JD D140 carb issues again

Briggs and Stratton model number 44N677-0001-G1

Carb number 593197

After engine started running poorly, I pulled the plugs to check them and they were both saturated with gas. Pulled the carb off and took the bowl off it and found the plastic tube/tower the single jet sets in had a broken o-ring. This is the o-Ring that seats the tower in place in the bowl for the solenoid plunger. Also found the o-ring for the top side of the float was pinched badly. Not the float gasket, but the o-ring for the top side.

Ordered the float gasket kit and replaced them accordingly and had to go to autozone for the other o-ring which “seems” to be a good fit. I can’t find this o-ring anywhere on a diagram yet alone a part number to order the actual correct o-ring.

Mower will now idle fine but as soon as you hit about mid throttle it drops to a slow sputter that will not change once it starts. I’m ready to take buckshot to this piece of s***.

Looks like a Nikki carb to me.That is a good thing.The part no for the bowl gasket is 698781.The sealing washer for the bowl nut and anti backfire solenoid is 695410.Hope this helps.

593197 is what’s stamped on the carb for the part number. I’ve seen the part number you’ve listed and I think it’s a replacement or updated version.
It's possible you need to get the Genuine Briggs & Stratton carburetor. Those Chinese knock-offs for $40 can cause issues.

eBay

Also there's two different jets; #117 and #118.

#118 is the high altitude jet and if the Chinese put that one in and you're at sea level, you're gonna be running way too lean.

Look for black smoke to confirm a rich condition. Check for obvious stuff like choke staying closed or clogged air filter. Oil contamination of a dry paper type filter prevents air flow.

Look for black smoke to confirm a rich condition. Check for obvious stuff like choke staying closed or clogged air filter. Oil contamination of a dry paper type filter prevents air flow.
Black smoke. Filter on or off doesn’t change the result. Choke appears to operate normally

Maybe the o-ring was only part of the problem and the carb is dirty . Run some Techron, Seafoam or STP in it to see if clears up .

Back