JAGUAR STJLR.51.5122 Motul vs Ravenol vs Liqui-Moly Test Results 0W-20

I sent in some oil samples to analyze to determine what would be the most ideal for my 5.0 Supercharged V8. I am currently using Liqui-Moly Special-Tec. I only drive about 4k miles per year and get annual oil changes so I dont think it will make much of a difference but I do drive like a little old lady, rarely going over 3000rpm's. I live in Maryland and keep it in the garage most of the time so I guess my only concern would be carbon deposits as I dont really do "Italian Tune-ups". What do you think is best for my situation? I have below the Liqui-Moly Special-Tec, Motul 5122, and Ravenol ECS.

Liqui-Moly.jpg
Motul.jpg
Ravenol.jpg

While I agree with kschachn in principle, you already spent the money on the VOAs so let's see which looks best according to the info we do have. First of all, they all are great oils, I'm sure and you won't go wrong with any of them. That said, I personally prefer the Ravenol just based on the moly content, ever so slightly higher Ca, Ph and Zn, and the viscosity. It's almost as thick as the Liqui Moly but the rest of the elements look "better." I put that in quotes because again, there's only so much you can tell from a cheap spectrographic analysis.

It would've been better to get TBN results, but oh well. Thank you for sharing these VOAs with us.

Thank you for posting these samples… I have used Motul in the past and have been impressed with it…. That being said-when I say the past-talking about 10 years ago or more and think they used better or at least more expensive basestocks back then…. I have noticed on their safety data sheets that most-if not all of their oils-mainly referring to 8100 series use mostly group 3 base stocks… Liqui Moly is the same and I recall a representative of liquid Molly, counting the fact that they use those group three base stocks… I think Ravenol uses Pao base stocks in many of their higher end oils but have no experience with other them… Again-always had positive experiences with motul-last oil used by them was slightly more recent their 507 Volkswagen oil which again is mainly group 3 but that bias aside-I felt my old TDI ran wonderfully with it-and tried most of the tdi oils when had that car.

I have had more than several of the LR 5.0SC and 3.0SC engines apart and over the years I have noticed less GDI Deposits on the trucks that run consistently with Ravenol.. Most recently a 3.0SC with 126k miles that had a long run of Ravenol only and the intake valve deposits looked more like an engine with 25-30k miles and the deposits were softer, easier to clean without major abraisives... DISCLAIMER I know this is not Scientific Data from a controlled test and I am not trying to make any absolute claims and I do not work for or sell Ravenol....Just my observations for whatever they are worth..

Back