Is USAA selling my information, including my car VINs and personal email address?

The one that I'm somewhat familiar with, the database is hosted online and the reader is sending everything it scans along with location back to that server. Whether that server stores that information or not is unknown. I suspect that it does. I suspect that the company that runs that service has the ability to look up every license plate ever scanned by their system and see when and where it was scanned.

Ya I don't know why they would retain the plate information for 'no-hits' because it's of no use to them. There's nothing they can do with it because it's just a plate rather than make/model.

Ya I don't know why they would retain the plate information for 'no-hits' because it's of no use to them. There's nothing they can do with it because it's just a plate rather than make/model.

Maybe for later use in case that plate does eventually end up on the list, gives them a place to start looking for it. And maybe information about what plates are located where is worth something and they can sell it?

I promise you the plates go in a data base there are private cameras everywhere, off ramps, subdivisions parking lots, just start looking for them. It's not just law enforcement and repo companies using them.

The Illinois Secretary of State's office had a 'keyboarding error' on one of my titles, spelling my last name in a way to make it unpronounceable.

So... what would you think when you start getting mail with that same "unique" misspelling?
That certainly appears to be some correlation.

I hope you don’t take my question as accusatory, was genuinely curious if you had a source other than anecdotal experience/thoughts. 🍻

That certainly appears to be some correlation.

I hope you don’t take my question as accusatory, was genuinely curious if you had a source other than anecdotal experience/thoughts. 🍻

No harm, no foul.... no offense taken. I've been around here long enough (16+ years, LOL) to know that someone would very likely follow up on a statement like that.

I understand that, but police departments, being as secretive as they tend to be, likely have contractual requirements with these companies that any information sent to them is to be kept confidential.
My understanding is that in Las Vegas, companies provide the licence plate readers to the police free of charge. These readers identify stolen cars, registered owners with outstanding warrants, expired tags, etc. in near real time to the patrol officer. In return the companies get to keep all the data from the scanners to do as they please.
The good part of this for me is that my daughter's Acura that was stolen twice was located both times within a couple of days and she got it back unmolested. The bad is that if you are driving a car that the registered co-owner didn't show for jury duty you will be pulled over on a pretext and grilled.

My understanding is that in Las Vegas, companies provide the licence plate readers to the police free of charge. These readers identify stolen cars, registered owners with outstanding warrants, expired tags, etc. in near real time to the patrol officer. In return the companies get to keep all the data from the scanners to do as they please.

They probably have them installed on quite a few police cars then?

The good part of this for me is that my daughter's Acura that was stolen twice was located both times within a couple of days and she got it back unmolested. The bad is that if you are driving a car that the registered co-owner didn't show for jury duty you will be pulled over on a pretext and grilled.

Do you have a link?

They probably have them installed on quite a few police cars then?
Where I live they have them in almost every patrol vehicle. It flags the patrol officer almost immediately whenever it picks-up a vehicle from either direction tied to a wanted individual, a stolen vehicle (or plates), expired registration (or insurance), amber alert, etc. This is one of the biggest reasons for why all the savvy street-smart criminals use forged temporary paper tags.

Do you have a link?
Not sure how to post a link, but if you Google "Las Vegas Metro ALPR" an August KNPR ch 3 article shows up. Looks like my info on free company funded readers is dated. Apparently the program was so successful it has greatly expanded. They have the readers on a large number of fixed cameras and, I believe, in most patrol vehicles. Looks like the data is no longer shared with private data bases, but I'm not sure of that.

"private vendors like Vigilant Solutions capture plate data with mobile ALPRs and then sell that data to police agencies and others"

Where I live they have them in almost every patrol vehicle. It flags the patrol officer almost immediately whenever it picks-up a vehicle from either direction tied to a wanted individual, a stolen vehicle (or plates), expired registration (or insurance), amber alert, etc. This is one of the biggest reasons for why all the savvy street-smart criminals use forged temporary paper tags.

They're not common here. I think I've seen maybe one police car with ALPRs on it in the last year or so. I think most of the ALPRs around here are operated by towing companies.

I understand that, but police departments, being as secretive as they tend to be, likely have contractual requirements with these companies that any information sent to them is to be kept confidential.
No, the police department can send just the information they want to send out. I'll bet those data companies offer more money for more data though and a police department can just say "eh, not our problem" and make more money.

No, the police department can send just the information they want to send out. I'll bet those data companies offer more money for more data though and a police department can just say "eh, not our problem" and make more money.

Sure, and when it gets out that the local PD is selling data for money, it'll look real good on the news...

(We call that an idea that "fails the headline test".)

Our Privacy Promise to You

By choosing USAA, you have expressed confidence in our ability to serve you. We take this responsibility seriously and we diligently safeguard your personal information.

• We don't sell your information. We share information outside of USAA only as permitted by law for our everyday business purposes.
  • Your information is confidential. Our employees and the companies we contract with are obligated to hold member information in the strictest confidence.
  • We protect your information. We have physical security on site, rigorous security procedures and virus and intrusion detection software.
  • Call 800-531-7154 — our menu will prompt you through your choices.

The Acura is not, and has never been registered to Washington. I do comprehend that enough information in the cloud may have outputted that information, but it did not whatsoever come from the vehicle registration, nor my driver license.

Don’t worry. Jay will be contacting you very soon. He wants your $$$.

• Haha
Reactions: GON
Sure, and when it gets out that the local PD is selling data for money, it'll look real good on the news...
I don't think they care. Ohio BMV says they don't sell our data but no entities know my license plate numbers, but that data is out there. Where did it come from ? Look at mrsilver's example above about the spelling mistake/typo on his vehicle registration that started showing up elsewhere. His state says they don't sell the data either.

Back