Is used anti-freeze OK for septic system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I read here some time ago that used anti-freeze can be good for a home septic system. The reason is that it grows bacteria after a while and this may be beneficial to the system. Do any of you know of this? thanks

Last edited:
DO NOT PUT AF IN THE SEPTIC SYSTEM! Ingredients like phosphates can damage the drain field bed causing it to 'grow' too much biomat. This could cause incredibly costly problems down the road. Don't take the chance.

What you heard was for city sewers. They like it, but the chemistry that makes them tick is different.

I checked with my city recycling center and they said to pour it down the toilet. I don't believe it would be legal to pout it into the storm sewer system, but apparently it is OK in the municipal sewage treatment system. I don't know about home septic systems.

No one within 20miles of me takes it. I was told to pour it down a city drain but not septic system.

there is one place but they are open 8 hours a week.. during times im at work...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
No one within 20miles of me takes it. I was told to pour it down a city drain but not septic system.

Yea..obviously not storm sewers or septic systems. But most Municipal waste systems (home drains/toilets) are fine.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
I checked with my city recycling center and they said to pour it down the toilet. I don't believe it would be legal to pout it into the storm sewer system, but apparently it is OK in the municipal sewage treatment system. I don't know about home septic systems.
This is true.

Originally Posted By: Al
Yea..obviously not storm sewers or septic systems. But most Municipal waste systems (home drains/toilets) are fine.

Good to know. I had a couple bottles of old coolant banging around in my trunk for most of a year because I wasn't sure what to do with them.

One would think that most shops capable of cooling system service would be equipped to dispose of it as well.

I think if you are going to be changing your own coolant you need to be responsible with the used stuff and be sure that it ends up in a proper recycling center, not just toss it in the trash. Not sure about dumping it into a municipal sewer line...those sewers do eventually dump into rivers/lakes after going through a treatment plant. Kinda surprised a city would give the ok on this but if they do then I guess your 'safe' to do so.

I definetly wouldn't put used coolant into my private septic system though.

The ethylene glycol (C2H6O2) in antifreeze is food for the bacteria in a typical municipal treatment system. They break it down to carbon dioxide and water.

The only issue is the small concentrations of metals (aluminum, copper, lead, etc.) that the used antifreeze has picked up.

Keep it away from the animals and you should be ok. Antifreeze isn't the "tree killer or environment destroyer" some tree huggers make it out to be. lol.

Automotive antifreeze should not be placed in your septic system.

Depending on the quantities involved, it may very well kill off the desirable organisms in your septic system.

Used automotive antifreeze also contains additives for corrosion protection and other purposes, along with metals from the cooling system which can contain lead, among other metals. These are not things I'd prefer to add to the soil around my home by choice.

RV antifreeze is fine. It does not contain the same additives as automotive antifreeze that cause many of the issues.

I personally wouldn't dump it down my septic system.....Kind of strange that advanced auto parts will not take it.....

Perhaps take it to a buddies place who has public sewer and let him flush it down his toilet/sink....

Our county has a drop-in location that will dispose of it, Central Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Facility - actually 2 locations in the whole county....that will take it....don't know if they "recycle it" (hold it for pick up by a chemical recycling company) or just "dispose" of it (down the toilet and to the water treatment plant).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back