It's time to say goodbye, old friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually don't comment when people post about losing their pet. It's not because I don't care, but because it's tough to deal with even the thought of losing a pet. Now I am making such a post. Our cat Rebel is 23 years old. His health has deteriorated over the last year. We have been giving him medication for hyperthyroidism for the last 8 months. His kidney function is declining and he keeps getting dehydrated. His color has changed from almost black to dark brown, he is losing his fur and his ears are now almost bald. Over the last few days, he has taken a turn for the worse and is dwindling away. He eats very little, is down to 4.8 pounds and is so deconditioned he can barely walk. Last time I saw him jump onto the bathroom counter - he prefers drinking from the faucet - was three weeks ago. He is too weak to poop and we had to take him to the vet to get him disimpacted. Most of the time he spends wrapped in his blanket on our sofa. The poor little guy's eyes have shrunk back into the skull and their yellow color has faded, and his cheeks are moist like he has been crying. Dying is hard. Keeping him alive is more about us than him at this point, and so my son and I have decided to end his misery rather than selfishly holding on to him.

4 months ago

95w.jpg

Today

P7138348w.jpg

So sorry to hear this - losing a pet is absolutely heartbreaking. It is time, and you're doing the right thing.

23 years is an outstanding age for a cat. I figure they get to about the equivalent of 15 their first year, and age about five years per year there after. By that reckoning he's about 125 in cat years. You can be proud of the care and love you've given him. I want the Rainbow Bridge story to be true; I've some four-legged friends I'm looking forward to seeing again.

Amen ZZ... Well stated..

Feel really bad for you man... Been there done that... Hard.... Very hard to deal with.

You served your cat well... You did great by being such a great owner. And your cat Rebel knew... You loved him.

Poor old guy
frown.gif
Losing a pet is awful.

It's hard when the decision has to be made to send a pet over the rainbow bridge. There comes a point where they let you know.

23 years is a great life for a cat. You guys were great pet parents to Rebel.

Well said double vanos.

Feel the same way about my cat. I lived the same way with her...

OP if you need anything.. you can send me a msg anytime. Take care of yourself man. One day at a time.

I'm sure there will be some tough days ahead. Rebel has depended on you for his daily care for his entire life and he is depending on you to help himself end the suffering . Your pets can give you love and attention, can be a real member of your family, help you through hard times but have a tough time taking care of themselves. It will be one of the toughest things you've ever done but your cat has given everything he has and it's your turn to give him the peace he deserves.

That is a tough one. I take care of a 20 year old black male cat. Kidneys are starting to fail. Not looking forward when he is gone physically.

I was asked to take my mom and stepfather's dog Lucy to the vet for the last time. One of the toughest things I have ever done.

So Sorry. We are in the midst of losing our senior dogs, three in the last year, two more at 15 years of age. It doesn't get easier, but wouldn't miss having them despite the pain of losing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back