Is Toyota Genuine Motor Oil TGMO 0W-20 fully synth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody!

I'm new here and hope I'm posting in right section.

My question for experts:
is Toyota Genuine Motor Oil TGMO 0W-20 fully synthetic?

This question came up after conversation with service advisor at Toyota dealership. I wanted to put synthetic oil in my car and he suggested putting Shell and not TGMO since it was blend (his words).

I'm trying to find right answer for myself: am I OK with putting generic TGMO in my car or I'm better off with Amsoil or Mobil1 or something else...

Thanks in advance!!!

Don't get caught up in the "synthetic" hype. There is a lot more to oil than just being grp IV or V. What king of vehicle do you have? are you racing it? I doubt you are, TGMO is fine if it is recommended (very good cold flow properties) and it is not technically a synthetic. M1 0w20 is an excellent oil as well.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Yes it is a synthetic, and yes its an excellent oil. I use it in my 2006 Accord.

+1. I have a 5L jug in my hand that I paid $25 for. Full synthetic TGMO 0w20.

With a Viscosity Index over 200 it's about as full a synthetic as you'll find. Unless you hated Mobil or were a big Shell fan I would see that as a downgrade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Don't get caught up in the "synthetic" hype. There is a lot more to oil than just being grp IV or V. What king of vehicle do you have? are you racing it? I doubt you are, TGMO is fine if it is recommended (very good cold flow properties) and it is not technically a synthetic. M1 0w20 is an excellent oil as well.

Do you mean because it has some group 3 content (and I'm only speculating, it may not) that it's not a full synthetic? I won't get into that (though I don't agree), only to say that the Shell "full synthetic" would probably be a majority group 3 product as well.

Outside of Sustina, Red Line, G Oil, Nissan there aren't a ton of "synthetic" oils that have no group 3 oils, so it seems pointless to me to search for them these days.

There really is no need for group V synthetic oils these days anyway. Todays group II oils are good, and for those who want even more the group III oils are even better. I think you would be hard pressed to find a car that actually NEEDED a group V synthetic. The base oil is only ONE factor in determining what you want from an oil. I choose to run TGMO 0w20 for the high VI as it aids in the frequent start up and short trip driving my car sees on a daily basis. It has a good amount of moly as well, and this is the quietest oil yet in my cars engine.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Welcome to BITOG.

The answer probably depends on one's definition of 'synthetic'.

Nothing wrong with TGMO...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3065281/1

Thanks everybody for replies!
Thanks Quattro Pete for great link which led me to another links...

That's why I'm here - for information!
I have 2010 Corolla since new and just bought 2010 RAV4 (used) for wife. Because I was told that TGMO is not full synthetic I got Amsoil 0W20 that lasted me almost 4 years for Corolla
smile.gif
Now I have two cars and my stash of Amsoil is drying. So need to decide what route to take.

And looks like there is nothing wrong with TGMO and it's cheaper on this side of the border than M1. Plus I have small discount at Toyota dealership in parts department
wink.gif

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: bepperb
With a Viscosity Index over 200 it's about as full a synthetic as you'll find. Unless you hated Mobil or were a big Shell fan I would see that as a downgrade.

What are you talking about? I clearly stated it isn't "technically a synthetic" Grp IV or V and for the OP to not get caught up in the "true syn" thing. TGMO is not a "true syn" it is a respectable oil and bepperb, I know you have been on here long enough to know that just because it has an outrageously high VI, it doesnt make it "true syn". Look at the VI for most of the higher tier oils like M1 EP. M1 EP has a lower VI than M1 but I would surmise it has a higher PAO content.

You guys will defend TGMO like your mom makes it. Chill out and read my post before bashing.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
What are you talking about? I clearly stated it isn't "technically a synthetic" Grp IV or V and for the OP to not get caught up in the "true syn" thing. TGMO is not a "true syn" it is a respectable oil and bepperb, I know you have been on here long enough to know that just because it has an outrageously high VI, it doesnt make it "true syn". Look at the VI for most of the higher tier oils like M1 EP. M1 EP has a lower VI than M1 but I would surmise it has a higher PAO content.

You guys will defend TGMO like your mom makes it. Chill out and read my post before bashing.

So, may I correct my question then:

which oil is better in my situation - two Toyotas, Southwestern Ontario, desire to keep cars as long as I can...
Should I go with TGMO or Amsoil Signature, both 0W-20? Pricewise apart.

Thanks!

Outside of Sustina, Red Line, G Oil, Nissan there aren't a ton of "synthetic" oils that have no group 3 oils, so it seems pointless to me to search for them these days.

Even here, it's pushing it. There's a good chance "something else" is used for solubility, and no one really believes that Nissan Ester oil is an ester based oil, much less a synthetic in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Goldenmeadow

This question came up after conversation with service advisor at Toyota dealership. I wanted to put synthetic oil in my car and he suggested putting Shell and not TGMO since it was blend (his words).

In the context of his comments, he's completely wrong; Toyota's synthetic is no more a "blend" than any Shell or XOM product. That said, I wouldn't worry about the nomenclature--it's great oil.

Originally Posted By: Goldenmeadow

By the way, considering you're in Canada, TGMO is available at a good price. The dealership probably has more markup per litre on any Shell product than the actual entire price of one litre of TGMO. That's why he's pushing the Shell product.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Even here, it's pushing it. There's a good chance "something else" is used for solubility, and no one really believes that Nissan Ester oil is an ester based oil, much less a synthetic in the first place.

Yes, and even though I think it is GREAT, high VI stuff (and personally use their 0W-20 in a mix in the winter), the Sustina is actually a Group 3+ as far as anyone can tell.
wink.gif

Absolutely. Take a look at the shelves and actually try to find a an SN/GF-5 lube (I'm emphasizing the ILSAC here) that is predominantly Group IV or Group V.

SOPUS didn't start GTL for PU out of boredom. I suspect the big guys keep the POA and ester content for where they really need them. Considering I'm picky about the synthetic definition, it does pain me to say it, but the need for high PAO or ester content in even an A1/B1 A5/B5 grade just isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back