It's okay to use the GPS on your phone while drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
sure why not? Just set it next to you and listen to it. It tells you the directions, you don't have to look at it.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
sure why not? Just set it next to you and listen to it. It tells you the directions, you don't have to look at it.

That's fine with me. I do that all the time, put it up on my windshield mount.

But, I don't touch it while driving.

I found it interesting that it was legal.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

That's fine with me. I do that all the time, put it up on my windshield mount.

But, I don't touch it while driving.

I found it interesting that it was legal.

It takes a couple years for them to actually make a law for something that comes into style. How are cops going to know if you're using your phone anyways when it's just sitting next to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the difference in using your GPS which is perfectly legal, and using your phone as a GPS? It took a court case to decipher that?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
What is the difference in using your GPS which is perfectly legal, and using your phone as a GPS? It took a court case to decipher that?

Yeah I don't get it either. I understand they are trying to cut down on accidents caused by people yakking on their phone, or worse texting while driving, but using the phone like a GPS unit? Come on now. Man this country is completely losing it's common sense.

The ones that approve of texting and driving are same ones that want to legalize all drugs, approve of drinking and driving, and smoking pot , and on and on and on.......

Just set it all up and start the route before you leave. If you caused a wreck because of that I wouldn't be surprised if it would get categorized texting and driving, using your phone etc. Heck half the GPS apps strongly recommend not to use while driving.

You guys realize that they make phone mounts so you can place your GPS device (phone) high up on the dashboard or windshield, yeah?

I use mine every evening. Google maps helps route around backed up freeways, and helps me anticipate slower sections (green, yellow, red colorings of the freeway are pretty accurate).

In the morning I just check http://www.tomtom.com/livetraffic/# before I leave, as I leave so early it's not worth having the extra light of a cellphone screen coming from my instrument cluster just to tell me the road is either completely clear or completely blocked.

You guys do know that on most built-in GPS systems, they disable any input to it while the vehicle is in motion?

Technically, what is the difference between entering GPS input or texting on the phone?

I push a button twice, my phone beeps and I ask my phone to give me directions to Wrigley Field, Chicago, and it will begin the process.

How much typing on the phone do you think folks have to do to get navigation these days?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You guys do know that on most built-in GPS systems, they disable any input to it while the vehicle is in motion?

Technically, what is the difference between entering GPS input or texting on the phone?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Sounds to me like a good way for people to start texting and driving again ...

This.

"Oh no Officer, I wasn't texting. I was using GPS on a road that I drive on every day".
crazy.gif

I have also seen plenty of people swerving all over the road trying to mess with their GPS device mounted on their windshield.

Quote:
I ask my phone to give me directions to Wrigley Field, Chicago,
Then the phone lady replies, "Calculating directions to Bergenfield New Jersey"

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
I ask my phone to give me directions to Wrigley Field, Chicago,
Then the phone lady replies, "Calculating directions to Bergenfield New Jersey"

crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back