Life to get a bit worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I could work from home too, but my office keeps pushing it back for no reason. I imagine if oil prices shot up so high, people wouldn't be able to afford to drive to work, then hopefully some companies would let you work from home.

It's because of the "Cat is away, the mice will play" mentality of these big greedy corporate CEO's. There has been many studies that prove otherwise.

I know for myself, I work even harder than I would inside a cube because I want my non supervising upper managment to know I'm worth what they pay me because they don't see my daily work environment but see my pay-cheque every 2 weeks...

Do I leave early some days or go browse the oil isles at 2pm in the afternoon? Sure, but I also have my e-mail open when I get home or put in extra hours here/there without taking the time "officially" back. I always keep my phone on, on days off and help out if needed assuming I'm not doing anything with the family or on out of country vacation etc.

13.gif

Look for lots more motorcycles and bicycles to be used. And scooters/mopeds that get 100 mpg.

I smell nuclear in the wind getting blown about by those wind turbines getting held up by NIMBY's.

Some good thoughts in that piece but its wrapped up in too much bomb throwing. $200 a barrel? Doubt it. The last bubble we had was driven by speculation, not supply/demand. We discussed this ad infinitum, what, two years ago?

No doubt oil prices will rise as demand increases and supply remains tight, even decreases. If we can keep the ex-Enron traders from jacking with the system again, prices should rise is a rather stable and predictable manner, instead of what we had in the recent past.

The rest of the author's conclusions are nothing but hyperbole and fantasy. Too bad he couldn't control himself, he had some interesting thoughts about the retraction and refocusing of mfr'ing jobs and locally-focused enterprise.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Some good thoughts in that piece but its wrapped up in too much bomb throwing. $200 a barrel? Doubt it. The last bubble we had was driven by speculation, not supply/demand. We discussed this ad infinitum, what, two years ago?

If the speculators are still alive and in positions of influence, hang on.

Or do you have some good news I'm not aware of? Were they all on the Air France flight from Brazil or something good like that? I don't think so.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: bretfraz

If the speculators are still alive and in positions of influence, hang on.

Or do you have some good news I'm not aware of? Were they all on the Air France flight from Brazil or something good like that? I don't think so.

I have no idea as to the status of speculators. I'm sure they're still around.

My point was to counter the suggestion by the op-ed author that the price of oil will shoot up to $200/barrel due to higher demand and a reduction in supply, just like it did when oil hit $150/barrel. I think the writer's premise is incorrect so his new conclusions are equally incorrect.

if there's a direct hit by a hurricane(s) on any of the gas refineries or ports in the GULF region you'll see a spike like never before and the prices will remain high for a long period of time that would impact heating oil ( kerosene ) , propane , and natural gas as well . So , keep your fingers crossed .

One Shell station, that's notoriously high all the time, reached $2.99 today. Rediculous.

I love my motorcycle. One of my better automotive decisions. More than twice the gas mileage of my car, tires, oil & brakes are dirt cheap.

What I need is a car that runs on garbage(Back to the Future). Throw some trash in it and BA-BLAM power
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Anies
What I need is a car that runs on garbage(Back to the Future). Throw some trash in it and BA-BLAM power
LOL.gif

UL (GOD'S LAW) won't allow it. Well, UL may, but there will then be a shortage of garbage or the energy released will have some other bad effect. You'll have billions of people consuming stuff just to produce garbage and "disappear" the fundamental elements that make garbage production possible.

You can't trump UL.

Well why not create an engine that burns garbage, passes the exhaust fumes to a device which then in turn concerts it into another form of energy the vehicle is capalble of using then continue the cycle till it cannot be done and poof what little is left into the air.

Like the Hum-vee takes diesal fumes and makes water that is available for the soliders to drink. Then take the bypass and think of another way to use it, maybe make a compression chamber where it gets pushed into and utilizing for additional motion much like the cars in India based on air technology...and put a match at the end so it blows fire like the Batmobile(well ax the last part, i like humor though).

Think of the amount of trash that is available. Secondly it doesn't need to be just trash, but more. Light refraction in a prism generates energy, find ways of amplifying it, harness it etc.

Wish I became an engineer.

Last edited:
Quote:
Wish I became an engineer.

I've heard some describe it as being in a more entertaining squirrel cage with better benefits in practicing acts of futility.

Sounds better than being a cubicle pet. Used to love computers, supporting everything and the kitchen sink kinda takes the love away. Almost like being a Gynecologist..

And forgive my abuse of the English language in my previous post. Where have my spelling capabilities gone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back