Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
...timing chains will interchange

I thought this was a pushrod engine?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Mitsubishi 3.0

Not to go off topic, but the Mitsubishi 6G72 is a bullet proof engine. It does have the tendency to burn oil at later stages of its life, but it still keeps on trucking regardless!

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
...timing chains will interchange

I thought this was a pushrod engine?
confused.gif

It is a pushrod engine. OHV engines still have to have a camshaft, many of which are turned by chains. It just doesn't sit on top of the head, hence OHV instead of OHC. It's a belt that you don't commonly find on a pushrod engine.

I had lots of problems with the electronic EGR valve on the 4.3l in our '95 Astro. I always carried a tool box on trips and got fast enough with this repair that I could remove/clean/reinstall the EGR in under 20 minutes on a glowing hot engine - without burning myself!

My son had an updated version of the same engine in his 2001 Blazer and never had an EGR problem. But constantly replacing the SAI pump on that vehicle (until GM figured out how to design the system) was an expensive PITA.

Rear seals were a known weak spot, as well as some issue with the rear bearing carring the balance shaft. I never had either problem with either vehicle but these costly issues were commonly reported.

Makes me wonder if a 4L80E could be put behind a 4.3 to reduce the transmission failures. But then we'd probably be talking about how weak the rear axles are, or how the computer throws fits.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Mitsubishi 3.0

Not to go off topic, but the Mitsubishi 6G72 is a bullet proof engine. It does have the tendency to burn oil at later stages of its life, but it still keeps on trucking regardless!

The problem being that "later stages of its life" started as they drove off the dealer lot.... :p Yes,the bottom end is indestructible... but the top end sends them to the junkyard way before they should go. And Mitsu *never* got the thing fixed in 10+ years of trying (except the hi-po version in the Stealth/3000GT which had different heads entirely). Almost as bad as their old 2.6 with a new cylinder head casting *every* year through the 80s and never finding one that wouldn't crack.

The oil in my 4.3 was changed 3 times in 76,xxx miles before I recieved it. The oil was changed at: 15,232/30,432/48,398 miles The 4.3 is running strong, and smooth, no problems to speak of.

UOA trend for one of my 4.3 engines.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2043633
this truck had 42K on it when I bought it in 04 and is now at 122K. runs great.
my other 4.3 was rebuilt of my choosing to hot rod it w/110K on it and the builder was suprized it had that much on it when he opened it up. said looked more like 50-60K and that engine had a lot of NYC street time on it.
now my 85 Caprice was a different story, bought used in 88. spun a bearing 3 mo later dealer agreed to take care of it under warrenty and took them a month to get it back to me.din't have a problem after that. traded it in for the 91 now hot rod truck.no idea what the mileage was though.
definitly a solid engine.
the 85 and the 91 are TBI "Z" engines the 01 is the new CSFI "W" engine. as opposed to the old CPI "W" engine witch had some fuel pressure regulator and poppett problems.

Last edited:
Quote:
The problem being that "later stages of its life" started as they drove off the dealer lot.... :p Yes,the bottom end is indestructible... but the top end sends them to the junkyard way before they should go. And Mitsu *never* got the thing fixed in 10+ years of trying

As far as I can tell, the only difference in the Chrysler 6G72s was the Holley F/I...It certainly made accessing the back 3 plugs easier. They don't seem to have as many valve stem seal problems as the Mitsubishis did.

Tough engines. The 2000 Blazer I had was a headache, but the engine was the best part.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
What is amazing to me is its the white paint and most of the chevys from that timeframe have no rust, just major spots where the paint has "fallen" off. His is still in excellent condition.

That was the era of new low VOC paint formulations, IIRC, and they didn't quite get it down yet. But the galvanized metal kept rust at bay pretty well.

Yes, the 4.3 is a stout motor and will last--the hard parts anyway. If the rest of the vehicles they put this motor in were as good as the motor, GM would not have lost millions of customers. The S-10 family (4WD especially) were absolute garbage. EGR valves, F Inj spiders, fuel pumps, rear main seals, front trans pump seals, lower intake manifold gaskets, idler and pitman arms, and other various suspension bits---if you listened carefully you could actually hear them eating their ball joints. Electronic demons. And the paint----the peeling GM 80's and 90's paint!!! If you couldn't guess, I owned one of these gems (1993 Jimmy). Yes, the 4.3 was outstanding. And when I cash for clunkered it they destroyed the only thing on that truck that was worth anything. Most Ironic---

Can't forget the best thing --the leaks---If it's a part made by GM and it holds fluid--it will leak

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JDD
Can't forget the best thing --the leaks---If it's a part made by GM and it holds fluid--it will leak

I would expand this to include fluids from the outside leaking IN.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The 4.3 is a VERY tough engine-the 4L60E transmissions that they came with-NOT SO MUCH! The '97 I used to have had a reverse slip that was there from day one & was worsening when I sold it, the company I used to work for had several mid-90's 4.3l S-10s w/5 speeds that made it over 350K before they got rid of them.

I thought they had 700R4`s?

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
I liked the 4.3l v6 so much when I found my current truck (2004 GMC with 4.3l V6/5sp reg cab 4x4) I was very pleased it had the 4.3 in it.

Bill

Bill it sounds like you had about the last year they made the Jimmy/Blazer! Then they went to Colorado/Canyon and that truck is one people forgot exists.

I too think it is a great engine. Ill seriously look out for one, if i ever seriously buy a second vehicle.

My parents had one in the 90s and i was most impressed, mainly due to taking after the Chevrolet fanfare.. seems to be spot-on here. had a Dealer Demo. Wonderful, wonderful, Wonderful S-10 SUV. Absolutely great.

If the rattling back window latch doesnt bug the ____ out of you.
thumbsup2.gif
Doors close like tank doors.. thin doors, yet sturdy. i like.

My 2004 GMC is the Sierra.

Photos and story in this thread.

Take care, Bill

Nice looking truck Bill.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

I thought they had 700R4`s?

The E in 4L60E stands for electronically activated. First there was the 700r4, which, without changes, was renamed to the 4L60. That was redesigned to add electronic controls and called the 4L60E. The major hard parts which gave problems (clutches, sprags, planetaries, etc) are essentially the same design throughout.

I never had any of the problems listed above w/my 91. the 92-95 CPI engines had fuel related problems that led to the EGR and cat problems later. the 96 -02 had a LIM gasket that didn't like DEX that was a problem that GM should have recalled. the same could be said for the injection spider in the same yrs, that was changed in 03.
the transmission has never been a problem in either of the trucks. again when the 91 had the engine done I also had the trani done along w/it. had it rebilt w/Vette internals. the shop said it was in good shape when it was pulled apart for the mileage and type of service it was in.
the problem w/4L60E is the torque management, the shifts are so squishy for lack of a better term.I've yet to have custom tune to fix that.

The S10 in my signature is pushing 190k and drives great. The NV3500 is fantastic. And that doesn't even go into the fact it's been pushing around 1/2 ton axles and 37" tires for 3 years or so now. I've replaced a handful of things on it myself (water pump, alternator, fan clutch) but it has been pretty dang good to me. I'd feel lost without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back