Is USAA selling my information, including my car VINs and personal email address?

It flags the patrol officer almost immediately whenever it picks-up a vehicle from either direction tied to a wanted individual, a stolen vehicle (or plates), expired registration (or insurance), amber alert, etc.
I distinctly remember when a local, nearby city "bought" 2-3 license plate readers and they publicly stated they were for (1) reason - locating stolen vehicles. It didn't take long for that to, ummmm, expand.

I don't think they care. Ohio BMV says they don't sell our data but no entities know my license plate numbers, but that data is out there. Where did it come from ? Look at mrsilver's example above about the spelling mistake/typo on his vehicle registration that started showing up elsewhere. His state says they don't sell the data either.

They may not care, but the mayor or the city council might. And ultimately they are in charge of what the PD does.

It's easier for a state agency to get away with stuff like this because of the structure of government. A PD might have no more than 5 to 7 elected officials that they answer to, and all of these elected officials are in the same town or city.

A state agency, on the other hand, may not answer to any elected officials until you go through several layers of management, and those elected officials are either elected statewide OR in districts all over the state.

I have the same insurance company and have a specific email address just for them. I have never received any emails with that address except from them. I suspect license plate readers as well. Software is free and online (ALPR) and the cameras are easily purchased from online sellers. IMO, nothing to worry about. They bought the info from an aggregator and used it to "find" you.

For example, do a "white pages" search for your name and see what comes up.

Last edited:
I don't know how to find or when Ohio changed their policy with BMV selling our info but they do now:

Ohio BMV made $250 million over past decade selling personal information from driver, vehicle records to third parties
Data brokers, credit agencies, insurance and towing companies along with private investigators were among those who purchased access...

Data brokers = once sold to them, they re-sell it endlessly after that....

Home

You know that info has been available by law for many years now, right?

DMVs can choose to "strip" information they sell, but most don't. They just take the money and run.
Started out as a good idea, and like all good ideas, it got corrupted.

The National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) is an electronic system
that contains information on certain automobiles titled in the United States. NMVTIS is
intended to serve as a reliable source of title and brand history for automobiles, but it
does not contain detailed information regarding a vehicle’s repair history.
All states, insurance companies, and junk and salvage yards are required by federal law to
regularly report information to NMVTIS. However, NMVTIS does not contain
information on all motor vehicles in the United States because some states are not yet
providing their vehicle data to the system. Currently, the data provided to NMVTIS by
states is provided in a variety of time frames; while some states report and update
NMVTIS data in “real-time” (as title transactions occur), other states send updates less
frequently, such as once every 24 hours or within a period of days.

Information on previous, significant vehicle damage may not be included in the system if
the vehicle was never determined by an insurance company (or other appropriate entity)
to be a “total loss” or branded by a state titling agency. Conversely, an insurance carrier
may be required to report a “total loss” even if the vehicle’s titling-state has not
determined the vehicle to be “salvage” or “junk.”
A vehicle history report is NOT a substitute for an independent vehicle inspection.
Before making a decision to purchase a vehicle, consumers are strongly encouraged to
also obtain an independent vehicle inspection to ensure the vehicle does not have
hidden damage. The Approved NMVTIS Data Providers (look for the NMVTIS logo)
can include vehicle condition data from sources other than NMVTIS.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GON
Yes, your insurance company and the dealer are selling your info. It also ends up getting resold to telemarketing dirt bags. DMV and PPT records are also trolled.

Back