Jiffy lube abandons 3000 mile oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the comments from that article, it looks like people are pretty knowledgeable about oil change intervals and how the 3,000 mile OCI is essentially a scam and a racket.

FINALLY.

Problem is that the concept is burned into everyone's minds. Might never be able to get rid of it...

WE get customers coming into parts all the time questioning Ford's new 10k OCIs saying they were used to the 3k OCI. After trying to explain Ford has engineers that figure this all out and its perfectly fine, I just give up and say to do the 3k thing if it makes them sleep better at night.

funny how avg motoring joes would doubt the engineers who developed the products (car manufacturers) about OCIs and yet wholeheartedly trust the spins from public places like iffy lube.

Guess the jingle works really well, eh?

Q.

Trusting which one appears to be the greater risk?

If I get too many oil changes, I'm out an extra $30 give or take for each extra oil change.

If I side with the automaker and my engine doesn't last, I'm out $30K for a new car.

Those who are not experts either way may just side with the oil change place given the perceived risk is lower following their suggestions.

Now many will argue if the quick lube is as safe as the customers think they are, but that's another argument. This is really a question about the proper OCI and we are assuming the oil changes are done correctly.

Its not so much the quality of the oil that I worry about at the quick (Jiffy) lube places. I'm more worried the oil change guy making mistakes. Also very worried about their own brand of oil filter.

I once went to Jiffy Lube to ask what they use for an oil filter. They showed me their own brand. I said I wanted a name brand, like motorcraft, AC, etc. They told me, "well our filter is MADE BY FRAM" like that was a good thing. I then asked, if it is made by Fram, why does it not say Fram? Needless to say, I did not get my oil changed there that day.

Another thing that bothers me, another time, I took my "third" beater car to a quick lube place. Not knowing any better, when they asked me for my name/address, I gave it to them. After that, they were always sending me notice that my car was due for an oil change. If I ever go back to a quick lube (doubtfull), it would only be with a car that is not in warranty, plus I would make sure that they used a manufactures filter (Motorcraft for Fords, A/C for GM, Mopar for Chrysler) and I would not give my name/address, telling them this is a cash purchase.

Another thing. They are always trying to sell you things you don't need. Show you the air filter, spread the pleats, saying that the filter needs to be replaced, even though the filter is really clean and just doing its job.

Considering Ford wants my MIL's new Escape(V6) to be changed based on the OLM and their dealerships recommendation which is 7500 miles/6 month. Can't say I'm surprised Jiffy Lube finally caved in to normality that is not a 3000 mile OCI.

Yup, I was a bit taken back but I guess with MC 5w20 Semi-syn 7500 isn't out of the question.

The manual says to go by the OLM or 1 year/10k mile OCI. So that new car gets it's first change in July right around 7,500! OLM says 28% left as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
WE get customers coming into parts all the time questioning Ford's new 10k OCIs saying they were used to the 3k OCI.

I don't know if I'm all that excited about widespread 10k OCIs on dino. I can see the 5-7.5k range.

Possible with a large enough sump. If 5k is possible on a 5-6qt sump, I'd bet that 10k is possible on a 10-12 qt sump.

I don't belive we should trust manufactures to tell us when to change our oil. Too many politics come into play like the companies green reputation and their wanting to keep maintanance costs down for especially fleet customers. Trusting a quick change place is even worse.

I think the government plays a part in forcing the auto makers to extend there intervals out farther. Keep in mind when they make the intervals they are based on normal driving conditions. IE high speed freeway driving long distances with minimal startups. So that eliminates a good amount of people right there. I would take the intervals in the manual and deduct from there. Say if you do mostly city driving then cut that number in half. Changing your oil more frequently isn't as wasteful as it sounds. The oil in your vehicle has probably aready been recycled numerous times already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
WE get customers coming into parts all the time questioning Ford's new 10k OCIs saying they were used to the 3k OCI.

I don't know if I'm all that excited about widespread 10k OCIs on dino. I can see the 5-7.5k range.

The new 5.0's have a 8qt sump on the Mustangs and a 7.7qt sump on the F150's.

FWIW my Volvo specs 5w30 dino with 7.5k OCI's and thats a turbo 2.5L 5 cyl making 300hp with 14.7psi of boost stock.

If you are not losing oil between the changes, then you can safely increase the interval from 3K to 7.5K. If on the other hand you are losing oil, either change it sooner or keep on adding.

Has there been any documented case of oil related engine failure from switching to 3K to 7.5K in the absence of massive oil leak or oil burning? I bet not. From all indications, if your engine does not last over 200K with regular 3-7.5K on dino, you are doing something wrong.

- Vikas

About time.

FWIW, our little 1.5l Honda with its 4 quart sump will let the engine go 10-11k miles on an oil change. UOA's for those engines came back fine on a variety of synthetic oils. I'm confident the engine will outlast the rest of the car.

Quote:
Many of you may not remember that a long time ago, back in the late 70s, manufacturers (i.e., Ford) were recommending 7.5K OCIs, upped from the 6K recommended in the late 60s and early 70s. This was on carburated engines, and oil certainly wasn't any better back then.

Yeah, and they backed off on this pretty quickly if you can recall. Worked great in a lab, but out in the real-world every manufacturer had issues and warranty claims. There have been some great write ups on this. With modern engines and modern oil, however, this has been a long time coming. But if you read the article carefully, you will see that the average OCI for "severe" driving has only increased by 502 miles. Hrm...

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
If you've got a GM 3.6 DI or the 5.3 AFM, you'd better pray you're not going by the OLM.

GM just recalibrated the OLM for the 3.6DI (atleast for my CTS). I got the notice in the mail, but have no plans yet to waste an hour of my day while they reprogram my car. I will do it myself at work. The new calibration has been installed in my father's CTS and he tells me it has been recommending 7-8k mile changes when before it was stretching out to 10-11k miles. This was all a result of timing chain stretch issues, not fuel dilution an such that people talk about here. I've never gotten a UOA on my car that showed any fuel dilution issues. I've not heard a single thing wrong with AFM 5.3's...and we build 1000 of them a day...

I personally like to change my oil around 5-6k miles. Not that the oil can't take it I know oils are much better- but I worry about all the dirt floating around in suspension. Plus the oil filter may not last the whole 10k mile thing.

Cheap to change oil. Expensive to replace engine. Plus I inspect everything under the car/hood and do small maintenace things....stuff that you may miss waiting 10k miles to check.

Last edited:
My dad had a friend who had his oil changed every 7500 miles in a Toyota Avalon. The engine was destroyed by sludge. Luckily the engine still had warranty on it.

His service writer said to him, don't go more than 4,000 miles on conventional oil, only synthetic can handle 7500 mile oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back