is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
true or false?....

"Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages. This has also been substantiated in testing conducted by Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and reported in SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil changers are actually causing more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it."

Somewhat. There is a post that shows wear metals set in early during an OCI and move only slightly up. Also, most engines do deposit metals and silicon when new from breaking in. Many engines aren't truly broken in until 50k, others even longer. An carefully read oil analysis is key to find out.

Contrary to common perception, changing oil more often than recommended has been shown to increase engine wear. An ongoing University of Michigan study has shown that the greatest wear occurs in the first 3000km of an oil’s life in any engine!

A similar comment on this site
http://www.swri.edu/3pubs/IRD1999/03912699.htm
Testing with partially stressed oil, which contained some wear debris, produced less wear than testing with clean oil

things like pre-filling the filter, total miles on the engine, operating conditions (for example, are those who change the oil more often the ones to push their cars harder, thereby creating more wear?) tempatures with seasonal change, traffic pattern changes with seasons, etc., can all effect the results.

I find it very, very hard to believe that clean oil causes more wear than dirty oil would. I'll need a lot more evidence before buying this.

Following these theories, you should be collecting used oil from Jiffy Lube with 3k miles on it and using that in your car. Would you do that over new oil?

With my wife's previous 6 cyl Explorer I used Schaeffer's 5W-30 Blend for 4,100 miles and then used it the very next OCI for 8,200 miles. Same driving conditions and climate variations for both OCI's. The wear metal numbers were almost identical for the 4,100 mile and 8,200 mile OCI's.

Whimsey

Whimsey: your experience seems to confirm the Consumer Reports oil tests that were published in 1996. They found that 6,000 mile changes were fine and the tests also suggested that the oils then were good for at least 7,500 miles. Today's oils are likely even better and I believe would give good results for about 10,000 miles. Springs.

From everything I've read at this forum, it seems to indicate that a good oil (name brand) in the weight suggested in your manual and changed according to the manual, will almost always be bullet proof. The difference comes in if you are looking for extended drains or drive mostly in severe conditions. That aside, just go by the OLM or recommendations in the manual. If you really want to do something a little extra, just add LC20 and sleep well at night.

martyi, your right. Most of this wear metal nit picking is just a waste of time I'm sorry to say. The engineers who design and make these cars do know best.

Springs: No Way: When Consumer reports tested
oils didn't they use taxi cabs that were run
constantly and never shut off ?? They never have to put up with warming up or cold starting
and condensation caused during warming up.
I change my oil more often than recommended and
it keeps a nice clean engine. No need for
Auto RX and the like to remove sludge.

A clean motor is a happy motor

In fleet service, a couple of years ago we looked at the idea of changing the oil too often. We took a couple of cars on 5k intervals and chanded them at 2.5k with the filter. The uoa's on these cars showed higer wear metals with more frequent changes, but I don't beleive more wear metals in a uoa equals more wear. At 50k miles both cars passed California smog, just like the others and as they grew older the wear metals decreased. I beleive it may have been something as simple as washing more iron into the oil and that iron is not a great idicator of actual wear unless it's way up there or if there is a sudden change. But you need many uoa's to spot most changes. Near the 50k they all, short change and normal change vehicle uoa's looked very similar. We did this test because some of these vehicles live in terrible weather and we wanted to know if more changes made for better maintenance. The answer is the more frequent changes don't hurt, but they may not help, either. It is very hard to read one uoa. It gets easyer with more uoa's. I would say, that if you sleep in the garage with your car, wash it every week then it's ok to change the oil too often.

could it be that the new oil is removing and "Absorbing" the REMAINS of the previous oils and contaminates and thus appears dirty?
dunno.gif
rolleyes.gif
pat.gif
twak.gif
banghead.gif

That is why if you have the money and time to let it drain all the way out... which I have not done the lase several changes which equate to about 40K miles of my 79K ride
grin.gif
crushedcar.gif
no... just a need to do a light additive or possible flush in 30-40K or whenever...

fruit.gif
be happy that the oils of today are so much better than those of yesterday and therefore you don't have to truly worry as much.

I purchased my 1989 VW Jetta new and changed the oil in it every 2000-3000 miles, sometimes even more often. I drove it for 225,000 miles over 11 years. I sold it to a friend who is still driving it at now over 260,000 miles. It's never burned a drop of oil, never had an oil related problem or even any engine related mechanical problems. I used 20w-50, typically Valvoline AC or a store-brand Valvoline dino.

So in my real-world experience, while test run on engines in controlled environments or engines that never get shut off may produce less wear as oils age, i think that wear as measured in test alone is not the only issue. Deposits, sludge, dilution, and keeping the oil level at spec are all important. Perhaps a lab can show me that leaving my oil in longer than 3,000 miles produces no "more" wear on that specific UOA, but i dont accept that changing my oil earlier will somehow harm the engine.

I wonder if the oils ability to absorb and keep contaminants suspended was measured? Doesnt it make sense that as the oil ages, it gets "full" and thus no more wear can be measured past a certain point? Clean oil likely "absorbs" the most crud from your engine, which is why a sludged up engine can benefit from multiple rapid oil changes done at 500 or 1000 mile intervals until the engine cleans up.

I've seen and read of lots of folks sending their engines to an early grave by not changing their oil. I've never heard or seen an engine that was sent to an early grave by too frequent oil changes.

I kind of like hominid7's logic. I will go up to 5,000 miles, but, I get a little nervous after that point.

"Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages. This has also been substantiated in testing conducted by Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and reported in SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil changers are actually causing more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it."

Too slick sent me the whole SAE report and I will say it is interesting BUT it is dated and I would with hold an opinion till more data comes out and more peer review is done.

bruce

Well I drove a 1985 Chevy Caprice 305 4bbl for 6 years and 252k on 25k or one year oci. Only DID filter with oil oci!.Amsoil 10w30 full syn..Timing chain PLASTIC gear failed at 225k.Sold the VERY clean auto(AND NO SLUDGE) and STILL see it every now and then going down the road.Used a qt of oil every 4k. It got 100 miles a day comute 5 days a week ,week end week out.

I wonder if the oil loses it's ability to keep deposits/dirt etc in suspension as the oil ages, therefore the UOA's will sometimes appear cleaner then they really are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back