Japanese cuisine and eggs

Yesterday I came across a channel that films the kitchens in various restaurants in Osaka. It was mind boggling how much eggs are used in the Japanese cuisine, for lunch and dinner. I now have a new appreciation of what the Japanese eat, and it is not what we would call "healthy".

Just to make sure that it's not just Osaka, found other channels doing similar things and consumption of massive amounts of eggs was a common theme.

Lack of raw fish was another eye opener - an average American likely eats more raw fish than an average Japanese.
Most countries don’t eat healthier than us they just don’t eat as much as we do. The first time I went to Europe I couldn’t believe how small the portions were and how expensive food was. I’m from Texas where Mexican restaurants give you unlimited chips and salsa and the dinner plates are the size of trash can lids.

Most countries don’t eat healthier than us they just don’t eat as much as we do. The first time I went to Europe I couldn’t believe how small the portions were and how expensive food was. I’m from Texas where Mexican restaurants give you unlimited chips and salsa and the dinner plates are the size of trash can lids.
I’ll say it over and over it’s not how much you eat it’s what you are eating.I could have you eat pounds of food a day and be cutting weight portion size has nothing to do with it.

I’ll say it over and over it’s not how much you eat it’s what you are eating.I could have you eat pounds of food a day and be cutting weight portion size has nothing to do with it.
To a point yes. You could opt to only eat clean and keep the weight off no problem. But if you want to have balance and eat some junk too you’ll need to control your portions and calories. You could binge on just lean protein and veggies and never gain a pound. But that is generally not long term sustainable. Cutting weight is a temporary thing not a lifestyle.

To a point yes. You could opt to only eat clean and keep the weight off no problem. But if you want to have balance and eat some junk too you’ll need to control your portions and calories. You could binge on just lean protein and veggies and never gain a pound. But that is generally not long term sustainable. Cutting weight is a temporary thing not a lifestyle.
Many people including my self have gotten lean down near 100lbs 6ft1 170 out of season I have kept it offf for nearly 7+ years I continue to live a lean lifestyle style as many many do it IS sustainable I don’t eat much garbage at all BEER yes I admit the lifestyle is working out 6 days a week and knowing what numbers I need to eat daily.

You might want to see my food post in what are you eatin it might give you a clue. Most people fail because they are weak minded and have no drive what it takes.

Many people including my self have gotten lean down near 100lbs 6ft1 170 out of season I have kept it offf for nearly 7+ years I continue to live a lean lifestyle style as many many do it IS sustainable I don’t eat much garbage at all BEER yes I admit the lifestyle is working out 6 days a week and knowing what numbers I need to eat daily.

You might want to see my food post in what are you eatin it might give you a clue. Most people fail because they are weak minded and have no drive what it takes.
Yeah you’re kind of making my point. I train frequently as well and used to body build. I can, and have, bulked up and cut weight at will. I know how manipulate hormones and control/lose fat while gaining muscle with only diet and exercise. But you and your regiment are the minority. Most people aren’t doing extensive exercise and eating perfectly clean. So yeah it can be done and maybe you think those who don’t do what you do are weak. But the fact is it is easier to teach someone to eat in moderation than to getting someone to workout 5 days a week and get their diet dial perfect.

Japanese people get more exercise in from their daily activity. If one lives twenty minutes walk from the nearest train or subway station that is considered great.

It’s also the amount of eggs that one person eats. Their omelettes are typically made thin and rolled in a square pan. Then they are sliced into servings.

Japanese people get more exercise in from their daily activity. If one lives twenty minutes walk from the nearest train or subway station that is considered great.

It’s also the amount of eggs that one person eats. Their omelettes are typically made thin and rolled in a square pan. Then they are sliced into servings.

One dish was to make very thin omelets, stack them on top of each other and then slice them into noodle like shape. It was then used as a topping for an udon dish.

I'm not too surprised. Us Mexicans will eat eggs and beans for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and we won't complain because it's different every time. There's so many different styles to make them it's surprising.
Yep absolutely! My Mexican gf is making egg and chorizo tacos for her dinner. I made sweet potatoes (covered with vanilla extract and butter), sautéed asparagus and brussels sprouts, and leftover grilled chicken, but she wanted eggs instead:D (y)

That was the surprising thing - almost everything is deep fried or fried with copious amounts of salt and yet they are not obese or short lived. So what is the reason behind our poor health status in this country - it certainly isn't the fried foods, lack of veggies, meats or carbs.
Genetics. Asian people have a very long and healthy life span.

I’m from Texas where Mexican restaurants give you unlimited chips and salsa and the dinner plates are the size of trash can lids.
^^This is the way I like to eat! When I leave a restaurant, I went to be in food coma mode, not leaving still hungry:D

Okinawans have the absolute highest. Although Japan China and India are seeing a surge in overweight and diabetes due to fast food moving in.

A big reason for that is the younger generations eating more fast food with less exercise. Fast food has always been around in Japan but the big chains are indeed becoming more popular with younger people.

That was the surprising thing - almost everything is deep fried or fried with copious amounts of salt and yet they are not obese or short lived. So what is the reason behind our poor health status in this country - it certainly isn't the fried foods, lack of veggies, meats or carbs.
The average American lifestyle results in more comorbidities compared to lifestyles in other parts of the world. It's a result of too much of everything, an inability to say "no thanks," and believing that damage done can for sure be undone later in life. There's a pill for everything.

Egg really is an ingredient for all meals in most cultures. Somehow in the US we only correlate it with breakfast, unfortunately.
Now that eggs cost more than Beef Round it’s unlikely folks will start eating more eggs.

The roadside stands selling eggs from their backyard are actually priced well now

I bought eggs in a semi bulk scenario for the first time
$3.27/dz isn’t great but $1+ cheaper than the usual places

You never heard of Sumo wrestlers?

sumo1a.jpg
I’ve finally found my doppelgänger!

Saw a recipe in a 1956 issue Betty Croker for egg rivels in soup. We used more eggs in the past perhaps because eggs got a bad rap for cholesterol for many years.

Saw a recipe in a 1956 issue Betty Croker for egg rivels in soup. We used more eggs in the past perhaps because eggs got a bad rap for cholesterol for many years.
The more we worry about what we eat, the unhealthier we become :unsure:

Back