ISO VG gear oil questions

I'm fixing to do maintenance on my S680 combine and most of the final drives and gear cases call for GL-5 but two call for an ISO VG 460 gear oil. I've never had anything that used that kind of oil so I'm not familiar with it.

What conditions would be present that require that kind of oil??

How does it compare to GL-5?

Not going to try to sub for it, this is more for education for me. Thanks

The two don't compare. The GL-5 is an API automotive gear oil performance spec. The ISO VG 460 comes from ISO 3448 standard for viscosity classification of industrial fluids. The standard defines 20 viscosity grades as the nominal grade number +/- 10%. Industrial fluids covered mineral and synthetic based and includes hydraulic fluids, turbine and R&O oils, gear oil, etc. The automotive gear oil viscosities are defined by SAE J306.

I'm fixing to do maintenance on my S680 combine and most of the final drives and gear cases call for GL-5 but two call for an ISO VG 460 gear oil. I've never had anything that used that kind of oil so I'm not familiar with it.

See https://bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Thank you for that. So if it's just a different way to measure viscosity, the reason for the manufacturer calling for an ISO gear oil isn't for any particular performance issue?

Thank you for that. So if it's just a different way to measure viscosity, the reason for the manufacturer calling for an ISO gear oil isn't for any particular performance issue?
Right, they want you to use something like this

which has a kinematic viscosity of 54 cSt at 100C.

worm gears

Back