Is this normal for 1MZ-FE crankshaft?

siennawise

My timing belt on my 98 Sienna broke at a slow driving speed under 15 mph and I've slowly been DIY with the help of Siennachat and YouTube videos being that it's a non interference engine also referred to as free wheeling, I'm not expecting any serious issues but if you look at my photo, the first photoand 3rd looks like the same situation, the lower teeth of the teeth of the crank sprocket don't appear geared with upper teeth the timing marks are there but it looks like the upper gear is missing, as you can see in a photo of the lower cover part of the belt was wound several times behind the lower cover and tore up the lower timing cover the balancer was not damaged, could it have been damaged like the crankshaft itself, when the belt broke, or is it possible I have a replaced after market block that it was already missing before the belt broke? Is this gear that's missing part of the block and I have to replace the block now, or is the crankshaft that needs to be replaced? Either way I'm screwed. I hope that's not the case. The last Second to last photo is what it should look like more photos on the original post on Toyotanation https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/is-this-normal-on-a-1mz-fe-crankshaft.1754399/
Screenshot_20230331-171803.jpg
timing-mark-ck-jpg.jpg
394a1ab0fdc8a2ed77a97208c8cb8d6e.jpg
Screenshot_20230331-171820.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to BITOG!

Like the others, I don't see the problem.

It looks to me like the crankshaft gear is correctly installed on the crankshaft (because the notch on the crankshaft end to accommodate the Woodruff key appears to be in the same position in all three photos), and the timing mark on the gear seems to line up fine with the mark on the block.

It looks to me like your crankshaft is at TDC.

Can you highlight the part of the assembly that you believe is missing?

You are fine, just retime the camshafts and crankshafts into top dead center, clean everything, and then reinstall a new timing kit.

Just line up the dot with the mark on the back cover.

If you’re that concerned pull the drive gear off the crankshaft and have a closer look.

Back