Jay Leno's Garage on F1 oils...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Thanks for posting this!

For anyone who wants to skip to the oil part, it starts at 10:34.

If you watch a few of his Garage videos, you'll notice that he may be a an oil fan like us, he often specifies the oils he uses in his cars, which is interesting. For example on his supercharged Bugatti, he uses 2 stroke oil for the SC.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Mobil makes a custom blend for each car and adjusts as they can. The goal is to make the oil as light as possible but to keep wear in check.

I blame CATERHAM for this.

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
If you watch a few of his Garage videos, you'll notice that he may be a an oil fan like us, he often specifies the oils he uses in his cars, which is interesting. For example on his supercharged Bugatti, he uses 2 stroke oil for the SC.

Jay knows his stuff. One time he said he changes the oil in his Duesenbergs for example every 6 months regardless of use. Which is probably a waste but when your talking about motors that cost into the six figures to rebuild and most of the parts have to be made...whats a few gallons of oil. He was also having corrosion issues with a lot of his coolant systems and is switching over to Evans Waterless coolant.

If I remember correctly he has a thing for Redline gear oils and mentions it quite often.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yonyon
Mobil makes a custom blend for each car and adjusts as they can. The goal is to make the oil as light as possible but to keep wear in check.

LOL bet its a 0w5...

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/mclaren-at-circuit-of-the-americas/index.shtml#item=306020

Very interesting segment on Jay playing with some cool cars. But more interestingly he gets into some detail about how team McLaren and Mobil 1 treat their gear box, engine and hydraulic oils.

Yeah, we sort of knew this already. I noticed it while watching the 24h of Le Mans this year -- you could see special Mobil 1 bottles going into the Porsches. Still a good watch though. Thanks.

Jay knows his stuff. One time he said he changes the oil in his Duesenbergs for example every 6 months regardless of use. Which is probably a waste but when your talking about motors that cost into the six figures to rebuild and most of the parts have to be made...whats a few gallons of oil. He was also having corrosion issues with a lot of his coolant systems and is switching over to Evans Waterless coolant.

If I remember correctly he has a thing for Redline gear oils and mentions it quite often.

What if Jay visits BITOG at all, what if he saw my comment, and winked and nodded
blush.gif

Maybe he is a member.... Who might it be???? :
cool.gif

What if Jay visits BITOG at all, what if he saw my comment, and winked and nodded
blush.gif

Maybe he is a member.... Who might it be???? :
cool.gif

Maybe Technologs...?

Originally Posted By: yonyon

crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back