JD 524 or 828D snow blower

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've decided against buying a new snow blower this year, had a few things come up. I can't justify spending 1k+ on a good new blower. So I'm looking at buying a good used one. There are two local ones for sale. A JD 524 and a 828D. The 524 is in excellent condition and was owned by a mechanic - original owner bought a townhome and no longer needs. The 828D is a pretty darn good shape as well but the thing that has me thinking is that the current owner has only had it a year, had it serviced, and now wants to get rid of it for something new. Condition wise the 524 is much better than the 828D but the 828 has more power and wider swath with a serrated auger. The 524 is $350 and the 828D is wanting $550. If I went with the 524, would I be disappointed with the power? The auger is not serrated just smooth on the 524, is this a big deal? The 524 has has the tecumseh 5hp and the 828D has the 8hp tecumseh. The average snow fall I'd clear would be 4-8 inches with the 12-14" snow fall twice a year. On these machines should I buy based on condition? I'm leaning towards the 524 due to the history and condition, and if I dont like it I can sell it and buy something newer next year. These are the ariens built blowers iirc. Either way this will sure beat a scoop shovel...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
So I've decided against buying a new snow blower this year, had a few things come up. I can't justify spending 1k+ on a good new blower. So I'm looking at buying a good used one. There are two local ones for sale. A JD 524 and a 828D. The 524 is in excellent condition and was owned by a mechanic - original owner bought a townhome and no longer needs. The 828D is a pretty darn good shape as well but the thing that has me thinking is that the current owner has only had it a year, had it serviced, and now wants to get rid of it for something new. Condition wise the 524 is much better than the 828D but the 828 has more power and wider swath with a serrated auger. The 524 is $350 and the 828D is wanting $550. If I went with the 524, would I be disappointed with the power? The auger is not serrated just smooth on the 524, is this a big deal? The 524 has has the tecumseh 5hp and the 828D has the 8hp tecumseh. The average snow fall I'd clear would be 4-8 inches with the 12-14" snow fall twice a year. On these machines should I buy based on condition? I'm leaning towards the 524 due to the history and condition, and if I dont like it I can sell it and buy something newer next year. These are the ariens build blowers iirc. Either way this will sure beat a scoop shovel...

I deal with snowblowers quite frequently since I fix small equipment as a side business. You would probably be better off buying based on condition. Yes, the 828 is a larger machine, but if it wasn't maintained correctly you might be shoveling again if it breaks. Original owner machines that have a good service history make ideal used equipment purchases. It will also hold its value better if you decide to sell it.

I'd go for the bigger one, you could always repower it in a pinch. A $99 chonda would pay for itself in a couple storms if you gave the original engine to a mechanic for troubleshooting/ whatever. And the gearbox, auger, etc will be sturdier, 8 hp and up are generally "big block" machines where everything's tougher. Then you have the 4-7 hp lightweights.

IOW I don't think your average idiot could irreversably ruin a machine in a year.

To follow-up on eljefino, run both and drive them around. See how easily they start and how smooth the clutches work for auger and drive. Try different speeds. Make your choice based on that.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'd go for the bigger one, you could always repower it in a pinch. A $99 chonda would pay for itself in a couple storms if you gave the original engine to a mechanic for troubleshooting/ whatever. And the gearbox, auger, etc will be sturdier, 8 hp and up are generally "big block" machines where everything's tougher. Then you have the 4-7 hp lightweights.

IOW I don't think your average idiot could irreversably ruin a machine in a year.

I think you are giving the average idiot way too much credit.
grin.gif

Just last week a guy found out the hard way that his 3 year old push mower didn't take the longer OHV spark plug. Luckily I had a good used 3.5 hp Briggs piston in a box of saved parts.

Sometimes I wonder what is worse, those who neglect their machines and do no maintenance, or those who "try" to maintain their machines but really should have never touched it.
lol.gif
About 3 months ago I had a mower come in that wouldn't run. Turned out the owner managed to fit 2.5 quarts of oil in the crankcase and the carb had filled with oil.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back