Is this a leaky rocker/valve cover gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HEres some pics of my car. Car seems to need a top up each month (which isn't too bad)

KJU4Gwf.jpg
qHPr2WZ.jpg
bErXQ8E.jpg
FpgAqOB.jpg

Would this be just the gasket?

Seeing the grit that has settled there indicates a very small leak. I doubt that is responsible for a small top off of oil.

So you've watched it leak for months, and only topped up the oil without doing any further investigation?

That begs the question why are you worried about it now? Wat was the reason for not repairing it when it occurred? And what has changed that you can't just live with it any longer?

Originally Posted By: Olas
So you've watched it leak for months, and only topped up the oil without doing any further investigation?

That begs the question why are you worried about it now? Wat was the reason for not repairing it when it occurred? And what has changed that you can't just live with it any longer?

A little top off is no reason to lose sleep over.Seems some will dump a lot of money into a vehicle because they have to put an occasional three bucks worth of oil in it. He sure isn't losing much because of the valve cover, probably some burning of oil in the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Valve cover gasket, that's a 2AZ-FE?

Yup. 2AZ-FE. about 130,000miles

Originally Posted By: Olas

Well in actual fact, although the oil has been visible there for months maybe even years, the dipstick never went near the "Add" Line. The oil usually gets changed before it gets to that point. (Except for this ONE time)

Considering this was at the dealer and another independent mechanic for servicing in the past 1.5 years and they didn't say a thing I guess it just never registered in my head that maybe I should look into whats causing that.

This doesn't look too bad, just seepage not a real leak.
If it doesn't leave drops on the ground don't worry about it.
I would just tighten the screws a little,not too much,and watch it.

I have a very similar engine and it was very easy to change out the gasket. I would not tighten the screws a little. The rubber gasket gets hard and not longer makes a good seal. Replace it or leave it be. Also, look for the timing chain tensioner around the back of the engine. Its O-ring is prone to leaking, too.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
This doesn't look too bad, just seepage not a real leak.
If it doesn't leave drops on the ground don't worry about it.
I would just tighten the screws a little,not too much,and watch it.

Tightening the screws will likely not help. If they are the typical Toyota screws with crushable washers, they will already be bottomed out and further tightening risks breaking off the bolts. The only way to fix it is to replace the gasket and the bolts/washers or find some washers that fit the bolt shanks to give more lift.

Yup, it's the gasket that's now cardboardbrittlehardasarock....I know from personal experience...change it when you change the plugs which were due for change @ 120k miles...the cover gasket will also include spark plug tube gasket rings...

I'll bet that your PCV valve (clogged) and hose (brittle ends) need changing too.

...and check the "dogbone" mount to the left of the timing change cover...look behind the plastic disc (if your's has one) for cracks in the rubber insert...I just took a look at my neighbor's who needed a new one too.

Last edited:
2AZ-FE VC gasket job typically takes about 10 mins (when engine is cold), or 15 mins (when engine is hot).

Get OE factory gasket and it will stay sealed for 8+ yrs or another easy 100k.

Lastly RE: t-chain tensioner, it uses a metal plate gasket, not o-ring.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back