Is this normal for PU OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, long time lurker, new to the forum, but not automobiles.

I [USED] to be one of those 3mo./2-3,000 mile guys until I found BITOG. Because you put on a good argument, not any more. I changed the Windstar oil exactly 1,000 miles ago with PU 5w20 and a FL-400S. The oil today appears on the dipstick as it did when I poured it in.

I have 216,xxx miles on the clock and have had the valve covers off. I admit the 2mo./2K OCI's have kept it clean, but shouldn't the cleaning properties of the PU have cleaned something? Or am I just being impatient?

Hi,

Well if you did change your oil every 2-3k with half decent oil , there should be no reason for your engine to be dirty in first place!

PU is going to do its best but if there isnt much to clean, there isnt much to clean.

Here on BITOG , we believe there is no better way to clean an lower OCI and using good oil.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif
to the forum.

A little impatient, IMO. Run at least 5000 miles with the PU.

Last edited:
If it's really clean inside, then what would it clean out?

I've used PU in our T&C since we bought it at 20000 miles, changed it at 25k and 30k then went to 40k. On this current fill, we are about 2k miles in and the oil is very clean. Even on the 10k OCI, the oil never got to looking dirty, just darker than when it started.

Thanks for the quick reply's all!

I will follow advice and run it out to at least 5K. I guess there is some consolation in the fact that at least I am not trying to deal with a sludge problem here.

Originally Posted By: dave180
Thanks for the quick reply's all! I will follow advice and run it out to at least 5K. I guess there is some consolation in the fact that at least I am not trying to deal with a sludge problem here.

I did not see your driving style, but if it is mixed city/highway, PU can easily go 7,500 (usually much more). I would not run it for less than 7,500 if there are no issues with the vehicle so that you get some of your money's worth from it.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: dave180
Thanks for the quick reply's all! I will follow advice and run it out to at least 5K. I guess there is some consolation in the fact that at least I am not trying to deal with a sludge problem here.

I did not see your driving style, but if it is mixed city/highway, PU can easily go 7,500 (usually much more). I would not run it for less than 7,500 if there are no issues with the vehicle so that you get some of your money's worth from it.

I agree. Ultra is the best oil pennzoil makes. Unless you've got a serious engine issue I'd run it 7500 miles at the bare minimum.

No oil will clean in a 2,000 OCI. Give it time and patience, and recognize that if your engine is already clean, it is already clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back