JDM CVT Transmissions

I find it sort of funny the high prices all the JDM Transmission and Engine places charge for their used CVT transmissions. They claim most of their products have around 50,000 miles on them. I have in the past purchased engines from them and had to return 2 of them before I got one that looked good enough. No I did not install them before discovering the problems. Now with transmissions, especially a CVT that is from a brand that is well known for problems, at 50K miles, that transmission should be considered a core I feel. Because anyone that knows a thing about the early 2000's Nissan CVT's would be very stupid to go through the ($2000 to $2400 at independent shops to R&R) work to remove, and install one of those JDM $850 to $1150 CVT Transmissions, with out fixing known problems that involves a complete tear down, and oh yes some auto wrecking yards same prices with higher miles. And of course all these goofs selling these things brag about how they guarantee them to work. But of course none of them will pay to remove and install. So if your not a DIY person and have to pay for all this R&R and if the first or the second transmission doesn't work add up your losses. Advertised R&R is 16 hours, not an easy job especially with out all the right tools - lifts.
Is there anyone here that has got a CVT from one of those places, especially a Nissan? Lets hear some story's.

Keep us posted @KGMtech, my CVT is still going strong and appears original. Fluid change was done 10k kms ago with Idemitsu Type N. My parents have a 2015 Rogue and had a 2008 prior and no issues with either.

Advertised R&R is 16 hours, not an easy job especially with out all the right tools - lifts.
Not sure for which car that is but I just did a Versa last month. A few hours a day over a few days, maybe 8 hours actual wrench time. Could probably R&R in 6 hours the next time and that's doing it in my driveway without a lift. $1350 at the dealer for a reman CVT plus $40 for fluid. Junkyards sell them for $1200-$1500 because people are stupid enough to pay that much.

IMG_7132.JPG

Transmission 95.JPG

This thread is about over priced used junk, that should be fixed before installing it, no matter who does the work.
$850 and up is not what a core should cost, their warranty means nothing if they will not compensate you for the money or time spent to R&R their junk if it breaks. This is the topic.

This thread is about over priced used junk, that should be fixed before installing it, no matter who does the work.
$850 and up is not what a core should cost, their warranty means nothing if they will not compensate you for the money or time spent to R&R their junk if it breaks. This is the topic.
Like you say, the whole concept only makes sense for the DIYer who can assume all the risks to potentially save a buck.

If you're going to pay a shop ~$120/hr for 16hrs labor, it only makes sense to order a replacement CVT directly through Nissan. Last I checked a new (which I'm sure is reman'd) CVT for my 2019 Pathfinder was under $2500, after core accepted of course.

Two things that give the CVT a bad rap is the design so it's impossible to service easily and the fear mongering over having to use the OEM fluid. Honda has made it easier to their credit and some companies refuse to service the units for paying customers because they have no real technicians and people are convinced that a warranty is everything when it's not and it won't mean squat at 3am. If I let my car go belly up everytime I got to that warranty mileage number I would have a new car every other year. I wasn't a fan of CVT at first, but it's fine now especially on highway.

Back