Is this offer a scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naturally, I bought my (best friend's) Volvo last week. Sometime in the past few days and seen yesterday in the mail as I work, I receive a mailing from a Toyota dealership. They are advertising a Nationwide Unclaimed Vehicle Event, 6 days only. Today is Day 6. It says to match three symbols and I am a guaranteed winner; mailing contains a key. Now, my three symbols match. So! Is it like this for every mailing? Or, if you were me, would you go and see if you win anything from a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, $500 Target gift card, or nothing at all?

I am debating whether to go or if this is a scam. Sullivan Toyota (local place) mailed it. This is that picture. On the right is the dealer info, the blank actual key, and the mailing is actually a pamphlet-like advertisement.. TIA

Ad says: "This could be your key to a 2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab!"
Fine print says: *See dealer for details. Official rules: No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. You must be present to win. Winner/Addressee must show valid state I.D. and be a U.S. citizen. Dealer and/or event coordinator not responsible for lost, late or misdirected prize piece or typographical errors. Mail house/participating dealership employees are ineligible to participate. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded. (etc etc) Prize #3 is a Target gift card in various amounts up to $500, Prize #4 1:69 while supplies last. Bring your confirmation code to the event headquarters to claim your prize.

?

prize_zps305a7fc0.jpg

I receive these about 2-3 times per year. I'll stop by the dealership if I'm in the area. My guaranteed prize has always been the $5 cash and/or gift card. I can always use that towards my next oil deal.
cool.gif

I've gotten things like that in the mail... I don't think I've ever "lost"! Like JavierG said, they'll probably give you a small prize. It's mostly a ploy to get you into the dealership.

I got one of those earlier this summer from a dealer on my way home from work. I stopped in, got my $5 gift card, and was on my merry way again.

The dealer in my area sends out keys that could start a new car and if it does, you keep the car. These keys are the cheapest stamped aluminum keys (with some molded plastic on them) that I have ever seen and I'm sure they wouldn't fit any new car on the market.
My time is more valuable than to go in and be told that they are so sorry that I'm not a winner.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Cool.

Did anyone ever have to provide any of their personal information? If not.. I *MAY* go.

Nope. Let us know what your prize is if you do go. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Cool.

Did anyone ever have to provide any of their personal information? If not.. I *MAY* go.

Nope. Let us know what your prize is if you do go. Good luck!

Well, this one.. They wrote down the address on my ID. Then they asked me a whoooole bunnch of questions, which I bullshitted my way through.

THEN I got the card, and a scratch-off.

Minimum: $5, max: $500! Hey, money is money. Free for me
laugh.gif

*P.S.: I really hope they throw away my piece of paper. I made it pretty clear to them that I was there ONLY for my gift card, and had NO interest in buying ANY car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse
The dealer in my area sends out keys that could start a new car and if it does, you keep the car. These keys are the cheapest stamped aluminum keys (with some molded plastic on them) that I have ever seen and I'm sure they wouldn't fit any new car on the market.
My time is more valuable than to go in and be told that they are so sorry that I'm not a winner.

I get those too. 99.9% of cars have transponder keys ... the cheap thing they send out in the mail doesn't look like it could open a door ... much less turn on a car.

I've wondered about those keys, and the prize car.

Surely they wouldn't send a real key in the mailer. It would be obvious, and somewhat expensive if lost. Does anyone here know?

My guess is that the dealer buys into a "nationwide" contest. The trivial prizes are awarded locally by the dealer, and you are actually entered into a collective drawing for a car. Tens of thousands of similar local promotions are grouped together and give away a single car sometime in 2016.

I always end up snapping the keys in half IDK Why LOL

No I have never done these.
I scratch em, if they were true

Subaru owes me 25,000$
Toyota owes me a Prius
and Ford is going to give me 20,000$ for my truck.

Ends up, Not so much, "That scratch means were entering you IN the Contest to get those things sir, not instant winners!"

so I come back with "Well, Why didnt you say it was a sweepstakes for XX amt or XX car, I dont see the point in scratching to enter a contest"

I wonder what they would say if I told them I didnt want them to have this address on a mailing list anymore.

I got my (probably $5) gift card out of them, in the 1 in 3,000 shot its $500 then SWEET! FOOD... Anyways, I wonder if they threw away my paper?

I was as disinterested as could be, showed NO interest in the car, *wow im typing "Sencored" just in case* them answers, and they STILL confirmed my name and matched it up to my address, thanks to MY ID. Im wondering if me not giving ANY interest in ANY sales pitch (one guy walks up as other walks away.. didnt take them to figure out there was NOTHING there.. didnt work) Made them just toss my paper, which they coudl tell i wasnt giving real answers anyway.

Whaddaya think?

However, at this stage of the game.. $5 is $5. But, in the future, Yeah, time may be more valuable and i probably wont have it.

They can call that fake number forever
They can try to enter my name and fake SS# (why did they need that?)
but the MAIL.. I wonder if they tossed that little "sheet" they woulda used if they felt i was looking to trade my car. Wth..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back