Engine Ice / Propylene Glycol vs regular Ethylene Glycol based coolant

On my dirt bike I've been running Engine Ice, but never really thought about why. I do slow speed, technical riding that involves lots of clutch work and little airflow so keeping my bike as cool as possible is the priority, with boilover protection a close second priority.

Recently I learned there were two types of antifreeze - Ethylene glycol, which is used in the vast majority of coolants (green, dexcool, G-05, etc, etc) and propylene glycol, which is used by Engine Ice, and also Peak Sierra coolant.

On the Engine Ice bottle, they make several claims, saying it will have better operating temps than their competitors, which was enough to convince me to run it. Looking at the fine print, they say it outperforms their competitors, and lists Evans and Maxima. Since Evans is waterless I would assume it performs the worst, but I think the Maxima coolant is a regular EG coolant?

However, doing a bit of research, it seems like PG coolants run hotter than EG coolant, and the main advantage they offer is being non-toxic, and are not slippery (great for track). I don't ride on paved tracks, and don't really need a non-toxic coolant.

So how, exactly, does a PG coolant such as Engine Ice, outperform a regular EG coolant? If Engine Ice does in fact outperform EG coolants, why not run Peak Sierra which is also a PG coolant? Or am I wasting my money on a snake oil product and should I just run a normal EG coolant?
MotorTrend has a good write-up about this topic, it would be worth a read. They tested four different coolant additives and found they all worked but slightly different.

I don’t know about Engine Ice - it’s a Recochem product. PG-based coolants were introduced as a “safer” alternative to EG coolants but failed to get market acceptance. The Peak Sierra and Prestone Low-Tox formulas are silicated like old school green. Now, if OWI and KIK made an PG pHOAT, they can push a glycerin/PG-based Peak 10X or Prestone Cor-Guard Low-Tox as a “safer” coolant. I’m assuming Engine Ice is a OAT non-2EH formula to keep Japanese bikes happy.

However, VW’s latest G13 coolant is a glycerin/EG base using OAT inhibitors. Cummins Fleetgard has their ES Compleat in PG and EG formulations. I think Recochem is pushing the “safer” aspect - water-cooled dirt bikes and ATVs/snowmobiles are run off-road and ethylene glycol is a very tasty poison - some animals cannot taste Bitrex which is added to coolants(it was a requirement of CA/OR law but the CPSC adopted it nationwide). Less risk of wildlife and pet poisoning.

Are we talking a water cooled trials bike? If water cooled, isn’t there a radiator, thermostat, and a fan?
OP has stated it doesn’t have a thermostat, probably doesn’t have a fan.

I’m guessing it’s not a trials bike.

you can add a fan if the bike has a battery or other good 12v source, idk if it would work to run a fan directly from the generator coils

Back