Is there any practical benefit to letting a passenger car oil warm up before driving?

I try to let it idle maybe for a minute to get things flowing though sometimes it might be a little longer if I remote start and then start digging through my cigar collection to decide what I want to smoke. I try to drive easy until it is semi warmed up. My wife on the other hand, she will idle for as long as it will let it go. For my Legacy I think it is 10 minutes. For her Honda I think 15 minutes. I try to discourage but she won't listen. My Impreza is the one that might idle longer due to cigar searching. Sometimes it is because I am loading the car too for a gig.

My engine revs very high at cold start, maybe 1500-1800 rpm and then slowly settles down to 1000 rpm before warmup, usually does this about 30 seconds so I give it that much time before driving off. I try to keep below 2500 rpm if possible before the temperature gauge is in the middle.
Old mechanic I worked with who got me into the car restorations hobby in the 1980s told me something once when talking about warming an engine. He stated that what ever engine you had would be best served if we all had the patience to start it up and let the engine (choke system or ?go thru its minute or two cycle and then drop the RPMs before we mashed our foot and took off with it. That makes sense if folks ever watch how long it takes some motors to put oil into the top end.

Interesting topic, the suggestion to drive gently until the engine warms up sounds good, but what is best when you live next to a highway with posted speed limit of 65?, and some mornings the traffic is heavy enough that you have no choice but pick a small opening and go for it.

The vehicle is in a non heated garage, so no frosted windows to deal with, and can get well below 0 at times.

I usually don't feel like backing out and letting it run and go back in house on cold days, so just back out of garage and let it run for a minute or so, but that minute seems like a long time, especially when I'm running late, and I really cringe when I have to mash on the pedal with a cold engine.

Interesting topic, the suggestion to drive gently until the engine warms up sounds good, but what is best when you live next to a highway with posted speed limit of 65?, and some mornings the traffic is heavy enough that you have no choice but pick a small opening and go for it.

The vehicle is in a non heated garage, so no frosted windows to deal with, and can get well below 0 at times.

I usually don't feel like backing out and letting it run and go back in house on cold days, so just back out of garage and let it run for a minute or so, but that minute seems like a long time, especially when I'm running late, and I really cringe when I have to mash on the pedal with a cold engine.
In a case like that I'd let it warm up more than a minute ... probably more like 5 min. IMO, not good to hammer the engine shortly after starting when the oil is 0F or below.

No access to surface streets at all? If you do, take a short low speed loop before getting on the highway. Otherwise, wait til the coast is clear (even if you're idling for a few minutes), then pull out slowly and let the shifts happen at low RPMs til you're up to speed. Build a few minutes more time into your departure so you're not rushed.

In a case like that I'd let it warm up more than a minute ... probably more like 5 min. IMO, not good to hammer the engine shortly after starting when the oil is 0F or below.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, and would like to do when it gets really cold, but for me sitting and waiting for more than a minute seems like a long time.

No access to surface streets at all? If you do, take a short low speed loop before getting on the highway. Otherwise, wait til the coast is clear (even if you're idling for a few minutes), then pull out slowly and let the shifts happen at low RPMs til you're up to speed. Build a few minutes more time into your departure so you're not rushed.
No access streets, were right off the State highway, I try to wait for a decent gap, traffic has been getting heaver in the last few years, I just don't want to pull out and go slow when traffic is heavy.

Seriously? Who told you about this being an issue?
Btw, guess you don't use AC in the summer heat then.
I'm referring to the entire body of the vehicle being at a warmer temperature and then it going into a completely different environment like 50 degrees colder, not warming up the interior. Ever see a windshield crack become longer from hot and cold cycles over the course of a week or so?

From below freezing to -30c I let it idle for 20-30min, basically the time from when I wake up and hit the remote start to the time I leave. When it’s below -30c I might just let it run all night or set a scheduled start for 30min before I wake up and then go start it again when I get up(can only go 30min on the remote start).

All of this is mostly to have the truck warm for me. When it’s below that -25 c mark I make sure to be gentle on the power steering, brakes, shocks,etc for the first bit of driving to give them a fighting chance.

Maybe it’s overkill but my truck is my money maker so I take care of it.

My last truck had a really nice remote start that would start the truck every 3hrs for 45min each time. Was awesome for really cold nights!

One of the things I like about the ZF8 is that I can drive my Ram easy without backing up traffic when I'm trying to take it easy on the RPMs on winter days. You can get it up to city street speeds no problem without hitting 2k RPM.

On another note, if the dash display readout for the transmission temp is correct, my 20 mile commute to work with about 17 of that highway barely gets the it up to 185F on cold days. I thought it would take far less time/distance driven to do that. On a cold day, it probably takes 5 miles just for it to reach 100F.

I'm referring to the entire body of the vehicle being at a warmer temperature and then it going into a completely different environment like 50 degrees colder, not warming up the interior. Ever see a windshield crack become longer from hot and cold cycles over the course of a week or so?

Who told you that happened due to 'heat' cycles and wasn't caused by road imperfections?
Don't worry, Owen. I got your former post right from the start.

Who told you that happened due to 'heat' cycles and wasn't caused by road imperfections?
Don't worry, Owen. I got your former post right from the start.

Had a cracked windshield in the summer about 1 foot long, couldn't come around to having it fixed. Cold snap in the fall, crack goes halfway across the windshield when I see it next morning. Every morning afterwards, the crack got a little longer, you could almost see where it stopped and the angle changed...until it finally got to the other side of the windshield lol. I doubt someone is heating their garage to 72 degrees so I guess it doesn't make that big of a difference, now if you came out of a fully cranked up paint booth at 90 + degrees into sub zero temps, that would be an interesting experiment.

Going by my manual, it states in a myriad of footnotes, different information based on trim level. (It's an '03 SS, but really just a really dressed up GMT-800 Chevy 1500)

All it basically says is to start a cold engine and let idle for at least 10 seconds before engaging any gear and driving off. There is an asterisk footnote at the end of that sentence...

*If you have SS Trim model, no matter exterior temperature; wait for as long as it takes for fast idle to drop under 900 RPM before engaging transmission.

That's it. She does the usual GM start and gun no matter hot or cold engine to 2k RPM, initially. You know...crank-crank-ROAR! On the coldest Central Florida winter nights, at most she lingers at fast idle for only a minute. In that time, setting the seat belt, checking mirrors, tuning the radio, tapping the mirror and rear glass defrost and the seat warmers.

She's ready to go with stable oil pressure. Like others stated, I too drive like there is an eggshell between my foot and the noise pedal until I see *transmission* temps rise enough to grab overdrive.

By then I'm confident I have flow in the motor, warmed the differentials and brakes and she's battle ready. She actually loosens up and loves to launch and romp for less pedal input once fully hot. It can take upwards of at least 10~15 miles of 55+ MPH highway miles until you get that feeling and see the coolant and trans fluid temp settle at a consistent amount and sustained for a few minutes.

I think the manual states what it does to keep driveline clash at a minimum. You know, prolonging reaction sun gear life/ keep planetary shells alive as long as possible, and not knock all four of your U-joint knuckles apart prematurely.

In colder climes, start the car, put on the seat belt, wait for the computer to fully load and go, but don't gun it yet.
Just crank it and punch it jive turkey
Can do either one of these things, folks.

It may even work out, you can custom tailor it to your exact scenario. With me, I turn out from my driveway, literally 1/8th of a mile away is a stop light. Can usually let the car shift to 2nd on speed alone, nothing special, then. Stop, right turn on red is allowed, another 1/10th of a mile, not even. Another light you'll about never catch. Continue on, about a half mile you have a stop sign, continues on with road, by now your engine is beginning to warm up. Take it easy, let your transmission do the work, light to no more than moderate throttle input, you are on your way. Engine should be warmed up or almost fully warmed up before you get where you are going.

This would be a little bit different than the place on side of highway, get out at 3am, want to go home, get up to 80mph within about 3-5 minutes. Though you may even be okay there as well.. 🤷

have a 2 mile long backroad that’s great for this - tune things in - sip coffee … news on the radio
paid dividends yesterday when I spotted a Bald Eagle perched on a tree top - 1st I have seen in the south.

As much as I would like to have a heated garage, I am concerned about the temperature shock of coming out of the garage with a warm vehicle into freezing temperatures. Getting cracked windshields for one instance would concern me. How has your experience been?
The garage is usually set at only 52 degrees to save money and keep everything in a warmer condition. I have a full size refrigerator in the garage too. I turn the heat up only if I am in the garage working on something or changing oil etc. As far as your question about cracked windshields or any complications I have not had any problems. It's no difference than a car dealership or garage pulling out a vehicle from a service bay in -20 below zero weather. The tire pressure sensors in my 2005 Corvette that I have owned since new have never been replaced and it's partly due to the heated storage in the wintertime.

Can do either one of these things, folks.

It may even work out, you can custom tailor it to your exact scenario. With me, I turn out from my driveway, literally 1/8th of a mile away is a stop light. Can usually let the car shift to 2nd on speed alone, nothing special, then. Stop, right turn on red is allowed, another 1/10th of a mile, not even. Another light you'll about never catch. Continue on, about a half mile you have a stop sign, continues on with road, by now your engine is beginning to warm up. Take it easy, let your transmission do the work, light to no more than moderate throttle input, you are on your way. Engine should be warmed up or almost fully warmed up before you get where you are going.

This would be a little bit different than the place on side of highway, get out at 3am, want to go home, get up to 80mph within about 3-5 minutes. Though you may even be okay there as well.. 🤷
Spent a few years in Illinois and never let my old Dodge warm up longer than it took to get myself situated. On 10w30 QS conventional and orange can Frams no less... it was fine.

Back