Jimmy Dean sausage

I did volunteer work at a food pantry and we always had a freezer full of JD sausage products of various types. We couldn't give the stuff away. Nobody wanted it. My family tried it and it was like eating pepper. Does anyone like this stuff? what keeps the company going?

I had some JD sausage earlier this year, tasted fine to me.maybe it got donated because the taste wasn't right?? no doubt was ok to eat, just the taste wasn't all that great

I did volunteer work at a food pantry and we always had a freezer full of JD sausage products of various types. We couldn't give the stuff away. Nobody wanted it. My family tried it and it was like eating pepper. Does anyone like this stuff? what keeps the company going?
By deceiving the viewers of their commercials with an immitation voice of Jimmy Dean who has been gone now for 12 years.

Makes pretty darn good Sawmill gravy for Biscuits & Gravy. I actually add a lot more pepper to it.

I don't care for it. We have a regional sausage, Neese's. That's my go to.

1657881866121.jpg

By deceiving the viewers of their commercials with an immitation voice of Jimmy Dean who has been gone now for 12 years.
The voice is real, it’s dubbed from different commercials made in the 80’s and 90’s. The sausage started it’s taste change back when Sara Lee bought it out. My father drove the actual JD show truck for the years it was displayed. here is a model of what it looked like.

Attachments

• DC8705A9-8AFC-4485-8FF8-76EF68D66941.jpeg
    DC8705A9-8AFC-4485-8FF8-76EF68D66941.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 22
For some people if you can taste anything other than pepper you don't have enough pepper. Salt actually cooks into food so salting before cooking makes a definite difference. Pepper does not cook into food. Pepper should be left out and made available at the table for those who want to mask and ruin the good taste of the actual food while leaving the food not ruined for those who prefer the actual food.

Yes, some things like sausage need a bit of pepper, the key being a bit. More can always be added but none can be removed once ruined.

I buy JD every now and then, I like the precooked patties/links, a few minutes in a fry pan with an over easy egg every morning.

Locally owned grocery store makes their own sausage that is really good, they also have precooked patties.

As I recall, when Jimmy Deans sausage first came out it was at the start of a new trend. Most people bought sausage and meat at meat markets. Most meat products were made locally. At that time there was a transition towards brands being sold nationally. We didn’t have the vast distribution chain back then like we have today. In that respect Jimmy Deans was a pioneer of sorts.

LOvE pepper and fennel seeds in hot sausages. Salt cracked Pepper and sage in breakfast sausage.

Sausage depend on the meat going in the grinder; If organ meat gets tossed in - its junk.

Wife used to use JD plain in teh platic cookie dough tube in recipies including Cajun Meatloaf.
Now she buys all her meat pork, beef, lamb and buffalo from local farms.

My 3 boys love making sausage for breakfast when they are home. Last Easter our local market was running low on breakfast sausage, but it is no big deal as they will eat whatever I buy. I bought some Tennessee Pride and they commented how much better it tasted vs JD.

For those of you who are health conscious let me paint a mental picture for you. When I was in college, I lived with 2 brothers who used to freeze the sausage, and then cut off slices with a serrated knife.....they literally had to saw through the loaf. They would then deep fry these frozen patties in hot grease in a deep fryer. They loved the taste. If you were in the kitchen when they were making these eats, your clothes smelled like a french fries afterwards. I would usually vacate the premises when I could during these cooking sessions.

• Haha
Reactions: GON
The Jimmy Dean brand name has been bought and sold numerous times. Around here R.B. Rice Medium in orange roll is a good alternative. JD just keeps getting fattier and saltier with vinegar now used as a cheaper alternative to good quality spices, like in the old days.

The Jimmy Dean brand name has been bought and sold numerous times. Around here R.B. Rice Medium in orange roll is a good alternative. JD just keeps getting fattier and saltier with vinegar now used as a cheaper alternative to good quality spices, like in the old days.
R.B Rice used to be made in a sole factory in Lee’s Summit, MO. Now that was the king of sausage back in the day. I don’t know who owns it now, but it is nowhere to be found here in Arkansastan.

R.B Rice used to be made in a sole factory in Lee’s Summit, MO. Now that was the king of sausage back in the day. I don’t know who owns it now, but it is nowhere to be found here in Arkansastan.
Walmart here in Kansas City carries it. Tried a wiki search - Nothing as to who has bought the name.

Last edited:
My mother thinks there is no other sausage like JD but the one time I bought it because it was all that WM had left, our family didn't care for the taste at all. Seemed like it tasted "old" and it also left a large amount of grease in the pan after cooking. We've always bought the other big brand in our area - Tennessee Pride. It's generic tasting but never bad, very little grease leftover after cooking. Wish we had one of the good boutique butcher shops around here.

Back