Is Valvolineâ„¢ ZEREXâ„¢ G-05â„¢ Antifreeze / Coolant compatabile with the MercedW220?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Is Valvoline Zerex G-05 ok for use in the S class 2000-2006 Mercedes W220s? Valvoline website indicates it is but, I have not found any user testimonies. If it is ok, can it be mixed with the blue (pentosin) from the factory, or does it require a flush?

ZEREXâ„¢ G-05â„¢ is the automaker approved original chemistry used in newer Ford, Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz automotive and diesel engines. Its Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) chemistry combines the best of conventional and organic acid-based chemistry to provide the ultimate protection against rust and corrosion. ZEREX G-05 antifreeze/coolant uses the highest quality virgin ethylene glycol for freeze and boilover protection and a hybrid organic acid corrosion inhibitor package to protect your engines from liner pitting and corrosion.

page_0001.Png

Last edited:
G-05 is totally fine with your W220, Mercedes is back specing G-48 for all their cars now.

Last edited:
Even though it's back speced in my 2002 CLK430 to use G48, I'm still running G-05 in mine and draining and filling the radiator only every 3 years, always comes out spotless and I've had no cooling issues

Originally Posted by Building3
What exactly is G-48 coolant? Is it OAT or a Dex-Cool or something else. Are G-05 and G-48 compatible? Thanks.

G-48 is the new blue-colored Mercedes service coolant, it's also used by BMW/Mini. The main difference is the organic acid, it uses 2-EHA(hexanoic acid) versus G-05's sodium benzoate(benzoic acid). They are compatible.

Mercedes is now using G-40, which is the same as VW's G12++ coolant. I dunno if G-40 and G-48 can be mixed.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Building3
What exactly is G-48 coolant? Is it OAT or a Dex-Cool or something else. Are G-05 and G-48 compatible? Thanks.

G-48 is the new blue-colored Mercedes service coolant, it's also used by BMW/Mini. The main difference is the organic acid, it uses 2-EHA(hexanoic acid) versus G-05's sodium benzoate(benzoic acid). They are compatible.

Mercedes is now using G-40, which is the same as VW's G12++ coolant. I dunno if G-40 and G-48 can be mixed.

Do you have any clue if G40 uses 2-eha?

Valvoline info for Zerex G48 says it's a HOAT. The word "Hybrid" is even spelled out. Check the links I posted earlier. PI sheet from previously posted link shows 250 ppm Si typical.

Zerex G40 is a Si-OAT per Valvoline. No amines per the PI sheet, and 200 ppm Si typical.

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/heavy-duty/zerex-g-40

FWIW I don't see 2-EHA on the English SDS. I do see Ethanediol listed.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I'm finding conflicting answers online on wether VW's G-XX coolants have 2-Eha or not.

Some sources say they do, others say that they do not.

I've Emailed Glysantin to see if they can provide me with an answer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nyogtha
The SDS for Zerex G48 does show sodium 2-ethyl hexanoate as well as ethanediol.

I can see both G40 and G48 contain Ethanediol and Benzoate, but i can't see 2-Eha mentioned anywhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back