Jeep oil and SuperTech

02 Jeep 4.0, 165K miles. 50-50 hwy/s&g driving, hot in SoCal. Don't want to spend on expensive oils at this point, change every 5-7K miles. Prev. owner used Econolube places, randomly I think. So going with ST, HM 10W-30, -40, conventional or syn HM 5W-30? Advice?

Use an oil that carries the specification or license listed in your owner’s manual, the winter rating is irrelevant in your location. If ST oil works within that then you’re good to go.

I wouldn’t do it just because I couldn’t sleep at night but that’s up to you. I’d use Valvoline or Castrol or Pennzoil conventional if it was me. In my opinion it’s important to use better oils as the vehicle ages.

My Loyale, my Sonoma, my Colorado, and my S70 all had a steady diet of ST synthetic for hundreds of thousands of miles. All four left my possession with bodies that were rusting away from excellent running engines.

*EDIT* The Subaru got mostly conventional ST :)

Last edited:
Why are you running a high mileage oil? You said your 4.0 has 165k miles, but that by itself is not a good reason. HM oils are designed to address symptoms of wear associated with high mileage engines (e.g. oil consumption, leaking gaskets seals, certain noises, etc). There are lots of engines with over 200k miles that have no problems of any kind. And we see a lot of people whose engines have no symptoms that are running HM oils for no obvious reason. Just curious what is your reason.

ST is fine. A valve cover pic was recently uploaded where a guy used ST for 150k miles, or so, and it looked like it just rolled off the assembly line. Use ST if your Jeep doesn't burn it. I use PP, but that's because of GDI and it has a slightly better NOACK than ST. I've used ST non-GDI with no problems at all.

There ya go...ST 20W-50 goes in. That was in 2010

5440E11D-A6E1-4F89-8E0B-8E12439F7F2C.jpeg

Does your 4.0 leak or burn oil? ST synthetic is a dollar more so why use the conventional? I would probably use the ST synthetic 5w-30 but I think the 4.0's call for 10w-30.

I wouldn’t do it just because I couldn’t sleep at night but that’s up to you. I’d use Valvoline or Castrol or Pennzoil conventional if it was me. In my opinion it’s important to use better oils as the vehicle ages.

that’s doubtful to state the least. Dad has a older Dakota with 300k on it. Mostly ST and harvest king 10w30 whole life without issues

I don't know how many times I've went to wally with my mind made up to try ST but I've never walked out with it, not sure what it is but I just can't bring myself to try it. I know it's good oil from all the UOA's and testimonials but.........

I don't know how many times I've went to wally with my mind made up to try ST but I've never walked out with it, not sure what it is but I just can't bring myself to try it. I know it's good oil from all the UOA's and testimonials but.........
Same here. My dad put a quart of it in his truck so far it’s ok LOL.

Back