Jiffy Lube techs are all full time to my surprise.

Looking at retiring from my full time job soon. I've always been a DIYer when it comes to vehicle servicing/light repairs, and would like a part time upon retiring doing this (20-25 hrs/week). Nearby Jiffy Lube has help wanted sign, so I inquired within today. This store does not do brake service, tire sales, etc. like some of the "super" Jiffy Lubes. It is just the basic drive in lube/air filters/wiper blades type one.
Manager said all employees are full time, and they average 60 hrs./week. This surprised me, as I expected part time lube techs to be the norm there. Anyone else on here run into that when looking for part time work at a similar automotive quick lube type business?

I can definitely see a job like that as being full time. Part time jobs imo are on the lines of grocery store sackers or retail cashiers.

I’m glad they can do that, hoping that means those guys get health benefits and stuff. But 60 hours a week is a lot of hours, man.

I’m glad they can do that, hoping that means those guys get health benefits and stuff. But 60 hours a week is a lot of hours, man.
True. Especially for a job like this that you are going to be on your feet on a concrete floor for most of the shift. I'm in pretty good shape as far as I know physically for my age (over 60), but 8 or 9 hrs. a day on my feet on a concrete floor is way too much.

Most if not all jiffy lubes are franchises with everything from single or a few store to thousands. Would check with this manager and see if all the local stores are full time only or if his franchisee doesn’t do brakes but has part time positions at other stores.

i would view your convo as you talked to one mgr at one store and could be different at any other store. Don’t want you to be discouraged bc of this one convo

When I worked for them I was part time. Anything over 29 hours I got overtime for. That was in 2019 and I think it varies by franchise. My advice don’t work there period. I won’t share too much in public about why but just don’t work there. All I will say is after we got a batch of oil in off the truck that was pitch black and had metal shavings in it and they wanted me to put it in peoples vehicles I walked out the door and never looked back.

When I worked for them I was part time. Anything over 29 hours I got overtime for. That was in 2019 and I think it varies by franchise. My advice don’t work there period. I won’t share too much in public about why but just don’t work there. All I will say is after we got a batch of oil in off the truck that was pitch black and had metal shavings in it and they wanted me to put it in peoples vehicles I walked out the door and never looked back.
Valvoline is a much better place, my 2005 Century hated the Jiffy crap, loved Valvoline, Jiffy advertised Pennsoil, but used some bulk shell crap

Valvoline is a much better place, my 2005 Century hated the Jiffy crap, loved Valvoline, Jiffy advertised Pennsoil, but used some bulk shell crap
Yes it’s not Pennzoil at all. Honestly the oil delivery guy fills up all the tanks from one tank in his delivery truck. They always asked me why I would not change my oil there I said because I’m not stupid lol. Valvoline used an impact to install my friends drain plug and it warped and dented the pan. He went back to tell them about it and they said it was like that when it came in which was false because he was the last one to do it. So he had to replace the pan he wasn’t too happy. At least they probably have real oil there.

60 hours a week in that job, well it certainly seems that JL wants to drive potential employees away while driving existing ones into the ground.
That is a ridiculous business model for hourly employees. When people work those kind of hours they are NOT performing at their best and their morale isn't usually good either.

60 hours a week in that job, well it certainly seems that JL wants to drive potential employees away while driving existing ones into the ground.
That is a ridiculous business model for hourly employees. When people work those kind of hours they are NOT performing at their best and their morale isn't usually good either.
When i used to do the same work for Wal-Mart, they almost never let you get 1 minute of overtime. I would have gladly taken it. I would get a 2nd job to stack the Benjamin's faster. Those Jiffy Lubers have expenses like stancing out their 350z and upgrading their vape devices. You can't do that on 40 hours.

Did you even get around to asking about the pay? I had a tenant that worked there once, pay was just minimum wage. Probably why they work 60 hour weeks. Probably any other job would pay better, the big national ones have higher starting wages now, Amazon, Costco, Kroger, Target all pay at least $15, and Bank of America starts at $20 and they're supposed to go up to $25/hour.

Don't be afraid to share, we are all here to learn the good and the bad.

Last edited:
I used a Jiffy for an unplanned change in 2020. It was a very nice facility, used Pennzoil from 6 gallon bag boxes, showed me that my air filter was fine, and cleaned the car …

I worked at a Jiffy lube way back when I was a teen....I lasted 2 weeks. The manager told me that if I see a Jiffy Lube filter already on the car, use windex and a rag and wipe it clean to look new...not to change it. I looked him squarely in the eye, told him my integrity is above his and quit on the spot. This was in the 80's so I can see nothing has changed within the quick lube business with JL being the worst.

Maybe it's 60 hours a week right now, because of that thing we aren't allowed to mention here?

Maybe it's 60 hours a week right now, because of that thing we aren't allowed to mention here?
USUALLY, but not always fast change shops aren't bursting at the seems with customers even during normal times, I doubt that they really need employees to work 60 hrs a week, add that to the terrible pay, and I wouldn't trust my skateboard with them.

Don't be afraid to share, we are all here to learn the good and the bad.
They liked to send cars out with no oil and then when the customer comes back they say well it’s nothing we done but we can certainly install a new engine for you and give you an estimate on that. Also all the oil was the same came from same truck and same tank and was usually pitch black in color. The oil truck was very sketchy it didn’t have any name on it or anything. If we didn’t have the filter in stock then you left the old one on and still charged the customer full price. This is what the franchise said to do. It was a horrible place to work and most certainly a terrible place to have your car worked on. The one I was at did all repairs not just oil changes. One time they broke off someone’s drain plug so they took the plug out with an extractor then stuffed a shop towel up in there and put oil in it and sent it down the road. I was furious at that point and then after that is when we got the oil with the metal shavings so I walked out the door. Plenty of other things happened too in fact way too much to list in one list.

Back