Is this VW 508.00 a Mobil product?

At one point I was thinking that because of the packaging that Genuine VW 508.00 engine oil and Mobil1 ESP x2 508.00 may have bee the exact product. But according to these comparisons, it looks like they are different. Still thinking Mobil may be the supplier, but a slightly different product.

The Mobil appears to be a little more robust.

At one point I was thinking that because of the packaging that Genuine VW 508.00 engine oil and Mobil1 ESP x2 508.00 may have bee the exact product. But according to these comparisons, it looks like they are different. Still thinking Mobil may be the supplier, but a slightly different product.

VW uses local suppliers for their OEM oil. As an example, they do use Lukoil as their OEM oil in Russia. Since the website you've quoted is German, their OEM oil might be different from the one we have in the US.
From what I know, Castrol LL used to be their OEM fill in EU for quite some time

VW uses local suppliers for their OEM oil. As an example, they do use Lukoil as their OEM oil in Russia. Since the website you've quoted is German, their OEM oil might be different from the one we have in the US.
From what I know, Castrol LL used to be their OEM fill in EU for quite some time
The oil is definitely different in Europe. The dealer 508/509 is made in Austria and comes in the same slender 1L bottles as my AirGO 3001.

The testing was done when Castrol was the supplier of the VW branded oil.

The testing was done when Castrol was the supplier of the VW branded oil.
Makes sense now. This was probably the container when Castrol supplied:

img_0079_e26c21c7908ab3be25ddcbf12933007bc7fe8e92.jpg

And the Mobil supplied:

6f7431728e343359fc365fbe7be88157.png

I put the above "Mobil 1" that I got from ESC for the first oil change in our Audi 2.0 that calls for 508. I used a Mityvac which drew out 6 qts only because that is what the dealer does. I'm not able to get under a car anymore and that was an easy way to do it. Car had less than 5K and will get the dealer change next at 10K. With the Covid going on we drive much less and haven't hit 6K yet, but I plan on doing changes every 5K every how long it might be between. For some reason I initially ordered 10 qts from ESC and now have 4 left over. Haven't been to dealer but assume they sell it by the quart so will pick up two more one of these days.

I used a Mahle filter and have a Hengst on hand. Anyone have any reservations about using Hengst?

I put the above "Mobil 1" that I got from ESC for the first oil change in our Audi 2.0 that calls for 508. I used a Mityvac which drew out 6 qts only because that is what the dealer does. I'm not able to get under a car anymore and that was an easy way to do it. Car had less than 5K and will get the dealer change next at 10K. With the Covid going on we drive much less and haven't hit 6K yet, but I plan on doing changes every 5K every how long it might be between. For some reason I initially ordered 10 qts from ESC and now have 4 left over. Haven't been to dealer but assume they sell it by the quart so will pick up two more one of these days.

I used a Mahle filter and have a Hengst on hand. Anyone have any reservations about using Hengst?
Hengst is top quality. I use them or Mann as a rule

Since getting a new Tiguan that requires 508.00, I've been discovering a bit about the OE 0W-20 oil. It does appear to be an E/M product along the lines of the ESP x2, however, seems to be sourced from the Texas refining branch for logistical and cost reasons in NAR. This may account for small differences vs. the Euro counterpart. I won't be changing my opinion or debating the use in a "standard" EA888 Gen 3, would still use a 502.00, but thats me. The Budack in the Tig is a different animal though, with low tension rings, special valvetrain gear for the B-cycle, oil pump etc., and needs/benefits from the lower visc FE oil designed for it (or the other way around).

I sourced some in bulk from my dealer for $6 a qt. Also bought a couple change kits (6qts. oil, VW/Mann filter, drainplug) from ShopDAP at $54 retail, but with discount code was $50 shipped to my door.

Before Exxon Mobil it was BP Castrol
Things may be different in Europe.

Back