It's AFM week.

I wish they would just get rid of the AFM. I think I have been involved in about 7 deletes now including the Caprice.
These guys got some miles out of them before failure so that is nice. The Caprice is the only AFM vehicle I have owned. As always
thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Definitely bringing my Silverado for AFM delete if the AFM goes while I still own it, Cline. :cool:

I wish they would just get rid of the AFM. I think I have been involved in about 7 deletes now including the Caprice.
These guys got some miles out of them before failure so that is nice. The Caprice is the only AFM vehicle I have owned. As always
thanks for sharing.
They have. Now they have DFM. Some models don't have the chips to turn the feature on-but the internal parts are still there. I test drove a 2021 Silverado for about 50 miles and the DFM was seamless. I would expect this feature to become active once chips are available. With DFM the motor can run on only one or two cylinders.

They have. Now they have DFM. Some models don't have the chips to turn the feature on-but the internal parts are still there. I test drove a 2021 Silverado for about 50 miles and the DFM was seamless. I would expect this feature to become active once chips are available. With DFM the motor can run on only one or two cylinders.
Yep and they have a similar issue in fact GM actually came out and said they did.

If the customer has cash flow issues, they picked the wrong vehicle.

When I was shopping for a truck, the lack of AFM is one of the main reasons I bought an 04 Silverado with a gen 3 LS engine.
Next spring/Summer my 2005 will be hitting 10,000 hours and around 225k miles. I still have about 32 psi oil pressure at hot idle. Dead silent when warmed up, just a slight tap on cold start. The oil pump o ring is all I'm really worried about but I'm monitoring the oil pressure and no change for the past couple years.

Next spring/Summer my 2005 will be hitting 10,000 hours and around 225k miles. I still have about 32 psi oil pressure at hot idle. Dead silent when warmed up, just a slight tap on cold start. The oil pump o ring is all I'm really worried about but I'm monitoring the oil pressure and no change for the past couple years.
Mine has 121k on it. Only issues I have are I believe a bad abs module and I have exhaust manifold gasket leak. Great oil pressure. Like yours slight tap when hasn’t been started in like a week. I recently replaced my valve cover gaskets and the valve train is spotless.

Yes they are that expensive. You get a good deal on SnapOn, but you don't leave with tools for the most part. I went to Santa Barbara City College and took the automotive program there instead of going to UTI. It was cheaper than high school (went to Catholic school) and I have done well since even though I work in parts.
Dang! That’s high. When I went through ASSETT many moons ago the cost was around 10k. The only catch was I had to be employed at a dealership that would sponsor me. Not a problem since I’d already been hired on full time after working half days there changing oil through my senior year of high school.

Back