Japanese-made compact FWD SUV, no CVT?

What are my options if I want a compact SUV that was actually assembled in Japan, but isn’t AWD and has a conventional transmission? I like the Mazda CX-5 except they seem to only be available in AWD. Does such a vehicle exist in the new market?
I Mazda made in Japan?

You'll have to get a Ford or GM vehicle, and it won't be made in Japan. Ford Escape is available in FWD and has a regular automatic transmission (unless you get the hybrid).

You'll have to get a Ford or GM vehicle, and it won't be made in Japan. Ford Escape is available in FWD and has a regular automatic transmission (unless you get the hybrid).
The Escape has a turbo and start/stop, neither of which I want. GM is dead to me after the bailout.

I guess a compromise is inevitable.

It’s the turbo that bothers me most. I’m afraid it would spontaneously disable itself at high velocity.

I admit it, I am a Luddite.
Turbochargers are a well known tech at this point. Gas engines have been commonly using them since the 80's, and Diesel engines have been using them longer. I wouldn't worry about turbo failure as long as you're taking care of the vehicle.

What are my options if I want a compact SUV that was actually assembled in Japan, but isn’t AWD and has a conventional transmission? I like the Mazda CX-5 except they seem to only be available in AWD. Does such a vehicle exist in the new market?
Not sure on why it has to be Japanese assembled. When I worked for a Lexus dealership the RX350's fit and finish were identical whether it was assembled in Ontario or Japan. Robots don't tend to work better in one country vs another.

Not sure on why it has to be Japanese assembled. When I worked for a Lexus dealership the RX350's fit and finish were identical whether it was assembled in Ontario or Japan. Robots don't tend to work better in one country vs another.
Japan has a huge population crisis - there running out of young people, or more aptly - have already run out. One of many reasons why Toyota and others continue to build plants everywhere else.

The 2022 update of the CX-5 allows it to operate in FWD-only mode when AWD traction isn't needed, which wasn't possible on any previous MY. If you live somewhere with little / no snow, the rear diff may not come on often anyway. Doesn't prevent the eventual drain and fill maintenance, but if fuel economy is something you're worried about Mazda does claim a "practical improvement in fuel economy".

The thought had crossed my mind.

Right now the choice seems to be between a Japanese CX-5 AWD and a Canadian RAV4 FWD. The CX-5 has the same 2.5 Skyactiv engine as my Mazda6 (which I like) but the Toyota has port + direct injection which might be better for long term reliability.

I’m guessing I can get the Mazda for at least $1000 less than the Toyota.

The Rav4 is the better car :)

Drive them both and shop for the best deal

These days it's not about finding a vehicle that you actually like or otherwise find acceptable; it's about finding the least objectionable.
True. I just want to get one more good conventional ICE only vehicle before all the new mandates make them impossible to find. One good one might just last the rest of my driving days.

Japan has a huge population crisis - there running out of young people, or more aptly - have already run out. One of many reasons why Toyota and others continue to build plants everywhere else.
I saw something on YouTube where a few companies actually brought in Americans for some higher up management and executive roles. It seems like alot of Americans get tired of the culture after two or three years. The lack of space and tiny dwellings seem to be a big part of it.

All this RAV4 talk made me remember the best and the worst RAV4 generation of all time. It gave us the fastest RAV4 ever made, with the 3.5L V6. But, when optioned with AWD, it became the most unreliable RAV4 ever made.
These days a FWD 5-speed auto and a 3.5L V6 would be a great combo in a daily driver, especially with the $5k-$10k price tag they're going for. Many owners report 29MPG hwy, and 20-22 around town. Bigger than a Matrix, but smaller than a Sienna or Highlander. Some even had the 3rd row seats. Camry Wagon?
1000019264.jpg

I wouldn’t fret over a Honda HR-V or Subaru Forester - both are compact with CVTs, made in Japan. Honestly, you’d be hard-pressed to spot a difference between a Japanese and Canadian built RAV4 or a CR-V made in Japan/Ohio/Canada/Mexico. The Japanese are much better at consistency and having similar processes at their global manufacturing sites.

And the Japanese also had their suppliers come here or formed joint ventures with existing domestic suppliers so they can play by their rules and adopt JIT. One example is interiors - Toyota has their own interiors/safety supplier, Tokai Rika. Tokai Rika setup joint ventures with the then automotive interiors division of Johnson Controls and TRW for seatbelts/airbag modules to supply their Kentucky plant initially.

Back