Issue with NAPA UOA kits

I'd find this more than a little concerning.
I agree. You pay ahead, NAPA keeps the money until the sample is submitted. (my assumption).
If NAPA were to pay Alstribology as soon as the sample kit was sold (or when NAPA receives the sample kits to put on their shelves) then there would not have been a billing issue.
If you loose the sample kit, then pure profit for NAPA. Who knows what is really going on between NAPA and Alstribology. Maybe NAPA was trying to get a better deal and playing hardball with Alstribology.

As I mentioned I sent a a letter to the CEO of NAPA. He should get it this coming week. Maybe he will get back to me and provide more details.

So Atlanta has 250 NAPA samples backed up to process. They will process some each day along with new sample from all over arriving daily to work off the NAPA backlog.

I am thinking a sample mailed today will be processed before my NAPA sample mailed 7 weeks ago.

Glad I am not a cruise ship with a $10M diesel engine trying to determine when to change the oil. Or maybe it's a $50M cruise ship engine engine, whatever it costs is way more than my 6.7 PSD engine.

I raised this same problem back in early December... for a sample that I'd sent in back in early November. The Wix kits and the NAPA kits are the same, both being processed by ALS.

I did get a test result back late last week... so the good news is that something is happening again.

I apologize, I'm not sure how I thoroughly missed seeing this topic until now.

Last edited:
I raised this same problem back in early December... for a sample that I'd sent in back in early November. The Wix kits and the NAPA kits are the same, both being processed by ALS.

I did get a test result back late last week... so the good news is that something is happening again.

I apologize, I'm not sure how I thoroughly missed seeing this topic until now.

A lot more than WIX and NAPA use ALS. But only NAPA did not pay their bill.

I only have good things to say about ALS. Very good price and TBN & TAN.

From ALS. A whole month. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
****start of ALS email****
Good Morning,

We haven’t tested NAPA or WIX kits for a month due to an issue. We recently started testing these samples last Friday, it may take a week or two to get your report.

Thank You

A lot more than WIX and NAPA use ALS. But only NAPA did not pay their bill.

I only have good things to say about ALS. Very good price and TBN & TAN.

Considering that I'm having the same exact problem with Wix... I don't think it is correct to say that only NAPA didn't pay their bill.

Thanks for the updates on this. I sent a sample before Christmas and never got anything. I was pretty concerned but this makes me slightly less so.

I used to buy the WIX kits from Rockauto.com, it’s been 4 years but they were super cheap. I remember it was like $10 each with tax and shipping if you bought 5 at a time.

Just checked and now they are $26 each It must be “Putin’s price hikes” as I saw on CNN. 9% inflation equals 100%+ price increase in 4 years. D@mn you Vladimir Putin!

For about the same price the Amsoil oil analyzer kits with PPD shipping are a better value.

Last edited:
I used to buy the WIX kits from Rockauto.com, it’s been 4 years but they were super cheap. I remember it was like $10 each with tax and shipping if you bought 5 at a time.

Just checked and now they are $26 each It must be “Putin’s price hikes” as I saw on CNN. 9% inflation equals 100%+ price increase in 4 years. D@mn you Vladimir Putin!

For about the same price the Amsoil oil analyzer kits with PPD shipping are a better value.
Amazon has two WIX oil sample kits listed. One has tubing and the sample bottle for $18.66. The other without the sample tubing is more.

ALS now lists my sample as Pending Diagnosis, some tests complete.

Oddly I did not find it under New Samples, but under Sample Status (at the bottom).

Attachments

• PXL_20230110_184944984.jpg
    PXL_20230110_184944984.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 5
Got the report in my email today. Will post shortly. No idea if me talking to the nice lady at ALS helped in getting mine processed quickly after they started to again process samples from NAPA & WIX last Friday.

Got the report in my email today. Will post shortly. No idea if me talking to the nice lady at ALS helped in getting mine processed quickly after they started to again process samples from NAPA & WIX last Friday.
I'm sure your persistence paid off in this situation.

A real paper letter mailed in an envelope with stamp to the NAPA CEO got some action:

Mr. Durand,

Good morning. I am reaching out in regards to the letter we received for Mr. Donahue outlining your experience with sending in Oil Analysis Sample kit to Alstribology in Atlanta.

I first want to thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and making us aware of the poor experience you had. When we don’t know these things happen, we can’t fix them so for that, I want to say thank you!

Since receiving your letter last week, I had the opportunity to partner with multiple departments to determine the cause of this experience and I wanted to share back with you my findings.

Customer Service:

I first started with our customer service team due to your statement of not receiving a call back with an update. After partnering with the manager of the team, she provided the attached screenshot where agents were directed to call back any customers who reached out with issues related to the Oil Analysis Sample Kits. This was on 1/6/23—the same day that your letter was dated. I do not see anything in our notes that states we touched base with you again, please advise me if that is incorrect. In the meantime, we have followed up with the team member who handled your email and coaching has been provided on where the service level was dropped by not reaching back out to you to let you know the issue had been resolved with Alstribology.

Accounts Payable:

I then partnered with our Accounts Payable team to understand how we had an outstanding balance at Alstribology. Our manager of that department spoke with the Alstribology account manager and learned that NAPA does not pay for this service. This is paid for by one of our suppliers as a benefit of the partnership.

Category Management:

Our category management team owns the relationships with our suppliers. I have made the category manager who manages the relationship with this supplier aware of the issue. They are addressing this directly with the supplier to ensure it never happens again.

Mr. Durand, I again want to say thank you for making us aware of this issue and I apologize that we were not made aware sooner that this account was not in good standing. We now have this on our radar to ensure that our supplier keeps this account in good standing for our customers to use this service.

As an extension of my apology, I would like to refund your money for the oil analysis kit that you purchased. If you could provide me with which one you purchased, I will be happy to get a check sent in the mail for you.

Please don’t hesitate to give me a call if you’d like to discuss this further. My direct line is listed below. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kristin Watts

Director, Customer Care

A real paper letter mailed in an envelope with stamp to the NAPA CEO got some action:

Mr. Durand,

Good morning. I am reaching out in regards to the letter we received for Mr. Donahue outlining your experience with sending in Oil Analysis Sample kit to Alstribology in Atlanta.

I first want to thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and making us aware of the poor experience you had. When we don’t know these things happen, we can’t fix them so for that, I want to say thank you!

Since receiving your letter last week, I had the opportunity to partner with multiple departments to determine the cause of this experience and I wanted to share back with you my findings.

Customer Service:

I first started with our customer service team due to your statement of not receiving a call back with an update. After partnering with the manager of the team, she provided the attached screenshot where agents were directed to call back any customers who reached out with issues related to the Oil Analysis Sample Kits. This was on 1/6/23—the same day that your letter was dated. I do not see anything in our notes that states we touched base with you again, please advise me if that is incorrect. In the meantime, we have followed up with the team member who handled your email and coaching has been provided on where the service level was dropped by not reaching back out to you to let you know the issue had been resolved with Alstribology.

Accounts Payable:

I then partnered with our Accounts Payable team to understand how we had an outstanding balance at Alstribology. Our manager of that department spoke with the Alstribology account manager and learned that NAPA does not pay for this service. This is paid for by one of our suppliers as a benefit of the partnership.

Category Management:

Our category management team owns the relationships with our suppliers. I have made the category manager who manages the relationship with this supplier aware of the issue. They are addressing this directly with the supplier to ensure it never happens again.

Mr. Durand, I again want to say thank you for making us aware of this issue and I apologize that we were not made aware sooner that this account was not in good standing. We now have this on our radar to ensure that our supplier keeps this account in good standing for our customers to use this service.

As an extension of my apology, I would like to refund your money for the oil analysis kit that you purchased. If you could provide me with which one you purchased, I will be happy to get a check sent in the mail for you.

Please don’t hesitate to give me a call if you’d like to discuss this further. My direct line is listed below. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kristin Watts

Director, Customer Care

Great Response. What concerns me the most is that this upper level management had no idea this issue was happening... Not good. With all of the headaches you & others went through this seems to be a happy ending. Thanks for the update.

Accounts Payable:

So you buy a napa UOA kit from napa but another company supplies the kit to napa? This company that supplies the kit is who actually owed them money?

So you buy a napa UOA kit from napa but another company supplies the kit to napa? This company that supplies the kit is who actually owed them money?
Some company must manufacture the plastic parts of the kit and also include a sample questionnaire with unique tracking number.

Who keeps the $10 for doing the analysis if a kit is lost and never used? I am just guessing ALS gets $10 out of the deal for doing the actual analysis.

Some company must manufacture the plastic parts of the kit and also include a sample questionnaire with unique tracking number.

Who keeps the $10 for doing the analysis if a kit is lost and never used? I am just guessing ALS gets $10 out of the deal for doing the actual analysis.

Sounds like a cluster for sure. We can hope that your letter shed some light where it needed to be & this helps to minimize this situation again. Thanks for staying on top of this!

Back