It's time to say goodbye, old friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dog had a stroke or similar a month before her 18th birthday. She was my wife's dog and only paid attention to me when my wife was at work or sick or from 5am to 7am when my wife was up working out in our basement gym. She was a fair-weather friend. While she hated me 22 hours a day and often attacked me with her 8 pounds of fury being protective of my wife, she would curl up with me in the mornings. I miss her dearly.

I think you've made the right decision. Sometimes a pet's health deteriorates quickly and suddenly. Time to say good bye. Peace to you.

Thank you all for your kind words and compassion. This is my wife's cat. She got the cat years before we started dating, she brought the cat along when we got married, the cat was there when our son was born, and the cat was there when my wife died. He really is a family member. With my son going off to university next year it's going to be a bit lonely.

I have 4 cats, and had to let one go just over a year ago.. Your Rebel also reminds me of my oldest. Pets have a way of getting close to us that I think can in many ways surpass even the closeness we have with our own flesh and blood, so I can only imagine the loss that you're feeling.

Take comfort in the fact that you gave him a great life. 23 years is an amazing amount of time for a cat to live, and I have no doubt from what you've said that you made every one of them wonderful. You're doing the right thing, as hard as it is.

My condolences.

Sorry to hear about your loss. We went through the exact same situation with our 19 year old Siamese a few years ago. We had her since she was a kitten. I miss her all the time even 5+ years later now.

Putting a pet down is one of the hardest things I ever had to endure. You made the right decision. So sorry.

Sad indeed but as we all know, we are the "people" and it's up to us to manage the animals.
You are seeing to his welfare even during this most difficult of times.

We adopted a pair (litter-mates & brothers) of black cats who had been through 2 shelter homes.
Early in May I noticed one hadn't been tracking the Sun's patch on the floor.
Poor Malcolm had died in his sleep.
The pair was over 17 years old. Now Marcus (they came named) is an only cat.

He's buried in a nearby park.

I respectfully suggest avoiding the cremation route as having the ashes around prolongs the pain. It's also creepy and guests don't know how to react.

23 years is a awesome life for a pet. We have two cats. One is 12 the other is 8. Now we getting a puppy this weekend.

Originally Posted By: vavavroom
Thank you all for your kind words and compassion. This is my wife's cat. She got the cat years before we started dating, she brought the cat along when we got married, the cat was there when our son was born, and the cat was there when my wife died. He really is a family member. With my son going off to university next year it's going to be a bit lonely.
there are plenty in the pound that need a furrever home. My Rex came from the pound. He was destined to be destroyed later that day. I have had him 8 years.

I have put down older cats; Simon was at least 18.
I can tell you it is the most peaceful (responsible) thing you can do for your animal.
There is no pain; no more suffering.
Afterwards, we had his ashes spread and they gave us a clip of his fur.

Rebel is going to kitty heaven!

So sorry to hear! 23 is however an amazing life for a cat, you should be proud of the care and life you provided him with that allowed him to reach that milestone.

frown.gif
sorry to hear. Mine is getting old too ,she doesnt get around as easy as she used too
frown.gif

yes loosing a pet is NOT easy. fore sure harder than loosing a car / truck. i think God sent this great friend to you to receive love and give love.

Crossed the Rainbow Bridge where he will be made young again. You gave him a good life and it's very hard to let go. I think you probably kept him alive too long though. We have made that mistake too and learned from it.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Crossed the Rainbow Bridge where he will be made young again. You gave him a good life and it's very hard to let go. I think you probably kept him alive too long though. We have made that mistake too and learned from it.

You weren't there and second-guessing and projecting your own guilt is ungracious. I didn't lay out a detailed account on the exact health condition and the comfort level of our cat. Our vet saw the cat repeatedly over the last week before we had him put to sleep. At midnight, the same day the vet confirmed our belief that it was time, Rebel was put to sleep with Propofol, followed by a cardiac arrest-inducing injection of Pentobarbital via IV. He was gone within 30 seconds of being administered the second drug. Some may think dying by euthanasia is easy, but it's not. A few seconds after the Pentobarbital had been administered, the poor cat took one great heaving breath, eyes wide open and expired breathing out slowly, eyes still wide open. Before closing his eyes, we kept talking to him for a while because we believe that even though the heart has stopped he may still be able to hear for a little while until brain death has occurred. His ashes will be buried in a corner of our yard, and we will plant a tree, maybe an American hornbeam, in that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back