its all b.s. explain this

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has 210k miles on a vehicle basically following no maintenance schedule, and hasn't had any real problems with the truck. There's nothing you can do to convince him that he needs to follow a maintenance schedule, at this point he doesn't fear the consequences of not performing routine maintenance, and nothing you can do will make him.

If it were my friend, I'd show him the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule, then I'd teach him to check his own oil and how to top it up as needed; and that's it. It's not that I wouldn't want to help a friend, it's just that he has 210k miles of evidence to contradict anything I could say about following a proven maintenance schedule.

Honestly, tread lightly here, cause if you change the oil then his engine cr@ps out, he'll blame you and not the 210k miles of abuse he gave the engine

Originally Posted By: StevieC
As long as he keep topping it up, it should go forever... Did the person who did the gasket ever check to see if the heads were perfectly square?

We had two different Nissan techs do the work. the sucker still leaks. "supposedly" the word is, it's a bad head gasket design.

I don't buy it... My dad has had people have Head Gasket issues occur on cars over and over and my dad would take the head off and use a carpenters square to see if they were warped and 9/10 it would be.

He would send them off to be machined and put it back on the car and it wouldn't come back for that problem ever again.

Just because they work at Nissan doesn't mean they know what they are doing... We hope they do, but not always!
thumbsup2.gif

A friends father said oil never wore out, and all he did was change a filter once a year and top off as needed. It was an old Buick IIRC, had well over 100,000 miles on it. Looked like a POS, ran OK. He never changed oil in any of his cars, said it was a way for mechanics to make money. There's no convincing people like this, I don't even try.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
A friends father said oil never wore out, and all he did was change a filter once a year and top off as needed. It was an old Buick IIRC, had well over 100,000 miles on it. Looked like a POS, ran OK. He never changed oil in any of his cars, said it was a way for mechanics to make money. There's no convincing people like this, I don't even try.

AD

crazy2.gif
he actually thought this??
27.gif

Yes, he said it never wore out. I tried to engage a conversation stating that the additives wore out, and it got dirty. He said the oil didn't wear out, the filter caught the dirt, change the filter, and always make sure the engine is full and the car will last a long time. Funny thing was his cars did last a long time. Some people you don't argue with or try to reason with. In this case I didn't talk cars with him anymore.

AD

A friend of mine had a sedan with a V6, can't remember what, it's been years now. He never changed his oil the entire time he owned his car. After a year or two of abuse he had engine failure.

It really is a bad story since I can't remember any of the details. I just know he ruined his car because he never changed the oil ever. His problem is that he is exceptionally lazy and his cheapness is even worse.

Those guys are out there, they're the ones saying a certain Car stinks because the engine blew. Or they might have used Pennzoil for the one oil change they did 50,000 miles ago. Then when they see sludge or the engine blows Pennzoil was to blame. I try and ignore morons, it makes my life a little less stressful.

Yes, he said it never wore out. I tried to engage a conversation stating that the additives wore out, and it got dirty. He said the oil didn't wear out, the filter caught the dirt, change the filter, and always make sure the engine is full and the car will last a long time. Funny thing was his cars did last a long time. Some people you don't argue with or try to reason with. In this case I didn't talk cars with him anymore.

AD

I heard about someone like that my Dad knew. still better than never changing the filter or topping it off. if it goes through a qt every month or few, the oil is always being freshened up. and if someone like that has many miles to back up his method, who can argue?
reminds me of these times you hear of some 90something guy whose been smoking cigars all his life and eating bacon for breakfast every day, and the nurse tells him he needs to change his diet and stop smoking cause 'it's bad for him'.

Originally Posted By: nazareth
.... all this oil [censored] is b.s. on a regular normal performance vehicle. . .

Does this experience change your OCI routine or opinion of its importance?

I think the 90 year old who has smoked a pack a day is a great analogy here. Does it happen? Yes. Do those few instances make me want to tempt fate and try to make it happen for myself? No.

Originally Posted By: mpvue

AD

I heard about someone like that my Dad knew. still better than never changing the filter or topping it off. if it goes through a qt every month or few, the oil is always being freshened up. and if someone like that has many miles to back up his method, who can argue?
reminds me of these times you hear of some 90something guy whose been smoking cigars all his life and eating bacon for breakfast every day, and the nurse tells him he needs to change his diet and stop smoking cause 'it's bad for him'.

That pretty much sums it up, there are a lot of people who think that way. The truth probably is the oil itself doesn't wear out, its the additives, and the fact that it gets dirty that kills it. Keep it clean, the additives fresh and top it off who knows how long an engine will last.

I also knew a guy like this. He owned his own block foundation company and this was his personal work truck. A 199? f-350 crew cab long bed work truck, used for work! and hauling a boat. I found out that he had changed the oil three times (he thought) for about 150,000 miles and about five or six years. You could never tell by the way it ran or sounded. I just shook my head!

i get a kick out of his "schedule"...he could not get away with it in a new england winter...he has to be in top ten of I **** about oil changes stories...my bro in law had similar schedule and is pretty proud of himself now that he changes oil every 15 k...

the late great patriarch of boston celtics red auerbach smoked stogies and ate chinese food every day and lived till 88

somebody posted (360 kid) about knowing someone who ruined a engine by never changing oil...i guess the 9.50 jug of supertech was not in budget....and his laziness was only exceeded by his cheapness haha...i am cheap and lazy but not on oil

For every successful idiot that doesn't change oil and gets away with it, there is probably 1000 people that get burnt.

A few months back I was talking to a guy who worked with a guy who changed conventional oil every 20K miles. He's done that most of his life with multiple vehicles and it hasn't bitten him in the rear yet. I wouldn't do it but there are guys who get away with it.

Originally Posted By: RTBandit
Find out what brand and weight he's using. I may have to modify my maintenance schedule.
It's probably the dollar store .99 cent stuff *****
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back