Is there any practical benefit to letting a passenger car oil warm up before driving?

I start my car and let it idle for one min in the summer. Winter.. I start it, clean off any ice or snow, and go usually about 5 mins clearing snow. No snow? One min.

I was thinking the engine is designed to work best under certain conditions. One best, temperature, RPM, and I thought, oil viscosity. The consensus seems to be that 200F oil may be best but 20F oil won't make much of a difference and getting it up to 100F before doing gentle warm up driving doesn't help much.

To each their own… this is like many other debates on the internet and no answer will appease everyone.

I personally used to let my vehicle run so it was warm when I got in. I realized as I got older I was really just wasting fuel. Now I start the vehicle, clean off the windows if needed and gently drive off. No need to flog the engine or transmission until it’s warmed up some. As the heat builds up you can accelerate faster if you like. Again this is just my opinion.

Just my $0.02

Unless its a 15w or 20w i wouldn't worry about it at all in those temps. In that case i'd just let it idle for at least 6 seconds or so to let oil fully circulate and just drive gently, warms up faster that way. If you have remote start just use that, usually lets the seats and such warm up too.

What engine is it and what oil. if you worry you can always go for pennzoil platinum. Order from walmart if you want the 0w-40. pp usually flows better than its counterparts so no worries.

I have auto start on my Honda which is the only vehicle that sits outside. The others are in a heated garage. When it gets cold outside I run the autostart and let it run 10 minutes or longer just because it warms very quickly and seems to keep me from catching colds. I think your body takes a beating warming up 10 minutes in a very cold car here in South Dakota. The Honda burns such a small amount of gas while idling it is worth the extra money wasted for comfort. I don't really think it hurts an engine to take off right away if you keep the rpms down. The gears, transmission, bearings etc need to get warmed up too.

I have auto start on my Honda which is the only vehicle that sits outside. The others are in a heated garage. When it gets cold outside I run the autostart and let it run 10 minutes or longer just because it warms very quickly and seems to keep me from catching colds. I think your body takes a beating warming up 10 minutes in a very cold car here in South Dakota. The Honda burns such a small amount of gas while idling it is worth the extra money wasted for comfort. I don't really think it hurts an engine to take off right away if you keep the rpms down. The gears, transmission, bearings etc need to get warmed up too.
As much as I would like to have a heated garage, I am concerned about the temperature shock of coming out of the garage with a warm vehicle into freezing temperatures. Getting cracked windshields for one instance would concern me. How has your experience been?

Thats why I own multiple ice scrapers. Start car, clean windows, get in and go. Sometimes I have to crack a window open to prevent icing on the inside, but only for a couple of miles.

What did people do, while at work, before remote starters? Did they just sit in their car until it warmed up? Don’t know about others but I am certainly not wasting time in parking lot at work!
I’ve still never owned a vehicle with remote start. When I lived up near the Arctic circle I’d go start my truck 20 mins before I was finished work. Keep the fob with me so I could lock the doors. Here in Southern Ontario it doesn’t get cold enough to bother with starting up early.

on the truck I just hit the remote starter before putting my coat and shoes on. That’s enough for me.

For the Subaru, fleet work car, I go out and start it and she runs until all the ice and snow is melted off her. Could take five minutes. Could take thirty o_O:LOL:

For 9 months of the year I just jump in and go.

The other 3 months I use remote start on my work truck so it’s nice and toasty before I hop in when it’s cold and dark outside.

As much as I would like to have a heated garage, I am concerned about the temperature shock of coming out of the garage with a warm vehicle into freezing temperatures. Getting cracked windshields for one instance would concern me. ....

Seriously? Who told you about this being an issue?
Btw, guess you don't use AC in the summer heat then.

For 9 months of the year I just jump in and go.

The other 3 months I use remote start on my work truck so it’s nice and toasty before I hop in when it’s cold and dark outside.
Where in Ca do you live?

Are high revs the only thing to keep in mind on a cold engine? The post says to not go above 2500RPM on a cold engine but I never go above 2500 all the way to highway speed of 60MPH. Does load on the engine or vechile speed ever enter into the things to keep low on a cold engine?
As almost everyone has said in this thread, keep the RPM low until the oil has warmed up ... so, yes engine RPM and load is a factor to keep the engine healthy during cold starts and warm-up. And of course always using the correct oil viscosity W rating for your climate. The last thing you want to do is use an oil that's too thick (too high a W rating) for the cold starts you're doing, then drive off immediately and get into WOT redline drag races.

Where in Ca do you live?

The coldness factor is a personal one. I know people that remote start their cars and trucks in my neighborhood when the temperatures are in the low 40’s. They sit and run for some time until they get in and drive off.

Not something I would do nor would I suggest anyone else do but it’s their car, their business.

I don't bother letting the car idle more than usual in the cold. I just drive it gently at low RPMs regardless of the outside temps until the engine temp needle is at its usual place. Whether you're standing still or moving, as long as the RPMs are in the 1500-3000 range, you're good. Plus you get the benefit of >0 MPG if you're moving at those low RPMs. :)

Engines do not die from engine wear at 200K, at least not Toyota engines. The vehicles get retired for various other reasons - leaks, expensive non-powertrain wear items, cosmetic issues, etc.

I belong to the start and drive it immediately crowd. Fuel is too expensive to waste.

People's lives changing. . . . . .

By the time my F150 gets to 200k it will be >15 years old and I am pretty sure something in my life might change between now and then that causes me to buy a new car.

I also start my car. Give it 10-15 seconds and then drive gently.

Back