the employee, that means being paid, and having time away from work to do things they truly enjoy.

Originally Posted by bowlofturtle
lol.gif

Be leery of places that harvest constant supervisor changes. You should become aware of reasons why first.

A job is about the money and how much value the employer can extract out of you. But it's preferable for you to maximize your earnings and doing it in an environment that's not harmful to your health and to your family.

Just remember, at work no one cares about you so make decisions that benefit you.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
A job is about the money and how much value the employer can extract out of you. But it's preferable for you to maximize your earnings and doing it in an environment that's not harmful to your health and to your family.

Just remember, at work no one cares about you so make decisions that benefit you.

Your sentence-end must have gotten cut-off before sending.
I'm sure you meant to say.
Just remember, at work no one cares about you so make decisions that benefit both you and the employer.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Alfred_B

Your sentence-end must have gotten cut-off before sending.
I'm sure you meant to say.
Just remember, at work no one cares about you so make decisions that benefit both you and the employer.

Haha! Very true. But NEVER put yourself out for an employer. Mutual interest only, not martyrdom. The customers you have, the employer, noone gives a [censored] about you, beyond what you can immediately do for them. Keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back