Isopropyl alcohol with windshield washer fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kira
I've only seen 70% and 90% isopropyl for sale.

A chemist friend of mine looked up 100% and it's expensive and only shipped in large quantities for industry.

I have seen metal 3 gallon containers of 100% isopropyl, for lab use. Built like a metal kerosene can, with a handle.

Originally Posted by boom10ful
It'll work, but I'd be concerned about it drying out anything made of rubber.

Drying out? Regular windshield washer fluid uses methyl alcohol, it is functionally the same.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I need it here with all the de-icing

In winter in Texas, you'll sometimes come out from work to find a nice 1/8" thick sheet of solid ice solidly cemented on the windshield

Isopropyl in the washer tank makes pretty short work of it.

Originally Posted by sloinker
HEET is 99% isopropanol....or isopropyl alcohol. You can also buy methanol at a race gas place for about 5 bucks a gallon last time I checked. Wear gloves with the methanol.

red bottle HEET is Iso...

yellow bottle HEET is methanol

I get this for a buck at the Dollar Tree 1/2 gallon.

PART_1547466274970.jpg

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by boom10ful
It'll work, but I'd be concerned about it drying out anything made of rubber.

Drying out? Regular windshield washer fluid uses methyl alcohol, it is functionally the same.

Regular windshield washer is methanol. Isoproply can damage the paint. Also you'd have to check the chemistry charts to see how much of mix of isopropyl you'll need for the freezing point protection that you're looking for. For instance, according to the chart below, you'd need a 70% mix in order to achieve -20F protection. If you're just buying 91%, your mix is going to cost a lot more than the store windshield washer fluid. The -20F stuff is probably a little over 30% methanol.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ispropanol-water-d_988.html

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/methanol-water-d_987.html

It's only harmful when used straight concentration and on freshly painted surfaces.
On fully cured paint and diluted with water which is the case, it's harmless.

I looked it up prior to making my own fluid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back