its all b.s. explain this

Status
Not open for further replies.
so the other day my buddy calls me his truck is down and wont start. i give him a hand ended up being a dead battery. i notice the oil change sticker in his window says 147600 miles orr 11/07. i asked him about it he told me that was the last time he had his oil changed. i told him he should be having it changed every 5k miles or so. he told me hes had it changed maybe 4-5 times since he bought the truck new it 2001. its a 2001 chevy pickup with the smaller v8. it currently has about 210k miles on it. it runs decent too. always passes emissions here in phoenix area. he said hes never had a tune up done. the only work hes ever had to have done was replace a fuel pump. he has zero mechanical ability. i checked his air filter it was filthy he told me he didnt even know the truck had a air filter. id guess its been replaced at least the 4-5 times hes had the oil changed. ... this is insane to me. 210k plus miles and hes only had the oil changed 4-5 times and 60k miles since his last oil change. i changed it 4 him it only had about 3.5 quarts of oil and the filter was the worst ive ever seen. .... all this oil [censored] is b.s. on a regular normal performance vehicle. . . this is the most extreme ive ever heard of. he has a 2002 dodge caravan with 150k miles and he told me hes maybe had the oil changed 3 times on that becuase that is his wifes vehicle. and she never does it. how you like them apples

shocked2.gif
My doctor would seriously have to up my medication in order for me to even consider this kind of maintenance regiment.

He's nuts and I'm sure it will catch up with him... he's boldly going where no man has gone before... A TBN/TAN off the charts!

Ask him if you can do a UOA on his next change. I bet you it gives someone a heart attack at Blackstone.

Also ask him if he had a sex change and was formerly a blonde!
LOL.gif

I'd be interested to see what the oil pickup screens look like :0.o:

Pretty much the way life goes...... People that maintain like him have vehicles that last forever.

Then BTOG guys have transmissions and engines blow up left and right.
shocked2.gif

actually he was raised by his mom. his dad died in a motorcycle accident when he was 5. and not going to do a uoa got my own problems to deal with.just thought i would share. i agree with the last comment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nazareth
he told me he didnt even know the truck had a air filter.

That is very hard to believe,, my 16 year old blond daughter even knows cars have AF..your bud needs help,send him this WS link....

actually he was raised by his mom. his dad died in a motorcycle accident when he was 5.
That explains it then... Too bad about his dad, what a tragedy.

I was only kidding about the SC operation...
wink.gif

no offense taken that was his excuse he was raised by his mom. he makes fun of himself.
hard 2 believe? what is it with people u post something and they call u a liar. my daughter knows blah blah i bet she wouldnt have known if u didnt tell her. no ones ever told him. there alot of stuff i know that u dont that i could say my 6 year old daughter knows hard to believe you wouldnt and vice versa. lol . and people wonder why people cant just get along

You should teach him... Just basic maintenance. It will make a positive change to his bottom line over time and could mean the difference in him having money to retire or send his kids to college etc. because he has saved money on vehicles... Although he seems to be doing fine...

To paraphrase XS650..

This is more a testimony to the robust design of the engine than it does the sensibility of the operator.

He has ignorance on his side. If anyone here had just one .5 second flash of the idiot light, the consequences would be devastating. One or two missed oil changes would have permanent and severe side effects.

Ignorance can be your to your benefit sometimes. You're not cluttered with gun shy experience and/or knowledge.

told him i would do it 4 him whenever he wanted. hes different youd just have to know him hes a gamer guy. a 6'6" 250lbs gamer .

no offense taken that was his excuse he was raised by his mom. he makes fun of himself.
hard 2 believe? what is it with people u post something and they call u a liar. my daughter knows blah blah i bet she wouldnt have known if u didnt tell her. no ones ever told him. there alot of stuff i know that u dont that i could say my 6 year old daughter knows hard to believe you wouldnt and vice versa. lol . and people wonder why people cant just get along

Calm down there newbie where did i type liar? i said very hard to swallow,this coming from a grown adult that can and knows how to work in this world and drive/own a truck.

but he's in good hands if your willing to teach

Sounds to me like he could trade it off and will have saved money by NOT doing maintenance. Anyone who buys new and trades in every few years is probably WASTING money by doing maintenance.
Joe

daman. you posted i find it very hard to believe and enderlined very. my 16 year daughter knows and she blonde.newbie? does that make you a old geezer? j/k
jiffy lube sticker so bulk10w30 and a grade below fram oil filter

I believe it, it takes alot to kill an engine. coolant leak or timing belt failure. anything else?

My dad has pretty much had a coolant leak since 2003 in his 03 Nissan Sentra that he bought new. 2 headgaskets later, the POS still leaks. So let's see how long the engine lasts.
57.gif

As long as he keep topping it up, it should go forever... Did the person who did the gasket ever check to see if the heads were perfectly square?

daman. you posted i find it very hard to believe and enderlined very. my 16 year daughter knows and she blonde.newbie? does that make you a old geezer? j/k
jiffy lube sticker so bulk10w30 and a grade below fram oil filter

lol..i'm entitled to my thoughts right? thats my thought
grin2.gif

The sad thing is I would bet most cars would survive for a long time on his 'schedule'. If I was only plannnig on keeping my TL for 150,000 miles and it didn't have a $701 payment I would probably run a bulk 10w-30 for 15,000 mile intervals and never look back. The problem is I'm OCD (literally) and I want to see how long I can make it last. If the body goes before the engine I plan on tearing it down to see how much wear there is.

It seems like the ones that get away with this stuff are the ones who don't know any better. If I went 5 miles over my OCI, my car would probably throw a rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back