Isopropyl alcohol with windshield washer fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to give 303 windshield washer tablet a try but it isn't good for winter use . Is there a ratio chart for isopropyl alcohol and freezing point? I'm probably going to get 99% say frys electronics.

Why don't you save the tablet for around May and buy a jug of winter washer fluid? Or do you really want to pay Nasa pricing for a stupid windshield washer fluid concoction?

I am actually curious myself about the rubbing alcohol in the container as it is something my parents did in their '19 Pilot during an xmas trip from Texas to Minnesota and my mom commented on the potent smell of the rubbing alcohol when they washed the windscreen, but it apparently worked. Wish I had known the trick before I did the below.

I took the trip from Georgia to Minnesota and my mediocre MB dealership neither had the Winterfit concentrate and my service advisor told me they only stock in service what is appropriate for the climate in Atlanta. Ended up draining the massive washer tank via thoroughly washing the windshield in a back corner of a gas station parking lot and refilling with the -30 degree stuff you can pick up only in northern states, that was a chore as the MB tanks hold well over a gallon of fluid and the washer pump automatically stops after like 10 seconds.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Ended up draining the massive washer tank ..................that was a chore as the MB tanks hold well over a gallon of fluid and the washer pump automatically stops after like 10 seconds.

WHY???
confused2.gif

How silly - - all you had to do was add a pint (16 ox bottle) of 91% ISOP from Walgreens/CVS/ wherever

for only about 80 cents......
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by pezzy669
Ended up draining the massive washer tank ..................that was a chore as the MB tanks hold well over a gallon of fluid and the washer pump automatically stops after like 10 seconds.

WHY???
confused2.gif

How silly - - all you had to do was add a pint (16 ox bottle) of 91% ISOP from Walgreens/CVS/ wherever

for only about 80 cents......
smirk2.gif

I was told about the rubbing alcohol concoction after the fact, even my stepfather who never admits fault to anything admitted he just learned of it at a truck stop during their drive up from Texas. I followed his earlier advice of draining the tank and filling with the northern fluid so that is my defense.
smile.gif

I've been using isopropyl alcohol in winter time for several years. I add about 3-4 oz to the blue washer fluid in the washer reservoir to give it a boost if I know the temps will be in the lower 20s or lower. Haven't had problems so far.

I make my own washer fluid because I need it here with all the de-icing solution they use that is stickier than honey on the windshield at times. You can use this as reference.

My Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid:

2 cups isopropyl alcohol 99% (or more if you can't find 99% Iso-Alcohol and then just adjust water below) Or less if you don't live where cold temperatures is a concern.
1 cup white vinegar
3 quarts water
2 Tbsp liquid dish soap (Dawn seems to work best)
5-10 drops blue food coloring

Last edited:
I've only seen 70% and 90% isopropyl for sale.

A chemist friend of mine looked up 100% and it's expensive and only shipped in large quantities for industry.

A mix of isopropyl alcohol and water has to be very strong to handle 0F. Even more so in the wind. The typical winter washer fluid available in cold climates is a far cheaper option.

I had this thought as well and picked up some cheap 71% as an add for the weak fluid that I had in the '12 Accord.
It really didn't work as well as I thought it would in that the washer nozzles would still freeze in really cold weather, although this isn't exactly Quebec when it comes to real cold.
A real winter fluid does work very well.

I use IPA to light my komado grill. Only ever saw 70% and 91 % in the common stores around me.

HEET is 99% isopropanol....or isopropyl alcohol. You can also buy methanol at a race gas place for about 5 bucks a gallon last time I checked. Wear gloves with the methanol.

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
I just use the Rain-X -45 All season wiper fluid. It seems to work on that nasty de-icing spray.

The Yellow stuff? That's what I use to use prior to them using the de-icing spray. They spray a lot of it here because of the Sky-Way bridge that is so high in the air and I have to pass over it twice daily.

For everyone else I get my 99% from a friend who's daughter is a Pharmacist, they can order it in from their suppliers.

Last edited:
I read that the rain x products messes up washer fluid sensors.

Prestone AS658 Deluxe 3-in-1 Windshield Washer Fluid, 1 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019W8CNBO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yn.oCb1YA4VXE

This product was listed as next best thing if for winter use.
I rather get the nextzett anti frost windshield washer fluid but that stuff is very expensive.

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/WO2010029344A2/imgf000023_0001.png

This is the only chart I found online, not sure if it is accurate or if only applicable to certain types of alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back