Job situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
A job is about the money and how much value the employer can extract out of you. But it's preferable for you to maximize your earnings and doing it in an environment that's not harmful to your health and to your family.

Just remember, at work no one cares about you so make decisions that benefit you.

Your sentence-end must have gotten cut-off before sending.
I'm sure you meant to say.
Just remember, at work no one cares about you so make decisions that benefit both you and the employer.

Not at all, if you make career decisions to benefit the employer, you will fall behind and be the underpaid and overworked patsy.

Of course, while at work you get paid to perform tasks so you should do what is expected of you.

Lots of cops are burnt out and don't like their jobs....
but a $2M+ pension and benefits make it a career.

Same goes for EMS and firefighters.

The quick advice is DON'T do it.

The folks on here are great but the most important thing you stated was in the last line "..in my early 30s starting a family". Assuming you are married, you need to discuss this with your wife. If you're thinking about having kids, taking a 20% pay cut may not be a good idea. Also you are losing sight of the big picture which is where do you want to go with your career; what are the plans for you and your future family.

Also you are a supervisor which means in a few years you will be qualified for better jobs at other companies possibly doing something else. You seem to enjoy supervising staff. Not knowing what your business is, I would make sure my team is as productive as possible and that upper management sees that you are a good manager that gets things done. You have to learn how to deal with poor management and poor decisions. Guess what? It's the norm, not the exception. There is no perfect company, unless you start your own business. A lot of these decisions are being made for reasons that you are not aware of. Welcome to middle management! I have that situation now where I am. I'm focusing on doing what I know is right and producing. It's paying off.

Good luck with your decision.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Lots of cops are burnt out and don't like their jobs....
but a $2M+ pension and benefits make it a career.

Same goes for EMS and firefighters.

The 5-year PTSD rate in my profession varies between 20 and 30% depending on the study. That's about 150% higher than IRQ veterans, and similar to Vietnam veterans. Some jobs are not wonderful things much of the time. A lot of the time they are just trying to do a good job and go home without being assaulted. Not that they don't have great moments, but noone does them because they are "fun".

I wish I had a pension and benefits, lol! You serious cops have a $2M pension!? That can't be average. *eyes law enforcement career differently now*
I can tell you EMS and FIRE don't have that.

I agree with dtownfb. Don't do it for a 20% pay cut. It's a job. Strive to do your best AND advance yourself in your current position. A manager/supervisor typically has a much better chance of obtaining a better paying job moving forward. If you feel the options for advancement are limited, then earn a certification you feel will help you move on/up on the company dime. Project Manager for example. I wouldn't advice jumping to another position just because a former co-worker reached out to you. If you really want to leave your current job, do a search for something that would be a promotion or offer opportunity for advancement. Not much room for advancement in a 3 person group that doesn't even want to pay you what you are making now.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Working with someone you like, in a small team, can be hugely rewarding and remove a lot of stress from a job. Salaries are important, but your mental health is FAR more important. you're 30...give it a go.

This.

Sounds like you're burnt out on your current position and looking for something new and more rewarding (mentally). This sounds like a good jump to make.

You're at a job to make money and provide for yourself and others (if applicable). The 20% loss is significant, and if they are truly interested they'll move up the offer. At some jobs, not caring and just doing the work asked is the best thing for you.

Originally Posted by wag123
As far as the potential job is concerned, hold out for more money. Let them know you are interested but need more money. If they are having such a hard time filling the position, they will come around. In the mean time make the best of your current job, it will be worthwhile to get more supervisory skill under your belt and more time on the job in a supervisory position will look good on your resume. While you are waiting, keep your eye out for other opportunities. One last thing, remember the old adage, the grass always looks greener...
When I said "hold out for more money" I meant hold out for more money than you are currently making. If they don't want to pay you then forget about it, but don't burn the bridge, they may come back later with a reasonable offer. In the mean time, don't dwell on it and don't bug them. At your age and stage in your working life, any move should be forward, not backward.

Can you live comfortably with a 20% cut and/or is the potential job worth the 20%? That's totally your call. If I was working some place toxic, I'd take the cut but I know I can live "fine" with a 20% cut. Like stated above, you're starting a family in your 30s so that a huge factor.

Eventually it might turn out to come-home-[censored]-off-and-take-it-out-on-your-family type deal even though you're making money too, something to think about.

If they want you they will match your current salary. I would move jobs if they match the salary.

I would not change jobs due to one crappy manager however. Things always change.

I work in computers on the mainframe. Have been since 1976. Current management where I am was not brought up on the mainframe, does not understand or appreciate it even though most important business applications are still on the mainframe. I think there is no one in the management chain up to the CEO who knows or appreciates the mainframe. So I am kind of free to do what I think is best. Not micro managed. But certainly do not feel appreciated. I work from home 4 days a week and decent pay. People ask when I will retire and I say when I decide how big a boat I want.

I think you recognize what kind of company you want to work for, meaning who your boss/upper management ought be like and how you operate with them.
To me, that is an end goal to go hand-in-hand with my end target position.
I would try to not let where I am at and who I am with, determine how I get to where I want to be.

1. The grass is always greener. You can only pick your type of problems, but you can't pick less volume of problems.
2. Recognize that growing in your Career is about what you do with your responsibilities, not who you are around.

Hearing about this situation, I would assume that this business sounds like it will have problems you aren't aware of yet, but will not bear the problems you despise at the company you work for right now.

If you intend to move up, then stay. Build supervisor experience and train to move up in a destination business.

If you intend to stay at the same level / position that you are now, then wait for this business to open up a position similar.
[You can also wait and look around for another business that operate similarly; there are a LOT of businesses out there that are just as palatable and have those things you desire.]

If you don't really like being at this level of management, then go join their business. Understand that you do this at the risk of not returning to the same pay grade, but in a lot of instances, that is okay.

Start trolling HARD at your current company. Take on the bad managers one-on-one. Tell them you're gunning for their jobs and would like to see them on the street. You can run things better and are going to shake things up. Find the guy who's head is furthest up his rectum and tell him that he specifically is the problem and you're going to change his attitude.

This will make you feel better. Having the safety of another job will make you feel better, but being effective is bar-none amazing.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by Ws6

IMO, a job is about money, and earning's potential vs. time off/flexible schedule vs. how much you hate doing it.

Weigh those 3 things and pick the best for you and roll with it. If you don't need that much money, pick the job with the more enjoyable atmosphere and more time off. If money is a need in your life at present, then move in that direction.

That's pretty much my take on it too.

I am not saying that the OP does, but It seems like some people have unrealistic expectations. Constantly searching for a job/career that is perfect in every way for you could take your whole working life. Sometimes you have to make the job you have enjoyable.

I've been with the same corporation, doing the same type of work for 23yrs. Some days are mundane, others are extremely challenging. I do learn something new nearly every shift.

Exactly. First and foremost, almost everyone I know works because they have bills and things to pay for and do. I do not understand the mentality of "you have to enjoy it". It's great if you do. Massive bonus! But first and foremost, the purpose of work is product, and to the employee, that means being paid, and having time away from work to do things they truly enjoy.

^^ This!
We work for the cheese, not because we enjoy it every day all the time.
For the most part I like my job, but at the tail end of my career, I can't really see how I could stand thirty years of it looking from the other end of the tunnel and knowing then what I know now.
I will admit that I put forth a whole lot more effort years ago, partly because I took joy in doing so and partly because I have learned enough over the years to make what I do easy.
The fact that my subordinates rarely show initiative and often veer in the wrong direction when they do is irritating and amusing at the same time.
The fundamental question would be whether one would go to work tomorrow if they could otherwise enjoy financial security and continue to live as one has grown accustomed.
I doubt that many would give that an affirmative response.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by Ws6

IMO, a job is about money, and earning's potential vs. time off/flexible schedule vs. how much you hate doing it.

Weigh those 3 things and pick the best for you and roll with it. If you don't need that much money, pick the job with the more enjoyable atmosphere and more time off. If money is a need in your life at present, then move in that direction.

That's pretty much my take on it too.

I am not saying that the OP does, but It seems like some people have unrealistic expectations. Constantly searching for a job/career that is perfect in every way for you could take your whole working life. Sometimes you have to make the job you have enjoyable.

I've been with the same corporation, doing the same type of work for 23yrs. Some days are mundane, others are extremely challenging. I do learn something new nearly every shift.

Exactly. First and foremost, almost everyone I know works because they have bills and things to pay for and do. I do not understand the mentality of "you have to enjoy it". It's great if you do. Massive bonus! But first and foremost, the purpose of work is product, and to the employee, that means being paid, and having time away from work to do things they truly enjoy.

^^ This!
We work for the cheese, not because we enjoy it every day all the time.
For the most part I like my job, but at the tail end of my career, I can't really see how I could stand thirty years of it looking from the other end of the tunnel and knowing then what I know now.
I will admit that I put forth a whole lot more effort years ago, partly because I took joy in doing so and partly because I have learned enough over the years to make what I do easy.
The fact that my subordinates rarely show initiative and often veer in the wrong direction when they do is irritating and amusing at the same time.
The fundamental question would be whether one would go to work tomorrow if they could otherwise enjoy financial security and continue to live as one has grown accustomed.
I doubt that many would give that an affirmative response.

I have no idea how I'm going to do my job for 30 years without self selecting, personally, but I just take it day by day and have an good support network. I've already lasted 2-3x as long as most before leaving the profession. Kinda numb to it at this point. I do it for the sometimes good I get to do, and for the time off. It's also why I have a zero-[censored] tolerance when I'm not being paid for it. [censored] with me outside of work and I wont waste any time with it.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I have no idea how I'm going to do my job for 30 years without self selecting, personally, but I just take it day by day and have an good support network. I've already lasted 2-3x as long as most before leaving the profession.

1) Do something that makes you happy.

2) Live within your means and not excessively.

That's the secret of life

Originally Posted by eljefino
Start trolling HARD at your current company. Take on the bad managers one-on-one. Tell them you're gunning for their jobs and would like to see them on the street. You can run things better and are going to shake things up. Find the guy who's head is furthest up his rectum and tell him that he specifically is the problem and you're going to change his attitude.

This will make you feel better. Having the safety of another job will make you feel better, but being effective is bar-none amazing.

Carefullll.... he could end up president of the company with that attitude!!

I love what I do at my job.

However, I'm older, have health issues and don't get time off.

My advice, don't find yourself in a position where you only get 20 days off per year, have a conflict with your direct boss and are subject to a large number of less than optimal decisions while vacation time get used up by showing up for emergencies at work.

It's management's job to get as much out of an employee as possible.

In my case, the money is good, the missing 20 years is not.

EDIT: If I could go back in time, I'd NEVER work so hard, nor would emergencies be my problem. Money is useless when your health is gone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Ws6

I have no idea how I'm going to do my job for 30 years without self selecting, personally, but I just take it day by day and have an good support network. I've already lasted 2-3x as long as most before leaving the profession.

1) Do something that makes you happy.

2) Live within your means and not excessively.

That's the secret of life

I do things that make me happy when I'm not at work, and cover about 90% of my monthly expenses with 1 paycheck (paid biweekly). Getting started in life is harder than maintenance. Once I get my land and a vehicle paid off, I'll likely find a way to cut hours even further.

Ws6,

That's great for you.... but most folks need every paycheck to keep their head above water.

If I was OP I'd take my time and find a better paying job. As mentioned earlier, with so few people he would working with at job with friend, what's the level of advancement in the future ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back