Is VISTA SP2 out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see a smiley after your question, but since SP1 just came out a couple of weeks ago, I am guessing SP2 won't be out for at least 9-12 months.

Well, I installed all the updates including SP1 and everything went just fine without a single hiccup. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I wasn't going to get a VISTA machine, I was pretty set on getting an XP laptop, but XP is getting harder and harder to get.

I wanted a good deal and this laptop had everything I wanted for a good price. At this point I think I like it better than the Toshiba I got a few months ago with the Athlon and the 15.4" screen. We will see, time will tell.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

a few of us at my job have installed it without any issues.

and the rest......

Well, the few of us at work that have installed it are the few of us at work with Vista. Perhaps I was unclear in my original post.

Is XP getting harder to find because it's finally out of beta testing and ready for prime time? The though of using Vista is pretty scary. I friend tried to use my plotter with his lap top and we and the manufacturer could not get it. We had to load the files onto my XP lap top and print them from there. A Microsoft help guy said we should solve the problem by getting a new plotter. That was the end of that conversation. I think that Vista will have to be around before it’s ready for a lot of users. Some are lucky and don’t have much in the way of stuff to hook up, but the rest of us are out of luck, so far. I have actually loaded Ubuntu on one of my machines and the install went just fine. It also recognized my plotter, too. If this works out I may keep one XP machine around and switch my other boxes to Linux.

XP isn't available on computers sold in stores, at least not that I have seen. Apparently there are options when purchasing computers from the manufacturer's websites that give you an option to have XP installed instead of Vista. I believe there is a charge too...

How long did it take for Vista to install SP1?

My Toshiba laptop is taking close to five hours to install an update which I believe is SP1.

Five hours doesn't seem normal.

Originally Posted By: DmanWho
For whatever reason, SP1 is still not available to me, through Windows Update...

One possible reason for this could be if you're running Vista Ultimate with installed language packs that SP1 doesn't yet support. For that, you will have to wait for SP1 availability in those languages.

I've heard wait for SP1 could take up to 2 months or longer for some of the more obscure languages such as Estonian or Latvian.

Be patient.
cool.gif

2 hrs ? Mine took less than 5 minutes with broadband. If you downloaded the standalone then I guess that's right as it's about half a gig, while the Windows Update was about 60 Mbytes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back