Why are you selling.........? Is this a new kind of scam?

Got a question.........sometimes on very high dollar or rare stuff, like real estate, vintage cars, or collectables it would be very appropriate for the buyer to want to ask why you are selling something. I get it, you are selling a very rare fully restored and collectable car, so the buyer is wondering what would make you want to part with such a car. Having an upfront understanding of this could help you to negotiate further, especially if you are truly interested.

However on just regular stuff like trimmers, lawnmowers, snowblowers, home and consumer electronics, etc that I am selling, I am noticing more and more people on CL and FB asking "May I ask why you are selling this?". Is this some kind of new scam that I am unaware of? Often these are legit people with legit area codes in their phone number, or their profiles appear legit. But in most cases I do not get a response back. In some cases I get an "Ok thanks anyways" reply. What are they looking to collect from me by replying to them? Why would they need to know the "why", and then not inquire further?

Or on another side, would my answer deter them from purchasing it?

People trying to find out ways to negotiate/bargain down more. If you're selling it because something is wrong or your "wife is making you sell it", they know there's more wiggle room.

Yeah, you should never really answer the question. In real estate if people ask that question, the standard answer I give is, owner doesn't need it anymore. Or if you want to be sharp about it, why does anyone sell? They need the money. You never give the real answer, it just allows the buyer to use that as leverage in negotiations so you should never give the real answer.

Basically they're just probing for a weakness, looking for a bargain, don't give it to them.

If the questions seem irrelevant and couldn't possibly matter to anyone, I just don't respond. If they're truly interested they'll ask substantive questions. It's a waste of time and in my experience it never leads anywhere.

It's smart to be cautious of scams. This is likely some automated response or a bot, given the low value or common-ness of the items mentioned (hedge trimmers, DVD players... etc.). It's a stupid question few humans would ask on a low-dollar common item, so it's smart to have your guard up.
Could be just a lazy button push, such as "is this still available?" Those market places can be annoying.

In general it's a dumb question b/c nobody is going to give an honest answer, such as "I'm being evicted and desperate for the money," or "Darn thing stops working after 30 minutes of use until it cools off...".

It's smart to be cautious of scams. This is likely some automated response or a bot, given the low value or common-ness of the items mentioned (hedge trimmers, DVD players... etc.). It's a stupid question few humans would ask on a low-dollar common item, so it's smart to have your guard up.
Could be just a lazy button push, such as "is this still available?" Those market places can be annoying.

In general it's a dumb question b/c nobody is going to give an honest answer, such as "I'm being evicted and desperate for the money," or "Darn thing stops working after 30 minutes of use until it cools off...".
Oh yeah or try to get rid of them with crazy answers like I need to bail out my husband for beating up a stranger who came to buy something.

What gets me are the people that ask "so what's wrong with it" or "what's it need". The pros and cons are in the listing, come check the thing out, bring an expert if you want.

Everybody wants the deal of the century. Asking questions like whats wrong with it?, usually follows with how much will you take for it?. Or how low will you go?. If they're not standing in front of me, I make up a number. Because you know if they were a serious buyer, they would be there looking in person. Or I ask them if they want to buy it right now, and the hemming and hawing starts. I never talk price of a vehicle if I'm not standing there ready to buy with cash in my hand. In case I don't like what I'm looking at. Or I don't like it in person.,,

What gets me are the people that ask "so what's wrong with it" or "what's it need". The pros and cons are in the listing, come check the thing out, bring an expert if you want.

Hah, I know this all too well. It's like the pictures and list of the problems are right on there! Or when you specify that the price is firm and their only message is some lowball offer. I never answer those...

Hah, I know this all too well. It's like the pictures and list of the problems are right on there! Or when you specify that the price is firm and their only message is some lowball offer. I never answer those...
Yep. There are some people in this world who don't care what the object/product is but if they can get a good deal on it, that's all that matters.

Tell them, because your buddy said it could worth a small fortune. One sentence is fine. They don't want to read a long story. As mentioned earlier there's an automated reply already filled out that has that question. A lot of times it can easily be clicked on by mistake esp if someone is looking at the ad on their phone.

I don't think there's anything nefarious going on with that question.. I imagine a lot of folks buying stuff private party have been burnt a time or two.

If I'm selling something private party, I usually list the reason for selling, because as a buyer it's something I'd want to know. Is there something wrong with it, did they just get bored of it, got a newer model, etc. Their response can clue me in on whether this is an honest seller, or someone just wanting to get rid of junk.

If the questions seem irrelevant and couldn't possibly matter to anyone, I just don't respond.
👆🏻

Exactly - don't respond. Sometimes I think "good manners" obligates people to respond but try selling stuff online and you'll quickly tire of being nice (I do have manners too).

Back