Liqui Moly Products for Volvo SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an xc90 2010 v8 - 105k miles. factory towing package etc.
I do tow with the vehicle and live in upstate NY with hilly terrain and drive 60+ miles a day. temps get in the negatives and can be in the 90s in the summer, I am looking at liqui moly products cause i have used them before and had good luck with their products on a diesel mercedes.
The manual states:
Engine oil must meet the minimum ILSAC specification GF-4, API SL, or ACEA A1/B1. They also note that for "extreme" conditions such as towing to use a synthetic 0w 30 or 0W-40 and name drop Castrol.

However sort of at a loss looking at more modern oil standards compared to the 2010 standards of the vehicle. not sure where to decide. no one oil states all the above and they seem to be newer standards? is it ok to always assume a newer standard vs something that meets an older standard?
Two oils I am looking at are:
Liqui-Moly Special Tec V: 0w-30
Liqui-Moly Molygen 5w-30

However here is the total list they provide for the vehicle:
https://www.liqui-moly.us/en/product...98c3c62386f87/

any help and opinions! greatly appreciated!

If you must stick with Liqui Moly, the Special Tec V 0W-30 seems to meet the A5/B5 and a modern Volvo spec.

While I'm sure it's fine, I've never seen evidence that Liqui Moly products are better than commonly available oils at Walmart or the auto parts stores. And I've certainly never seen good deals on the oil, although I'm sure there are some out there.

If it were my car, I would use Mobil 1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-40, whichever is available at Walmart for the best price. They meet ACEA A3/B4 and several European specifications for engine oil quality.

Last edited:
Just to add a quick bit about the specs. By no means is this complete, but there is a lot of info on the web and on this site if you want more.

A1/B1 is an obsolete specification.

A5/B5 has similar viscosity and sulfated ash limits.

A3/B3 and A3/B4 has slightly higher viscosity requirements (HTHS greater than or equal to 3.5 cP, as opposed to between 2.9 and 3.5 cP).

I doubt you'll see much difference in fuel mileage between an A5/B5 0W-30 or 5W-30 vs an A3/B4 oil.

Drtyler,
Thanks for the info! - I am by no means married to Liqui-moly lol I had used it in a diesel mercedes and was surprised at the reduced engine noise using the liqui-moly over a pennzoil that was used, so figured i would target that again. I have heard others have good luck with Castrol professional, but i felt the castrol mention was just a deal between volvo and castrol. I have no experience with their oils.
In my prior volvo i had exclusively used mobil 1 synthetic and had good luck though- 250k on that engine- still going.

on my xc90, Since i do tow with the vehicle, my assumption is i would want a higher viscosity oil? so finding an a3/b4 or a3/b3 oil is likely better? you recommend w40 should i target the w40 over w30? to reduce consumption?
Another question is there one rating better than the other, I see the API rating, the Ilsac and the ACEA. for my vehicle should i try to stick with one rating and follow that? doesnt seem they all are on par.

welcome2.gif

Here is a great summary from LiquiMoly posted by kr_bitog: https://s2dynamics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/new-liquimoly.pdf

They indicate their Special Tec 0W30 SL A5/B5 (A1/B1 is obsolete)

Last edited:
A5/B5 and A3/B4 are just different, one is not better than the other. A5/B5 is slightly thinner and more for fuel economy, while A3/B4 has higher required minimum HTHS viscosity. Wear requirements are the same for both.

If you would prefer to use -30 oil, then Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is rated A5/B5. It will likely be fine as well. It is available for the same cost as the two 0W-40 oils.

I've had good luck over the years using both Castrol 0W-40 and Mobil 1 0W-40 in my vehicles. So I don't mind recommending them, even when they meet different specifications than what is listed in your owner's manual. They are only slightly thicker and shouldn't harm gas mileage, and they meet a few different Euro manufacturer requirements that absolutely aren't required for your car (Mercedes 229.5, VW 502/505, Porsche A40).

Originally Posted by VolvoPetrol
Drtyler,
Thanks for the info! - I am by no means married to Liqui-moly lol I had used it in a diesel mercedes and was surprised at the reduced engine noise using the liqui-moly over a pennzoil that was used, so figured i would target that again. I have heard others have good luck with Castrol professional, but i felt the castrol mention was just a deal between volvo and castrol. I have no experience with their oils.
In my prior volvo i had exclusively used mobil 1 synthetic and had good luck though- 250k on that engine- still going.

on my xc90, Since i do tow with the vehicle, my assumption is i would want a higher viscosity oil? so finding an a3/b4 or a3/b3 oil is likely better? you recommend w40 should i target the w40 over w30? to reduce consumption?
Another question is there one rating better than the other, I see the API rating, the Ilsac and the ACEA. for my vehicle should i try to stick with one rating and follow that? doesnt seem they all are on par.

Last edited:
Yes, slightly more viscosity is nice when heating the engine up a lot during towing or racing. 0w40 gets my vote here for your engine & usage.
Just follow the toughest, most comprehensive rating around: MB 229.5 in a 0w-40. Mercedes is the most picky about getting the highest performance out of their oils than almost anybody on the planet. Porsche & BMW are right with them.
---- Walmart's 5 quart jugs of Castrol 0w-40 or Mobil1 0w-40 are the best deals.---- Any 0w40 will do just fine. I've never seen a bad 0w40. Flows good when cold, protects when hot.

Castrol Edge 0w-40 at Walmart is hard to beat. The only boutique oil I ever go after is Ravenol 0w-40 SSL or Ravenol 5w-40 RUP and I only get those when they are on sale coupled with free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back