Jiffy Lube techs are all full time to my surprise.

When I worked for them I was part time. Anything over 29 hours I got overtime for. That was in 2019 and I think it varies by franchise. My advice don’t work there period. I won’t share too much in public about why but just don’t work there. All I will say is after we got a batch of oil in off the truck that was pitch black and had metal shavings in it and they wanted me to put it in peoples vehicles I walked out the door and never looked back.
OP might as well start his own garage, probably would get more cash than workin at a jiffylube.

So they would purposely send customers on their way without oil? I've heard where customers left quick lube places without oil but never thought something like that would be done purposely.
Oh yeah. They would do anything to try and get more money. They said it was a good way to upsell an engine. Which who in the world would let a place like that install an engine beats me but whatever.

So they would purposely send customers on their way without oil? I've heard where customers left quick lube places without oil but never thought something like that would be done purposely.
I also worked in the dealership end of service and I can tell you from personal experience that sabotage happens and happens OFTEN!

Say you refuse certain repairs, well that tech might decide to break other things so that you will have no choice but to pay them to repair it.

You come in for a simply oil and filter at 19.95..well it wouldn't be unthinkable for that tech to break or damage other things so you have no choice but to pay them far more.....FAR more.

I worked for a corporate owned JL in the 90s. There were full timers as well as part timers. At one time I worked as little as 16 hours a week up to around 40 in the summer.

I will say we never reused an oil filter. I remember one time a vehicle came in for its first oil change, I believe it was a Kia Sportage, though not certain, none of us could get the oil filter off and we didn't have a proper size oil filter cap wrench.

It was not in a very accessible location, we refilled the vehicle with oil and suggested they go to the dealer. There was no charge.

Not saying mistakes were not made, however I can honestly say at our location they were never dishonest mistakes or any deceitful tactics used when I was there.

I honestly enjoyed working there overall at the time.

I'm sorry, but I kinda lost the believability of the other guy posting the negatives of jiffy lube at that point, they wouldn't be installing a new engine anyways so there is nothing for them to gain with letting a car leave with no oil. Dummy lights would be lit up right after starting the engine anyways so it's not like most people would just drive off.

Edit: I just wanted to add, I personally know two JL regional managers and I'm a tech, so their screwups get towed to me...I can tell you if they mess something up they aren't making money on it. Stuff does happen but they aren't going to purposely destroy an engine, that costs them money (well, costs their insurance money).

Last edited:
Most if not all jiffy lubes are franchises with everything from single or a few store to thousands. Would check with this manager and see if all the local stores are full time only or if his franchisee doesn’t do brakes but has part time positions at other stores.

i would view your convo as you talked to one mgr at one store and could be different at any other store. Don’t want you to be discouraged bc of this one convo
As you inferred correctly and suggested, I called a couple of other area Jiffy Lubes, and there are a couple under different franchise team , and they do hire part timers. Thanks for the input on this.

As an aside, Jiffy Lube has really spent some money in this area the last couple years (enlarged two stores to super stores, and built three new super stores).

Did you even get around to asking about the pay? I had a tenant that worked there once, pay was just minimum wage. Probably why they work 60 hour weeks. Probably any other job would pay better, the big national ones have higher starting wages now, Amazon, Costco, Kroger, Target all pay at least $15, and Bank of America starts at $20 and they're supposed to go up to $25/hour.
I did inquire about the pay for a starting lube tech, and she stated $9.00 starting pay.

I did inquire about the pay for a starting lube tech, and she stated $9.00 starting pay.
It's been about 7 years, but when I worked at a Walmart tire and lube I made a smidge over $15 an hour (that was after I was there a year and a half though) some of the other guys were retirees that just wanted to do basic tinkering, so maybe look into that? Wally world loves having people at part time anyways

It's been about 7 years, but when I worked at a Walmart tire and lube I made a smidge over $15 an hour (that was after I was there a year and a half though) some of the other guys were retirees that just wanted to do basic tinkering, so maybe look into that? Wally world loves having people at part time anyways
$15/hr sounds a lot better than $9/hr (Jiffy Lube start pay amount that was mentioned to me)

$9 is what I got paid as well. I was 16 and 17 so not bad for a 17 year old I guess. All the other guys besides managers made $10 per hour. The $9 was because I couldn’t work the pit due to my age and Virginia laws.

And despite the other poster not believing me what I am saying is 100% true. They purposely would do that there isn’t a thing that place wouldn’t do. We were Jiffy Lube Multicare so we done repairs and some of those customers did end up letting us do the engine replacements. They aren’t towed somewhere else that maybe practice in the non multi care centers but in the multi care they have mechanics working there who preform any and all repairs besides oil changes and basic stuff. And older cars which is what we primarily seen didn’t have any warning lights warning of low oil or anything so someone wouldn’t have known. Like I said it varies based on franchise all mine cared about was money. It was also easy to get fired they fired the manager for yelling at another worker after about 20 calls to corporate by angry customers upset about the manager yelling.

$9 is what I got paid as well. I was 16 and 17 so not bad for a 17 year old I guess. All the other guys besides managers made $10 per hour. The $9 was because I couldn’t work the pit due to my age and Virginia laws.

And despite the other poster not believing me what I am saying is 100% true. They purposely would do that there isn’t a thing that place wouldn’t do. We were Jiffy Lube Multicare so we done repairs and some of those customers did end up letting us do the engine replacements. They aren’t towed somewhere else that maybe practice in the non multi care centers but in the multi care they have mechanics working there who preform any and all repairs besides oil changes and basic stuff. And older cars which is what we primarily seen didn’t have any warning lights warning of low oil or anything so someone wouldn’t have known. Like I said it varies based on franchise all mine cared about was money. It was also easy to get fired they fired the manager for yelling at another worker after about 20 calls to corporate by angry customers upset about the manager yelling.
What a poop show, but I am not the least bit surprised knowing what I saw in the dealership service departments I worked in the entire automotive repair and service industry is fatally flawed in how it operates.

The Jiffy Lube I went to in San Antonio has a big sign in the lobby proudly displayed, that they are "not responsible for stripped drain plugs".

Quite an odd thing to do, and not inspiring about their service.

I have not been back since.
That sign certainly does not inspire customer confidence.

60 hours a week at $9 an hour? I'd rather die...

I hope they get a worker shortage like the fast food places too. Make them squirm.
Ironically, there is a fast food place (golden arch variety) literally right across the street that has a help wanted (starting pay $9.50/hr.). I just don't care to work a part time fast food job when I retire.

Ironically, there is a fast food place (golden arch variety) literally right across the street that has a help wanted (starting pay $9.50/hr.). I just don't care to work a part time fast food job when I retire.
You're different than me, I don't want to work at all when I retire...

Back