Jeep Control Arms - Which Brand?

Two of our Jeeps ('98 XJ Cherokee and '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee) are in need of replacement control arms, but I'm having a hard time finding anything decent to replace them with. The Jeep forums all seem to suggest either Crown (which I've had bad experiences with) or modified, non-stock style ones (which I don't want to do).

All I want is a replacement of the same style and quality as the originals, which would have used Clevite bushings.

I have been looking at the Moog CK range, which use Clevite bushings like the originals. However, it looks like these have now been discontinued as they're out of stock everywhere. The RK range is readily available, but these use much worse quality rubber.
Mopar are also an option, although I can't seem to find everything I need from them.

I really don't want to use Crown parts, as in my experience they use the cheapest bushings available and they don't last.

Do any other brands use Clevite bushings? I know for example that the ACDelco Professional bushings seem to say Clevite on them when bought separately, but I can't tell if that is also the case when bought already fitted in the arms.
RockAuto also has brands like Mevotech Supreme, but I can't tell what these will be like.

Any ideas?

These, and get the upgraded bushings:

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/xjtjzj-heavy-duty-adjustable-lower-control-arms.html

The problem is just like you mention, that all of the stock style ones are made super cheap with garbage bushings that wear out in less than a year. Why not buy the above adjustable ones if they are better made and you won't have to ever replace them again? Just adjust the length to the same as the ones that come out of your jeep (line up the bushing holes on the old vs. the new) and put them in. Super easy, very strong, and never have to worry about them again.

Thanks both for the answers.

dlundblad, yeah it is possible to replace just the bushings but I've been told by several people that there's no guarantee that the control arm won't get destroyed in the process. I get all this kind of work done by an ex-Jeep dealer tech and he said to just buy the whole arms.

jeepman, I agree that those definitely look good, but I really like to keep things stock where possible. The ones on there now have been on for 180/170,000 miles respectively and have only recently gotten bad, so if I can find an equivalent I'd really like to replace like-for-like!
I have no need for adjustable arms so I'll be happy if I can find some stock style, but with the same quality bushings as the ones you posted.
Also, I'm in the UK so I'm much more limited as to where I can order from without getting massive shipping charges. I'm pretty much limited to RockAuto or the cheap rubbish that's for sale on eBay UK!

I'm starting to think it might simply be worth the splurge to get Mopar, depending on whether or not I can find everything I need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brynjaminjones
Thanks both for the answers.

dlundblad, yeah it is possible to replace just the bushings but I've been told by several people that there's no guarantee that the control arm won't get destroyed in the process. I get all this kind of work done by an ex-Jeep dealer tech and he said to just buy the whole arms.

jeepman, I agree that those definitely look good, but I really like to keep things stock where possible. The ones on there now have been on for 180/170,000 miles respectively and have only recently gotten bad, so if I can find an equivalent I'd really like to replace like-for-like!
I have no need for adjustable arms so I'll be happy if I can find some stock style, but with the same quality bushings as the ones you posted.
Also, I'm in the UK so I'm much more limited as to where I can order from without getting massive shipping charges. I'm pretty much limited to RockAuto or the cheap rubbish that's for sale on eBay UK!

I'm starting to think it might simply be worth the splurge to get Mopar, depending on whether or not I can find everything I need.

Well that is the issue. I should've been more clear that the only stock style ones I could find were Mopar, and I wasn't about to pay the price they quoted me for stamped steel control arms when the ones I bought have greasable bushings and are much stronger. It's a shame the aftermarket has gotten filled with cheap garbage.

The part you need for the lower arms on your ZJ is: MOPAR 52088312

I haven't seen Moog CK for any car in a couple years at least
mad.gif

Rock Auto has the Mopar control arms for both your XJ and ZJ
smile.gif

The bushings are terrible to replace. Been there and done that with my brother on his XJ. Don't do it.

I put on Moog Problem Solver control arms on mine a couple years ago, no problems so far.

Control arms don't go bad too often on Zj or Xj. What's wrong? Bushings shot, or are you trying to solve a problem?

When I lifted my Xj I used aftermarket adjustable lower arms that had spherical or heim joints. They didn't make the ride any worse (drove with stock arms first, but needed more caster so I had to get longer arms).

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I haven't seen Moog CK for any car in a couple years at least
mad.gif

I've installed a set on an Explorer just recently.

My vote is Mopar unless said Jeep will get lifted - then its a task finding adjustable control arms to help maintain camber/caster with altered geometry.

Thank you all for the help with this, sorry it's taken me a couple of days to respond.

There are a few reasons that I'm replacing the control arms in the first place.
My XJ has had new ball joints U-joints, track bar, tie rods and tie rod ends. The brakes are new. The alignment is good. Despite this, it still pulls harder than it used to in the direction of the crown of the road, and randomly darts in different directions when braking. I've also had a few occasions where one wheel starts to shake like the onset of "death wobble". It also clunks from the front end when maneuvering and the wheels turn so far that it gets stuck on full-turn.

The ZJ has had a new steering box, track bar, tie rods, tie rod ends, tires, steering damper, brakes and a good alignment. It drives much better than it used to but still feels a bit vague and wanders around. It also sometimes clunks from the front end when maneuvering

I bought another ZJ with 150,000 miles a while back for my Dad. It had new control arms but everything else original, and it drove absolutely beautifully. Compared to my Jeeps it went perfectly straight and felt really tight.

Based on all of this, plus the mileage my Jeeps are on, I feel that I really should replace the control arms.

From everything you have all said, it looks like Mopar is the way to go if I can't get the proper Moog ones!

Back